CriminalJustice/Criminology

Hi,

Did anyone apply to CJ doctoral programs? I am just wondering when the notifications for interviews are going out or do they notify by mail?

I applied to:

CUNY

Simon Fraser

USF

U of Missouri-St. Louis

Northeastern

If anyone knows anything--I would appreciate any info.

cheers :D

I don't know anything AT ALL about criminology/criminal justice other than that it sounds really fascinating and I briefly flirted with the idea of doing a MA, specifically to study the impacts of the justice system on minorities and to look at geocoded crime data...

Yay! :mrgreen: A fellow crim. person (we are so rare on these forums/results websites).

I applied for three Ph.D. programs:

Indiana U.-Bloomington

USF

University of Missouri-St Louis

I am currently a Master's student at USF, they are reviewing applications through next week (did you apply for the 1-15 or the 2-15 deadline?), so you should hear within the next two weeks, or so I'm told. Officially, they notify by mail, but the graduate director is really cool and she usually calls people before the letters go out.

I also spoke to a professor at UMSL, and he told me about the same timeframe for them.

I heard from IU already, first year fellowship, followed by an assistantship, no details on the dollar amounts though. They were my top choice, because there is a professor there that I really want to work with; I also met a few students at ASC and I was really impressed with their research and their opinions of the school. Plus I like the idea of living in a college town for a while--I'm sick of cities. I'm going to visit there the first week of March and, unless something really strange happens, I think that I will definitely be going there next fall.

What are your areas of interest?

Hi,

I am glad someone else out there has applied to CJ programs (they really are non-existent on these boards). I am an MA student at John Jay and have mostly been doing research in homicide studies. I am hoping to continue at JJ, but I also like the program at Simon Fraser.

Congrats on the offer---that must be a relief. :) I don't know much about that program--but hear that it is pretty good. USF wasn't looking at my app until now because they were waiting for some transcripts. How do you like USF? What is it like?

What are you research interests?

Its great to see other criminology/criminal justice people here. I got an e-mail from UI Bloomington this morning - in with three years of full funding - details to follow. I'm also in at UC Irvine, Temple, Rutgers, U of Cincinnati and interview at Penn State.

Still awaiting CUNY, Northeastern and U of Missouri.

I got an e-mail from CUNY on the 19th of Feb saying my application was with the admission committee and they gave me an id number. I don't think they do interviews, just acceptances. Although someone else may be able to shed some light on that.

Thanks for the congrats. Haven't decided where to go yet - some hard decisions ahead !!

Congrats on everyone's acceptances!

I just heard from UMSL today--funding and tuition. So now I am torn between them and Indiana, both have faculty members that I really want to work with. I am really drawn to the atmosphere at IU, and will be visiting there next week and I hope to be invited to UMSL so that I can compare. This is a really tough decision.

To gotteib99: USF is okay, but not really for my research interests which are state crime/corruption, macro-theories, and quantitative analysis. The faculty and the department are great, but the school (well, Florida schools in general) has a lot of financial problems due to budget cuts from the state (which does not seem to prioritize education. Its a shame because we have great crim. faculty at USF and FSU). The graduate union is trying to improve the situation though.

I also just really, really do not like Tampa. YMMV, of course.

Update

I got into USF and I got an interview with CUNY. :D I am pretty nervous about the interview and I am not sure what to expect. Has anyone gone through a CJ interview? Anyway, I am super excited as CUNY is my #1 choice.

Has anyone made any decisions yet?

I got the CUNY interview also, but I don't think I am going to go forward with it as I have already received offers from places that I had placed higher on my list. I haven't made a decision yet on where I'm going, but I'm trying to narrow it down. Good luck with the interview.

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone who applied at UMSl, have you heard anything past the initial "Hey you're in and here's what we can give you"? I was supposed to hear back from the director, who said that he would email and then phone, but its been almost two weeks and...nothing. I am wondering if I would want to go somewhere where they forgot about me already.

Eh, I'm now about 99.9% sure that I am going to IU. I am just waiting for the official letter so that I can accept :D I think I may have already picked out where I am going to live. I just wish that letter would show up so that I have the amounts and everything on paper.

