Offer Accepted

Rat

I'm still hoping a spot is going to open at Brandeis- it's my only shot. Have you heard anything about people turning offers down there?

I went to the admitted students' gathering, and here's what I saw. They took five people this year- Three Americanists, an 18th century Russia person, and a 20th century France person (i.e. me). One of the Americanists had already confirmed his intent to come and wasn't at the meeting, another one was likely to confirm, and a third was leaning toward confirming but was also accepted a couple of other places. The Russian person was choosing between Brandeis, UCLA without guaranteed funding, and UI-UC with funding, and seemed pretty torn. In sum, it's possible if not likely that one or two slots will open up. Not sure how they do it, I figure if the Russianist declines they'll take another European historian, but one of the Americanists may still decline so we'll see...

Good luck Rockeater! maybe we'll be colleagues next year.

Also, my acceptance was with full funding (tuition remission, 20k stipend, health care) which seems pretty awesome to me.

Edited by dflanagan

I just have a question about withdrawing. Since I've already accepted my spot at IU, should I notify the Chicago MAPPS program and tell them that I'm withdrawing? I haven't paid one bit of attention to any of that and replied to none of their emails. I was going to wait for my spot to expire after April 15. I don't mean to offend anyone who may be accepting their offer, by the way.

<br />I just have a question about withdrawing.  Since I've already accepted my spot at IU, should I notify the Chicago MAPPS program and tell them that I'm withdrawing?  I haven't paid one bit of attention to any of that and replied to none of their emails.  I was going to wait for my spot to expire after April 15.  I don't mean to offend anyone who may be accepting their offer, by the way.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It's better manners to withdraw your app. as soon as you know you are not attending (not to be your mom or anything), since there are people on the waitlist. Also it might be personnally better for you if you ever expect to run into their faculty at conferences, etc.

I agree with that, but I figured since this is a "social science" program where PhD applicants who get rejected like myself get accepted into without requesting for it, then it wouldn't matter. As to people waiting for spots for it, I'm not so sure about that. But then again, I guess a measly email won't hurt. Thanks.

<br /><br /><br />

That time came and went in the mid 90s.

*snickers* Agreed! Those Steelers fans are quite... insane. I have a friend who carries a Steelers locker room towel everywhere with her and takes pictures with that towel to prove that a Steelers fan was there! By the way, Steelers is pronounced "Stuhlers" there...

*snickers* Agreed! Those Steelers fans are quite... insane. I have a friend who carries a Steelers locker room towel everywhere with her and takes pictures with that towel to prove that a Steelers fan was there! By the way, Steelers is pronounced "Stuhlers" there...

Yeah, haha. My friend who went to Pitt told me stories of the post superbowl riots.

Pittsburgh. I suppose it's time to hide my Cowboys gear.

cool. see you in the fall. and be prepared to see stillers stuff on every inch of free space in the main office and on professors' doors. but don't worry, there are enough grad students that hate the steelers love, so you'll be fine.

one of the secretaries here has the largest steelers shrine on and around her desk i've ever seen. for april fools, me and two other students covered every steelers sign with either browns and bengals gear and pictures of chad ochocinco. it was pretty great.

cool. see you in the fall. and be prepared to see stillers stuff on every inch of free space in the main office and on professors' doors. but don't worry, there are enough grad students that hate the steelers love, so you'll be fine.

one of the secretaries here has the largest steelers shrine on and around her desk i've ever seen. for april fools, me and two other students covered every steelers sign with either browns and bengals gear and pictures of chad ochocinco. it was pretty great.

LOL. I don't know if it's wise getting on the secretaries' bad side. But that is hilarious!

LOL. I don't know if it's wise getting on the secretaries' bad side. But that is hilarious!

she has a good sense of humour about it. she even left it all up for a day so some of the professors could see it. the part she hated the most was when we covered up her last name on her nameplate and wrote "ochocinco" instead.

she is plotting her revenge, though.

she has a good sense of humour about it. she even left it all up for a day so some of the professors could see it. the part she hated the most was when we covered up her last name on her nameplate and wrote "ochocinco" instead.

she is plotting her revenge, though.

very nice! well, i guess i'll see you in the fall!

I've accepted Berkeley. Hope to see some familiar Gradcafe faces in the fall.

Congrats! I'm currently an undergrad in the History department at Berkeley, and despite some of the recent financial issues here, I really can't say enough good things about it. I really hope you enjoy it! Do you know who you will be working with?

Edited by notlightweneedbutfire

• 1 month later...