Please either accept or reject offers!!

Septimius

To all of those who have been accepted to PhD programs, please notify the school in which you plan to go, and reject those that you are turning down.

I am waitlisted to a top program, and am loosing my mind amid all this waiting.

The bottom line is this: If you have been accepted, you most likely have been notified as early as late January, and you have most likely also received all of your acceptances and rejections as well... So enough waffling, please don't sit on offers that you are not going to accept.

I understand that it is a hard decision, and that you have to balance out the varying factors of funding, fit, location, etc,... But remember that there are a handful of waitlistees that have waited for over a month to hear from programs, but they cannot act until you do.

We all have had months, semesters, and in some cases years exploring the PhD programs out there, and where we'd really like to go, you even made it into a short list of those that you applied to, and then that list became shorter when you were accepted and given offers... This shouldn't be that hard of a decision. I think that to have had upwards of 2 months to sit on this is enough.

The school I'm waitlisted to is a top-ten program, and only made offers to 12 prospectives, and waitlisted 6, this school is my top choice, and I know that 3-4 of those 12 will likely go elsewhere, and of the 6 waitlisted, perhaps 2-3 might as well.

I'd rather not specify what school this is, as I do not want to influence anyone to accept. :P but please... enough is enough.

Edited by Septimius

I totally agree with the OP. I am wait listed at two programs. If you cant make a decision, at least narrow it down. If you have been accepted to 5 programs and you narrowed it down to two, turn down the three you know you arent going to.

I feel your pain that. At one program, I am the next person in line. But, they only accepted two people, so I am hoping one of them turns down the offer :D

While I completely empathize with you, I think it is a bit too much to ask other people to hasten their decisions for any reason. Even though people may have received their acceptances already, that does not necessarily imply that they have also received their funding packages, or that they are even ready to make a decision having received full funding at all of their admits. My current advisor told me to not make any decisions until pretty much the last minute, particularly as I am hoping for a boost in funding for one of my admits. The last thing I want to do at this point is make a rash decision that will affect my entire career trajectory, only to find that my other choice was about to considerably up my funding (which would likely have a huge impact on my future C.V.).

Moreover, consider that the choice is more than simply academic for most people, and it is not always an easy decision to make. The situation is conceivably more complex for any given person than you can know from the perspective of an internet forum, and too multi-faceted to assume that people faced with multiple choices are any less anxious or nervous than you are.

While I completely empathize with you, I think it is a bit too much to ask other people to hasten their decisions for any reason. Even though people may have received their acceptances already, that does not necessarily imply that they have also received their funding packages, or that they are even ready to make a decision having received full funding at all of their admits. My current advisor told me to not make any decisions until pretty much the last minute, particularly as I am hoping for a boost in funding for one of my admits. The last thing I want to do at this point is make a rash decision that will affect my entire career trajectory, only to find that my other choice was about to considerably up my funding (which would likely have a huge impact on my future C.V.).

Moreover, consider that the choice is more than simply academic for most people, and it is not always an easy decision to make. The situation is conceivably more complex for any given person than you can know from the perspective of an internet forum, and too multi-faceted to assume that people faced with multiple choices are any less anxious or nervous than you are.

I think the intent was more toward people who had *already* made their decision, not to people who are still going over their offers. Just to notify the places you *know* you won't be attending. Of course we wait-listers don't want to rush anyone's decision process! :)

Yes, my intention is that those people who already know where they do not want to go, but were accepted, to let them know. Although to sit on offer "until the last minute" as you put it, in order to extort more money from a program by holding your decision hostage is quite juvenile. The adcomm here at UPenn has on numerous occasions said how frustrating it is when applicants wait until even April to notify them, the understanding is that they notified accepted prospectives in mid-to-late January, it is professional courtesy to likewise be reasonably punctual in replying.

Also, as far as how ones future CV is concerned, to think that a difference of a few thousand dollars a year of a stipend given to you during your graduate program has any significant bearing on your marketability is ridiculous. What is important is where the degree is from, what published works one has, the quality of your dissertation, what those on your dissertation committee have to say about your potential, your prior teaching experience, your current research interests and pending publishing rights, what international fellowships and research one has achieved, and your fit for the department at hand. To assume that any school would say: "wow, applicant A received $17,500 a year as a stipend from Stanford, and applicant B received $18,500 a year as a stipend from Duke. Let's give the tenure-track position to the guy that was offered a grand more, because that means he's better." C'mon. Really think about what your saying here. To think that an institution would even take this into consideration is like saying that when your shopping for a new car you choose to buy the Volvo over the Audi because the Volvo has a bigger ashtray. While that might matter slightly to a heavy smoker, it is just silly to think that it should be considered important. There are 50 more important things that matter to an institution when reviewing job applications than who received more in funding, especially when it varies from year-to-year and region-to-region and even school-to-school in the same region on the same year!

To hold out on notifying a school for the sake of trying to bleed more from them, especially in a year when you are damn lucky to have gotten into anywhere, is unbelievably infantile and predatory. If this is how any of you choose to make any of your life decisions than maybe you should turn down all your offers, and instead go to Haiti and sell cans of Campbell's soup for $8.00 a can to the newly homeless and destitute.

My hats off to you Septimius! I couldn't agree more on everything you said.

