Can I get in to grad school?

jrogden

I had a bit higher scores than you on the GRE, but still below the "average" scored for accepted students. Instead of applying for PhD programs, I went abroad and completed an MA. This may not be an option for you, but going abroad helped improve my application to the point of getting waitlists and some acceptances, no rejections. I highly recommend at looking funded MAs as they will help you develop your skills (foreign languages, writing, reading, critical thinking, etc), thereby improving your application and helping you to explain the "below average" GRE scores. Best of luck in your search!

Can you talk about the rest of your profile? For example, do you have a polished 15-25 page paper using original sources that utilizes historiography well? Do you have language skills? Have you done anything abroad, like teaching English? Do you have 3 professors who will give you glowing recommendations? What is your GPA for history classes alone? Will you be able to explain your low GPA and/or did your grades improve in the last two years of undergrad? I had an F my first quarter, but my GPA steadily improved and that upward trajectory looks much better to admissions committees than straight Cs and Bs across the board.

Regardless, I think it's a better bet to apply to PhDs and (hopefully funded) MAs. Despite fewer people applying each year, most PhD programs have been cutting cohort sizes so it's still crazy competitive, even at middling programs. You don't want to go to a middling program, you want to go to one where your subfield is respected so you have a shot at getting a job down the line. To get into more competitive programs, your application needs fewer "red flags." I agree with @WhaleshipEssex, improving your verbal and written scores is a good idea. Improve all the things you can change to make your GPA less important.