Who hasn't gotten accepted anywhere yet?

martizzle

martizzle, I do ask myself the question. Here I am with a PhD and two Masters degrees, and still wanting to do another PhD. I guess the grad schools probably think I am a little loony to be wanting to cross from Chemistry to Marketing. So I have only got rejections from them, even though I think I could probably start on my thesis if they would give me access to a behavioral laboratory and access to volunteers (test subjects). Well, it looks like I am back to looking for work in earnest.

sorry, i just saw this...idk about other people, but i like learning. think of leonardo da vinci. he was in so many diff fields, it was crazy: medicine, art/painting, art/sculpture, engineering, cryptology....why do we limit ourselves today? why cant we study different fields and do whatever...there is always some connection btw fields. i did math/phy, in music, i think theres a rhythm/mathematical sequence (especially in beats/drums); in english; i think theres a certain style/rhythm to writing (verbs are placed here, nouns there, adverbs only after this word/before that...i tried to write a sonnet once: theres a system to that. the words have to be placed in such a way that their pronounciations are similar and that they sorta rhyme at the end of the line)...so many connections in different fields. i did math & physics, and i'm trying to get into financial engineering (finance)....have a goal in mind (it doesnt have to be definite or constant, but your goal should be always knowing/having an idea where you can apply yourself and make a comfortable living). so while you study, you should know in the back of your head, that studying is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

i just thought about your fields: chem -> marketing. you probably could get something huge in the pharmaceutical industry, working with companies of marketing systems/plans for their products: you would be the perfect middle man. idk what your plans are after you get your degree in marketting, but i would think that maybe the grad schools are scared you would not apply the degree they award you. ps. you could do a lil research on your own, go out, meet random pple (or even use your friends) and do a preliminary study using them as your test subjects. then you could use your results from this test group to show the programs you apply to that you are very serious about wanting to study with them & they should seriously consider you...

but here i'm blabbing around...i know absolutely nothing in chem or marketting :)

ps. see how lame i'm; i was reply to the same topic on two different windows...at the same time lol

Edited by martizzle

sorry, i just saw this...idk about other people, but i like learning. think of leonardo da vinci. he was in so many diff fields, it was crazy: medicine, art/painting, art/sculpture, engineering, cryptology....why do we limit ourselves today? why cant we study different fields and do whatever...there is always some connection btw fields. i did math/phy, in music, i think theres a rhythm/mathematical sequence (especially in beats/drums); in english; i think theres a certain style/rhythm to writing (verbs are placed here, nouns there, adverbs only after this word/before that...i tried to write a sonnet once: theres a system to that. the words have to be placed in such a way that their pronounciations are similar and that they sorta rhyme at the end of the line)...so many connections in different fields. i did math & physics, and i'm trying to get into financial engineering (finance)....have a goal in mind (it doesnt have to be definite or constant, but your goal should be always knowing/having an idea where you can apply yourself and make a comfortable living). so while you study, you should know in the back of your head, that studying is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

i just thought about your fields: chem -> marketing. you probably could get something huge in the pharmaceutical industry, working with companies of marketing systems/plans for their products: you would be the perfect middle man. idk what your plans are after you get your degree in marketting, but i would think that maybe the grad schools are scared you would not apply the degree they award you. ps. you could do a lil research on your own, go out, meet random pple (or even use your friends) and do a preliminary study using them as your test subjects. then you could use your results from this test group to show the programs you apply to that you are very serious about wanting to study with them & they should seriously consider you...

but here i'm blabbing around...i know absolutely nothing in chem or marketting :)

ps. see how lame i'm; i was reply to the same topic on two different windows...at the same time lol

Thanks, martizzle. I've never limited myself in my scope of studies. I think it is more that others have imposed their limits on me. tongue.gif

Physics & mathematics is seen to be rather versatile, since it is heavy on quantitative. I know that many go into Finance and Economics at the grad school level. However, I know of very few people who have switched from Chemistry to another field (may be academics do not consider Chemistry as training you to do something transferable?).

I guess I am not interested in just putting marketing plans in place, but to better understand and develop concepts that aid marketing. That is not quite what industry wants (they want the plan and execution), and hence my hope of getting into grad school and getting into academia. Looks like I have to rethink my strategy...

I think I might have broken a record in history. So far I've received 16 official rejections, 3 unofficial ones. 0 acceptance. Don't even know how I survived the past five weeks.

