Offer Accepted

Rat

Well, as you can see by the stats in my sig, I only have one option, Yale, so it looks like I'll be going for that. It's an MA instead of the hoped-for PhD, and it's European Studies instead of history per se, but after a lot of discussion with current students, faculty, etc., it actually seems like the perfect program for me -- so color me excited. The only wildcard for me is funding, so I haven't actually committed yet. The whispers seem to be that I am likely to receive a FLAS, but I also seem to have heard somewhere that the Department of Education may not make final FLAS allocations until June (!), which means that I may be in limbo for a while. I'd rather be in grad school than not, so I would go anyway, but still -- it's stressful! Does anyone know anything about how this works?

Also, it looks like the collective wisdom is mixed on whether or not an area studies master's is helpful at all as far as getting into straight history PhD programs. The neat thing about this particular program is that it's quite flexible, so I'm comfortable with the decision -- regardless of how it impacts PhD admissions down the line, it certainly can't hurt, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Recently accepted my offer from Binghamton (with full funding too!). I'm really excited, especially since the faculty, program, and fit are all great for me.

I withdrew the rest of my pending applications.

Edited by breakfast

I accepted the offer from Notre Dame (medieval studies)! One offer turned down (unfunded theology, though; sorry, wish I could be of more help) and one app withdrawn.

And on that note--HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! GO IRISH! :D:lol:

Edited by Sparky

I accepted my offer to Johns Hopkins on Monday. Declined another, and still need to withdraw one from a waitlist. Apparently all of us medievalists have been able to choose without too much difficulty...

I've decided to attend The Ohio State University. I had already been given a very generous full-funding package but on yesterday Ohio State sweetened the pot a bit by informing me that I have been awarded with a University Fellowship.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you guys write whether you got financial support from the schools you got in? What type of a support? I am wondering if economy is getting better. I think it is not worse than the last year. Right? It was indeed terrible especially for historians. And now?

It was a more competitive field this year. Way more people applied. That being said I have been offered a fellowship at two school (waiver plus generous stipend, and TAships at 2 schools, waiver and decent public school stipends...). I didn't funding anywhere last year, but I had a much stronger app. this year... Some places at least are having event worse situations this year, I am not sure about overall trends though...

I accepted Columbia's offer over the weekend, so hopefully those of you who may be waiting on Berkeley, Northwestern, or Michigan will receive good news soon. Congratulations and good luck!

Any other Americanists going to Columbia here? I missed History Day in early March but am excited to get to know all of you...

I accepted Columbia's offer over the weekend, so hopefully those of you who may be waiting on Berkeley, Northwestern, or Michigan will receive good news soon. Congratulations and good luck!

Any other Americanists going to Columbia here? I missed History Day in early March but am excited to get to know all of you...

Were they all history programs offers that you rejected, or some kind of American studies/ethnicity programs?

I've just accepted my offer at Brandeis! Which thins the herd for anyone on Emory's wait list, as I'll be withdrawing from consideration there. Good luck to all! Anyone else settled on Brandeis/other Boston schools?

I've just accepted my offer at Brandeis! Which thins the herd for anyone on Emory's wait list, as I'll be withdrawing from consideration there. Good luck to all! Anyone else settled on Brandeis/other Boston schools?

I'm still hoping a spot is going to open at Brandeis- it's my only shot. Have you heard anything about people turning offers down there?