Internships?

Hello!

I'm currently a junior, so I'll be applying to grad schools really soon.  I was wondering how you guys got internships?  So far, every internship I found online requires in-field experience, and as a student, I don't have that unfortunately :-(

I'm also a transfer student, so maybe there are internship opportunities at school that I just don't know about?  I plan on joining NSSLHA club this week.  Currently, I'm observing a SLP in an elementary school and another one at a clinic.  I also volunteer for a high school's special needs program twice a week, but I'm scared that these won't be enough to impress grad schools.  Thank you for reading!

What school do you go to right now? Every internship or volunteering opportunity I found related to SLP was through my advisor, she regularly sends out emails about opportunities to the students in the department. This led me to the opportunities that got me more experience to start off and then after that I could find them on my own just be emailing around and mentioning my previous experience. A lot of NSSLHA programs also have connections to opportunities like these. Good luck! Message me if you want to know more, always happy to help! 

Edited by slptobe!

I emailed a practice I observed at and asked if I could intern with them over the summer. They said yes and I got SO MUCH experience and learned so much that is already helping me in grad school. Obviously not everyone will get the experience as easily as I did. But definitely ask around and take what you get, if they say no to an internship but yes to volunteering/observing that’s just as valuable!

• 3 weeks later...

I just called and emailed several different local private practices and hospitals in my area asking if they have any opportunities for observations/shadowing, volunteering, etc.  A few of them did respond and one of them even took me on as a volunteer and I am loving it!  Don't be afraid to call around and show your interest and enthusiasm for the field.  The right place will eventually find you!