Bad stats grade - is it worth applying to MPA/MPP?

czf92

Hi Everyone!

After a long time of lurking on this forum, I've decided to contribute. I am hoping to apply to MPA/MPP programs for next fall, but have not narrowed down my list yet. I was a humanities major at a top 15 liberal arts college, with a 3.3 GPA. My last four semesters in college, my GPA was a 3.8. The only TERRIBLE grade I got in college was in a statistics class that I failed my second year- it's the only quantitative class that I took in college a part from some sociology and anthro courses. My grades were not at all strong that year in college because of a death in the family that resulted in depression. I'm not an international student, but my family lives overseas, and I couldn't leave school to attend the funeral, and could not be with my family during an extremely difficult time. 

That being said, I've been studying for the GRE for a while and am taking it in a month, and am fairly confident in my ability to score well in verbal and writing, and I think my quant score will be just ok. I am also confident that I will be able to get 3 LORs; 2 from former managers and 1 from a pretty well known professor. I have about 3 and half years of work experience outside of college in fields related to public service- 1 year working for an international non profit in development, and 2.5 years working in charter school management, and I volunteer hours outside of my current job working with the international non profit I used to work for, and also volunteer tutor. I am incredibly passionate about public service, specifically urban education and policy. I'm looking for help here. Is it worth applying to MPA/PP programs at this point given that the one quant course I took, I failed! Or can work, volunteer experience, SOP's and LOR's possibly overcome that? Appreciate all the advice anyone can give!

Edited by czf92

There are a few programs that require at least a basic background in stats/economics. Did you retake the class for a passing grade to receive credit? If not, I highly recommend taking at least a basic intro to microeconomics or intro to statistics as a non-degree seeking student at a local college (or through an online course). I got a C in a microeconomics course sophomore year and then retook it 6 years later during my application cycle and got an A, which I am sure helped. 

A lot of applications have the option to explain low grades/extenuating circumstances in a personal addendum or some request that you include it in your personal statement. I'd look closer at what the programs you are interested in require. 

1 hour ago, kayemeh said:

There are a few programs that require at least a basic background in stats/economics. Did you retake the class for a passing grade to receive credit? If not, I highly recommend taking at least a basic intro to microeconomics or intro to statistics as a non-degree seeking student at a local college (or through an online course). I got a C in a microeconomics course sophomore year and then retook it 6 years later during my application cycle and got an A, which I am sure helped. 

A lot of applications have the option to explain low grades/extenuating circumstances in a personal addendum or some request that you include it in your personal statement. I'd look closer at what the programs you are interested in require. 

Thanks! I am looking into taking an online course, that will hopefully still let me enroll and release my grades before most of my applications are due. I know this is something I should have taken care of before when I had more time, but I didn't really realize how important stats was to most of the programs I want to apply to until now. I am also considering taking another year, considering that I actually really like my job and it would give me more time to make my app more competitive. Thanks again!

7 hours ago, czf92 said:

Also, if anyone has good recommendations on where to take an online stats course - much appreciated! 

I did at the UCLA extension course and in my opinion you can get A. You do need to dedicate approximately 2-3 hours a week to the course, however. You will have to contribute to weekly discussions and study for two exams.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/sciences-math/math-statistics/course/introduction-statistics-and-quantitative-methods-stats-x-402

On 9/6/2018 at 11:17 PM, invincible49 said:

I did at the UCLA extension course and in my opinion you can get A. You do need to dedicate approximately 2-3 hours a week to the course, however. You will have to contribute to weekly discussions and study for two exams.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/sciences-math/math-statistics/course/introduction-statistics-and-quantitative-methods-stats-x-402

Thanks so much! Super helpful.