Any PhD Public Health People out there?

angrawa

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopkins, does indeed, have the huge name, but is it really that well known outside of the US? A ton of folks in the US don't even know about Hopkins (granted, those in the PH or medical fields will know Hopkins). I honestly don't thin the name recognition will do THAT much for you, the focus of your career will undoubtedly be on your research and you should definitely go where you might put out the better research.

Hopkins is well known and very well-regarded outside the US by people in public health/medical fields. (As someone who worked in a public health/epi dept at a research university in Australia.) Your average person on the street probably won't have heard of it, but then they probably won't have heard of most US universities beyond Harvard, Yale, etc.

Having said that, name matters little if no one there fits your research interests.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just heard back from two programs (PhD)...

- Medical Parasitology (NYU) - Interview this week-end.

- International Health (Johns Hopkins) - Admitted!

Still awaiting response from:

-Harvard (Global and Population Health)

-Yale (Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases)

-Boston U (Epidemiology)

-Columbia (Epidemiology)

Anyone heard back from these schools?

ok, I need advice! Hopkins (10k for two years, not including insurance) or Chapel Hill (14k for two years, includes insurance). This is for health policy and management. I have great advisors at both, both are great schools. I've thought about this a lot, I just want to make sure there isn't some factor I'm missing here. I feel like I might be leaning towards UNC because I'd have more freedom with my research there and cause it's not in Baltimore. :/

Which program did you get into? I applied to the health management and policy division? Any interviews? I have not heard yet! Any help would be great.

Someone on the results section the Health Policy program at Harvard invited their interviewees............. I have not heard. Nothing else I can report.

Thanks. The Hopkins website says that "a preliminary decision has been reached" but the link to the actual decision doesn't work! I applied to the health econ track and interviewed about two weeks ago.

I read the result stuff about Harvard but all tracks have different admission committees and procedures.

Edited by waiting2009

Someone on the results section the Health Policy program at Harvard invited their interviewees............. I have not heard. Nothing else I can report.

Someone's just added the same for Yale. The timing's about right. No Yale for me, I guess.

Someone's just added the same for Yale. The timing's about right. No Yale for me, I guess.

Not necessarily. I know for sure that Harvard doesn't interview all the people they plan to accept. Sometimes they just want to know more about certain applicants before making a decision.

Waitlisted at Hopkins (health economics track). Bummer. Good luck to everyone.

Edited by waiting2009

Not necessarily. I know for sure that Harvard doesn't interview all the people they plan to accept. Sometimes they just want to know more about certain applicants before making a decision.

Oh good. There is still some miniscule glimmer of hope!

hi

just a quick note that i was just yesterday invited for an interview at yale (phd epidemiology and public health). don't know much details, but i am looking forward to it. it will be via skype, though.

good luck

Good luck on your interview!

Hi,

Just heard back from two programs (PhD)...

- Medical Parasitology (NYU) - Interview this week-end.

- International Health (Johns Hopkins) - Admitted!

Still awaiting response from:

-Harvard (Global and Population Health)

-Yale (Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases)

-Boston U (Epidemiology)

-Columbia (Epidemiology)

Anyone heard back from these schools?

You heard from International Health at Hopkins? I applied to that PhD program also, but haven't heard anything. How did they contact you?

Also applied to Harvard- haven't heard from them yet. The admissions woman said they'd let us know by early March.

You heard from International Health at Hopkins? I applied to that PhD program also, but haven't heard anything. How did they contact you?

Also applied to Harvard- haven't heard from them yet. The admissions woman said they'd let us know by early March.

Hi,

I found out I was accepted at Hopkins by randomly checking the application website. I did not have a formal interview but had met with my potential PI in the past.

For Harvard (Global and Population Health, SD), did the admissions woman tell you how many applicants they had this year and how many spots are available?

Also, is this department interviewing (I think Epi has interviews)?

Thanks,

M

I found out I was accepted at Hopkins by randomly checking the application website. I did not have a formal interview but had met with my potential PI in the past.

For Harvard (Global and Population Health, SD), did the admissions woman tell you how many applicants they had this year and how many spots are available?

Also, is this department interviewing (I think Epi has interviews)?

The woman at Harvard didn't tell my how many applicants, but there are usually ~8 spots and limited department funding (according to a professor that I've been working with in that department). Not sure if they're interviewing, I think it just depends on the application and if they have any questions to ask you.

Congrats on Hopkins, I think my application was held up because of a transcript coming in from China... hopefully I hear from them soon! The waiting is the worst...

Cheers,

B

Edited by brooke

Just found out about this site.

In at UW - Health Services

Still waiting for:

Berkeley - HSPA

Michigan - HSOP

UNC - HPM

I'm getting a bit anxious since I don't want to lose potential funding at UW if i wait too long to accept.

Oooh, someone else applied to HSPA! Research interest/ POI? (Good luck!)

Oooh, someone else applied to HSPA! Research interest/ POI? (Good luck!)

Generally, I'm interested in provider behavior, in response to financial incentives, organizational structure, patient characteristics, etc... I applied for the health econ track, but I think my interests fall somewhere between econ and organizations. what about you?

I did my MPH at Berkeley, and I've heard through the grapevine that it was a pretty big applicant group this year... so fingers crossed, right?