I almost match you. I have 15 official rejections, 1 unofficial rejection, 1 waitlist, and 1 unknown.

However, I have been offered a MSW degree instead of a joint MSW/Psychology Ph.D. degree at one program.

So far I'm 0 for 6 and still waiting on 8. I'm tempted to email some of the programs to find out about my status, but I think I'd prefer to continue to wait and maintain a little hope rather than being told I'm not getting accepted. I thought undergraduate application decisions were random, graduate schools seem twice as random and far less efficient.

However, I know of very few people who have switched from Chemistry to another field (may be academics do not consider Chemistry as training you to do something transferable?).

I guess I am not interested in just putting marketing plans in place, but to better understand and develop concepts that aid marketing. That is not quite what industry wants (they want the plan and execution), and hence my hope of getting into grad school and getting into academia. Looks like I have to rethink my strategy...

true, to most people, chem is just that; the other fields most people would see a chem grad going into would be biology, medicine, pharmacy, engineering, idk...but things along those lines. you are right on that front though, its hard for people to see chem as transferrable...but then again, pple should realize that its the tools you have learned along the way that are noteworthy and USUALLY transferable; not the study material (except if you are going into the same field, then both the tools and the material are important)

i would have thought some pharm/chem company would have/like to have some dept/pple working on developing new marketting strategies/researching to improve them. basically people to tell the 'plan and execution' people how to improve their stuff. idk....i would think companies would like that sort of thing...but its your field, you would know this stuff better than me. its tough though...how do you make the switch? good luck to you man

I almost match you. I have 15 official rejections, 1 unofficial rejection, 1 waitlist, and 1 unknown.

However, I have been offered a MSW degree instead of a joint MSW/Psychology Ph.D. degree at one program.

wow...sorry about that, i wish you the best on the 1 unknown and the waitlist; i hope they work out great. question the MSW thing: when you were rejected from the phd and offered the MSW, did they say 'they would consider your application for the MSW program' or 'they would be happy to offer you admission into the MSW program' or how exactly did they tell you? (if you don't mind my asking)

wow...sorry about that, i wish you the best on the 1 unknown and the waitlist; i hope they work out great. question the MSW thing: when you were rejected from the phd and offered the MSW, did they say 'they would consider your application for the MSW program' or 'they would be happy to offer you admission into the MSW program' or how exactly did they tell you? (if you don't mind my asking)

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact wording, but the letter said someone along the lines of 'you have been accepted to the MSW program.' The program sent an email approx. two weeks after receiving the official letter asking whether or not I was interested in the offer.

so, since my last post, two weird things happened...

1) George Mason Univ finally emailed me back (after I emailed the dept chair), and told me that my app was missing my transcript. Its almost the end of March; seriously!!! :unsure: so i mailed my transcript again, this time with three stamps (hopefully that makes it get there faster...idk)

2) i got a call from the dept chair at howard univ saying that i was admitted :blink: i'm still unsure exactly how to feel. i've been rejected so much, i don't know how to react now. i was literally jumping up and down when he was talking to me (ok, maybe not literally jumping up and down, but in my mind, i was jumping up and down)...this shows there is still hope guys. it may not be your first choice, but things always have a way of working out.

you all know why you chose to pursue grad studies...be determined to continue with that goal, even in the face of opposition/adversity. hang in there, it will pay off. thnx for all the luv n support... ootg, pizzapie

Congratulations on the Howard University front! So all was not lost! Happy for you!

I'm sorry to hear about that, Allport (1954). At least there is still the waitlist. Keep hope alive.smile.gif

to feel. i've been rejected so much, i don't know how to react now. i was literally jumping up and down when he was talking to me (ok, maybe not literally jumping up and down, but in my mind, i was jumping up and down)...this shows there is still hope guys. it may not be your first choice, but things always have a way of working out.

you all know why you chose to pursue grad studies...be determined to continue with that goal, even in the face of opposition/adversity. hang in there, it will pay off. thnx for all the luv n support... ootg, pizzapie

Congratulations! See, this thread, gives me hope! :) Even if it's not your first choice, at least it should give you hope that you're wanted and worthy for a PhD in what you want to do. Good luck with your decision! I really love coming in here to see people getting their acceptance!

