Just Took the GRE

So I'm an out-of-field candidate looking to start applying to programs next year.  My undergrad GPA from Rutgers is 3.25 overall and 3.5 in my major (English).  I honestly was just not focused back then.  Knowing that this is low for Speech programs, I studied the past month and took the GRE today.  I got a 164 Verbal and 151 Quantitative score.  I will not receive my writing score for a week or two.

I'm currently taking Bio and Stats at a local community college and will be taking leveling courses through Utah State online next semester.  My goal is to get all A's to offset my Bachelors GPA (obviously easier said than done).

Do you think I should aim higher and retake my GRE or should I focus on other aspects of my application more?

Edited by vintage13

Nice verbal score! I'd say as long as your writing score is good (4.0 or higher) not to worry about retaking it. Verbal is more important than quant and your combined score is above 300. There are so many ways you can strengthen an application beyond the stats.

7 hours ago, vintage13 said:

So I'm an out-of-field candidate looking to start applying to programs next year.  My undergrad GPA from Rutgers is 3.25 overall and 3.5 in my major (English).  I honestly was just not focused back then.  Knowing that this is low for Speech programs, I studied the past month and took the GRE today.  I got a 164 Verbal and 151 Quantitative score.  I will not receive my writing score for a week or two.

I'm currently taking Bio and Stats at a local community college and will be taking leveling courses through Utah State online next semester.  My goal is to get all A's to offset my Bachelors GPA (obviously easier said than done).

Do you think I should aim higher and retake my GRE or should I focus on other aspects of my application more?

I think you’re fine!

11 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Nice verbal score! I'd say as long as your writing score is good (4.0 or higher) not to worry about retaking it. Verbal is more important than quant and your combined score is above 300. There are so many ways you can strengthen an application beyond the stats.

Thanks! Yes i don't have much experience.. I worked as a "brain trainer" for a tutoring company for 6 months where I helped kids improve reading and logic skills.. And I was a firefighter for 6 months before I decided I didn't want to work in that field anymore.  So I'm changing gears - I just hope programs will view these experiences as somewhat relatable. I'm looking into volunteering at a nearby hospital.

Edited by vintage13

7 hours ago, speechietobe1 said:

Your verbal score is really good! How did you study for the gre? 

Thank you! I took the free practice GRE Magoosh offered first to see where I stood.  On that, I got a 157 Verbal and 144 Quant.  I just tried to learn as much vocab as I could and do as many practice fill ins as I could.  Magoosh has a good vocab builder page.  Also I read a lot of articles, reviews and stuff online - so I promised myself anytime I saw a word I didn't know - I would immediately look it up.  I was an English student so it comes way easier to me than math