seeking for PhD in HCI application advice

Karlin

I am a MPhil in Advanced Computer Science student from Cambridge. I got rejected by most US HCI master programs last year, so I went to Cambridge in the end. Since my MPhil course is an one-year program, I am thinking about my next plan, which is to apply for a Ph.D. degree in US.

My research interest is in HCI, especially social computing and affective computing. Because currently I am pursuing a MPhil degree in Cambridge, and it is a research-oriented degree, the most natural choice is to see if the MPhil project suits my interest, and then continue Ph.D. study directly in Cambridge after finishing MPhil. But I am a person who enjoys seeking changes, and I want to experience US research and education.

I know applying for a Ph.D. degree in top US CS (HCI concentration) programs can be extremely difficult, so I want to be better prepared. My undergraduate major is Industrial Engineering, and I am a little worried about people will have no idea about this major and its connection with HCI. Therefore, I want to make most of my MPhil study to add something to my academic background. However, since most Ph.D. applications' deadlines are in December, by that time I may not have enough research and course outcomes to present in my CV. 

Besides, I do not know anybody who switched to pursue Ph.D. degree in US after finishing MPhil course in UK. Whether this is a disadvantage if I study in UK, and do not have enough connections with professors and labs in US? Do you have any advice for me regarding my situation?

Currently I am trying to strengthen my application regarding SOP, CV, research experience (but probably no paper for this summer) and also refine my portfolio (is portfolio an advantage in HCI PhD application?)

University of Washington is my dream school.

I will say if you're interested in an US university and haven't already, especially UW, start studying/prepping for the GRE. They are very competitive not only within the US but with International students also. 

I went from an engineering undergrad to cs phd but i studied computer which is closer. My SOP is what came up most frequently when talking with professors as I have a good idea of what research I want to pursue and was able to convey that without being too specific and having the professors think I'm "pigeon-holing" and not open to other research.

I had one formal research experience but no paper at the time and I do not have a masters. I will say with your uncertainty of whether you'll enjoy your masters it may be worth it to complete your first year, work a job during a gap year, and apply to US programs in that time. All the while establishing a good relationship with people at Cambridge can help you if you do want to return.

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2018 at 10:56 PM, Elephas said:

I will say if you're interested in an US university and haven't already, especially UW, start studying/prepping for the GRE. They are very competitive not only within the US but with International students also. 

I went from an engineering undergrad to cs phd but i studied computer which is closer. My SOP is what came up most frequently when talking with professors as I have a good idea of what research I want to pursue and was able to convey that without being too specific and having the professors think I'm "pigeon-holing" and not open to other research.

I had one formal research experience but no paper at the time and I do not have a masters. I will say with your uncertainty of whether you'll enjoy your masters it may be worth it to complete your first year, work a job during a gap year, and apply to US programs in that time. All the while establishing a good relationship with people at Cambridge can help you if you do want to return.

Thank you Elephas. I have made some preparations these months, and chatted with several prospective profs from some universities.

I think now I am fully aware of the fact that the research direction in Cambridge is not what I want. Especially, my favourite professor will not accept new PhD next year. I am ready to begin my app for 2019 fall... Wish you enjoy your PhD life!