I must admit that the glacial pace with which the adcoms seem to be proceeding has taken much of the excitement out of the process. So far, I've been rejected by Purdue (16 Mar) and I am still waiting on OSU, UIUC, and Michigan.

My online status at OSU went from "AcadReview" to "Referred" on or around 7 Feb and I thought a decision would quickly follow. Not so much. I emailed them on Monday, but this is spring break week for OSU. As such, I am not expecting a reply until next week.

I've heard nothing from Michigan. I emailed the department on Monday but I've not heard back from them. If I don't hear something by Monday, I'll give them a call.

Finally, I did get an unsolicited email from UIUC this past Monday asking if I was still interested. I replied with a "definitely interested". Who knows what this means.

It really sucks to be sitting here on the 25th of March with no admits. I never thought it would take this long and the longer the wait drags on the more apathetic I become.

Congratulations! See, this thread, gives me hope! :) Even if it's not your first choice, at least it should give you hope that you're wanted and worthy for a PhD in what you want to do. Good luck with your decision! I really love coming in here to see people getting their acceptance!

Yeah! It's great to know that there is still hope!

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact wording, but the letter said someone along the lines of 'you have been accepted to the MSW program.' The program sent an email approx. two weeks after receiving the official letter asking whether or not I was interested in the offer.

Oh I thought it was one of those things, you know: the school rejects you from the PhD, but offers you admission into the Masters program or offers to consider your application for their Masters degree program...

thnx ootg & pizzapie, appreciate it...wish you guys the best of luck

Yeah, I don't have much hope for this application season - of my 5 programs I applied to I have been officially rejected from 1, know that 2 others have already had interviews and I still haven't heard anything (unofficial rejections?), am on 1 waitlist, and there's complete silence from the other program (which happens to be my top choice).

My nails are no longer in existence and I think that I may take to pulling out hair next..

=/

the night after my 2nd rejection, i barely slept. after dinner and a long talk with an old friend (met in 3rd grade, we're now 25), i started to think a lot about what i had been telling myself and how this all was making me feel. the next day i didn't feel better or worse but I did feel different. I am checking my email often and randomly daydreaming about hearing good news from my top 2 choices but overall I feel like I've got friends and family who are trying to put themselves in my shoes, and I'm lucky to be healthy and to have a roof over my head and to be living in NY state where my unemployment $ comes each week while I try to decide my future. and my cat won't care if I get my master's now or next year or in 5 years as long as I don't kick him out of my bed.

and Lost was really good this week, that helped.

true...i should have named it something better lol...and i totally understand that feeling of being hopeful one moment and being almost totally hopeless the next :(

time...arrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh...............i wish this would be over soon...and i'm accepted somewhere.

that sucks...i don't think its right for anyone to make that judgement. that's like the age version of racism (idk what its called).

good luck to everyone

Ageism : (

the night after my 2nd rejection, i barely slept. after dinner and a long talk with an old friend (met in 3rd grade, we're now 25), i started to think a lot about what i had been telling myself and how this all was making me feel. the next day i didn't feel better or worse but I did feel different. I am checking my email often and randomly daydreaming about hearing good news from my top 2 choices but overall I feel like I've got friends and family who are trying to put themselves in my shoes, and I'm lucky to be healthy and to have a roof over my head and to be living in NY state where my unemployment $ comes each week while I try to decide my future. and my cat won't care if I get my master's now or next year or in 5 years as long as I don't kick him out of my bed.

and Lost was really good this week, that helped.

Jennifer,

I appreciated your post, your positivity, and your reality check. I have been cycling from optimistic about the future to completely discouraged (where I have found myself this particular afternoon) and you post made me laugh. In spite of how depressed I feel at the moment, life is not so bad and one of these days I will manage to make my way into a doctoral program. I don't even watch Lost but it made me laugh to see that it brightened you week...maybe I need to watch an episode of Law and Order ; )

And to everyone I am glad to hear people are still getting acceptances and getting accepted off of waiting lists. I am currently on 4 waiting lists and waiting to hear back from 5 other programs (I had considered them lost causes at this point but after reading the posts on here I have a bit more hope).

Anyway good luck everyone!

I am finally not acceptance-less! My one school I applied to sent me the email last night. I am literally still shaking. I was so so so sure I wasn't going to get in and I was heartbroken by the idea. There is still hope, guys! I know it's so hard to think that way but there is!

Congratulations, parapluie!smile.gif