Patience is hard :cry:

I e-mailed Missouri and they said they are working out the funding issues at the moment and for me to please not make any decision yet until they could put the full package to me. For me Indiana has been silent since they notified me. I got an e-mail about three weeks ago from a prof that was interested in me, telling me that I was in, and for me to e-mail the grad secretary to arrange a visit out. I responded to the prof and the grad secretary and neither of them replied!!! So that did not impress me.

For me I think the decision is coming down to UC Irvine or Rutgers, they are my two favorites ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Final results ~ I got offers from Simon Fraser, USF and CUNY/John Jay and waitlisted at NE. I am very happy that I received offers from my two first choices and have decided to stay at CUNY/John Jay. :mrgreen: I had a really nice interview and this program is by far the best match. Hooray!!! I can't believe the process is over. I am elated. Did you guys make any decisions? Also, did anyone write letters declining and if so what did you write?

Congrats on all of your acceptances! And on making a final decision! I am still waiting to hear from one more program.

I figure I would jump in here as I have also applied to a couple of crim programs. I got into PhD programs at Maryland, SUNY, and American's Justice, Law and Society program (which I guess is considered a crim program?). Has anybody visited any of the schools you got accepted into yet? I visited UMD and SUNY and they both seem great, but I always hear bad things about UMD in particular (cut-throat atmosphere among grad students, students stealing each other's research ideas, etc.). Has anybody else heard these rumors? How much faith do you put into what you hear about certain programs?

I was waiting on a fellowship that USF nominated me for. I ended up getting it, and it was actually a pretty sweet deal (22K for 5 years with no duties), but I am still going with Indiana U. I just really liked it when I visited, was impressed with the university, the faculty, and the graduate students--plus Bloomington just seems like a great place to do my Ph.D. (I am so sick of cities...well, urban sprawl, actually...and traffic, crime, strip malls, etc.). I also like how there program is structured, especially its interdisciplinary nature. My gut just tells me that's where I should be, and I think that I would regret any other decision.

I am working on my acceptance letter now (and therefore, my letters declining my two other offers). I kind of feel bad about writing the one to my current program (USF) since they went all out to get me this fellowship (and have been pressuring me to continue there), plus my current assistantship is with the graduate director who I will have to write the letter to (awkward!). Still, I really have to get it over with so that someone can come off the waitlist for funding. I would be interested to hear what other people are writing.

To: InquiringMind, I have heard the same thing about UMD from people (I didn't apply there because no one really shared my interests, so I don't know very much about the program other than generalities), and I haven't actually met anyone from there, but, yeah, that word seems to have gotten around. My advisor (who I do trust and who is a SUNY alum.) urged me to apply to both UMD and SUNY, but, in the end, neither program really fit for me. If you visited there and had good feelings about those places, I wouldn't be concerned with rumors. Did you get that impression from the graduate students at either place? I know that when we have visitors, I am very honest about the program, and I found that at ASC most graduate students from the programs that I talked to while I was shopping around for a Ph.D. seemed to do the same. I personally don't think that you could go wrong either way. Good luck on your decision :P

So, who is going to be joining me at IU?

Thanks for the reassurance yakuza77. I got very good impressions from the students at both programs. It is difficult to figure out which one I feel better about. This is not a decision I am looking forward to making, although I will be very glad when I finally decide.

• 10 months later...

I am on a short list at Irvine if more funding becomes available and I had a 1270 GRE. I am not sure what that means for their overall usage of GRE scores. Did you apply this cycle? I didn't apply to any of your other choices. I am in the Law & Society realm of Crim programs so it might vary a little for me.

• 1 year later...

I am on a short list at Irvine if more funding becomes available and I had a 1270 GRE. I am not sure what that means for their overall usage of GRE scores. Did you apply this cycle? I didn't apply to any of your other choices. I am in the Law & Society realm of Crim programs so it might vary a little for me.

Did you ever get in at Irvine? And at what point did they let you know you were on a shortlist?

I'm curious because I know rejection letters went out (and were received) late last week, but... I haven't rec'd one yet.

Thanks.

HA,

Post is from 2009 - person was last active over a year ago. Not gonna be much help. Also, from their past posts - the person is attending AU's Justice Law and Society.

Edited by sba2016