I notified to schools that I had no interest in ASAP, and only wavered between two, and once I knew which one was right I notified both immediately. Here at Berkeley, the profs all have informed us to not sit on offers you have no intention of accepting, and to be courteous to those waitlisted by doing so. I'm not sure where the school is that you're waitlisted for, but I chose Chicago, and all others I rejected, so if any of mine in my signature are the one you're waiting for, good luck!

Yeah, to think that a school cares about whether your grad stipend is 15% higher than it would be otherwise is, well, just plain stupid. No offense to you personally ResPublica, you're just reiterating the advice, but your adviser sounds kinda like a douche.:P

Many of my friends were also waitlisted to their top choices, and some have finally been accepted, so keep hope Septimius! And hopefully more people will do the right thing, and stop treating their answer like a poker hand, and just just show it already.

Edited by eurocentric

Yes, my intention is that those people who already know where they do not want to go, but were accepted, to let them know. Although to sit on offer "until the last minute" as you put it, in order to extort more money from a program by holding your decision hostage is quite juvenile. The adcomm here at UPenn has on numerous occasions said how frustrating it is when applicants wait until even April to notify them, the understanding is that they notified accepted prospectives in mid-to-late January, it is professional courtesy to likewise be reasonably punctual in replying.

Also, as far as how ones future CV is concerned, to think that a difference of a few thousand dollars a year of a stipend given to you during your graduate program has any significant bearing on your marketability is ridiculous. What is important is where the degree is from, what published works one has, the quality of your dissertation, what those on your dissertation committee have to say about your potential, your prior teaching experience, your current research interests and pending publishing rights, what international fellowships and research one has achieved, and your fit for the department at hand. To assume that any school would say: "wow, applicant A received $17,500 a year as a stipend from Stanford, and applicant B received $18,500 a year as a stipend from Duke. Let's give the tenure-track position to the guy that was offered a grand more, because that means he's better." C'mon. Really think about what your saying here. To think that an institution would even take this into consideration is like saying that when your shopping for a new car you choose to buy the Volvo over the Audi because the Volvo has a bigger ashtray. While that might matter slightly to a heavy smoker, it is just silly to think that it should be considered important. There are 50 more important things that matter to an institution when reviewing job applications than who received more in funding, especially when it varies from year-to-year and region-to-region and even school-to-school in the same region on the same year!

To hold out on notifying a school for the sake of trying to bleed more from them, especially in a year when you are damn lucky to have gotten into anywhere, is unbelievably infantile and predatory. If this is how any of you choose to make any of your life decisions than maybe you should turn down all your offers, and instead go to Haiti and sell cans of Campbell's soup for $8.00 a can to the newly homeless and destitute.

You severly misunderstand. The idea of holding out for more funding is to get in a position to receive grants, research assistantships, dissertation fellowships, travel grants, ect as the degree progresses. My concern in this respect is not that I have a better apartment but that I have a fuller C.V. full of the research opportunities afforded to me by having been in a better funding tier during my graduate studies. Personally, none of my offers are oozing with money, so it behooves me and my family to wait and see if something better turns up, which is a significant possibility according to one of the adcom members.

Your reply reeks of arrogance and irritation. While I disagree with the notion of posting a thread like this, I at least made an attempt at civility when I replied.

Edited by ResPublica

Someone already touched on this, but I am sure that by the time we're done with our doctorates and are applying for jobs, stipends that seem great now will appear much more ordinary.  That is, of course, one of the reasons you rarely (but not never) see dollar signs on a CV for grad funding.  I doubt anyone is going to be all that impressed if you got paid 4 or 5k more per year than the next guy, even though that can make a big difference when choosing a program.

Edited by JustChill

Someone already touched on this, but I am sure that by the time we're done with our doctorates and are applying for jobs, stipends that seem great now will appear much more ordinary. That is, of course, one of the reasons you rarely (but not never) see dollar signs on a CV for grad funding. I doubt anyone is going to be all that impressed if you got paid 4 or 5k more per year more than the next guy, even though that can make a big difference now.

Again, I was not talking about dollar signs. I was referring to opportunities, not money. Different funding packages entail different teaching and research possibilities. While you all seem to be thinking in terms of stipends, I am thinking in terms of guaranteed TA and RA positions, or the simple fact that those who enter a program with better funding are more likely to be more competitive for department grants (such as dissertation fellowships) down the line.

I agree with the first part of your reasoning (experience over money), but how is the second part a fact? People who enter a program with an extra fellowship or whatever might be more actively recruited by the faculty, but once you're in, I doubt that means that it's a done deal in terms of other grants. I doubt that a department would be so obviously biased, as to award extra grants to someone who already came in with extra funding. Of course, if you were referring to external sources of funding, then that's a different story.

My choices are down to two schools, and the funding offer from one is way above the other's. When I emailed the latter school to see if they can match it, they said that 1) they can't afford to do that, but 2) they don't like to create too much of a difference in funding packages between their students, because it creates animosity within the department. I had never really thought about this until I read that explanation. (Yes, I do realize that they might have just been saying this to have a b.s. reason for their poor offer, but it does make some sense.)

Edited by JustChill

Again, I was not talking about dollar signs. I was referring to opportunities, not money. Different funding packages entail different teaching and research possibilities. While you all seem to be thinking in terms of stipends, I am thinking in terms of guaranteed TA and RA positions, or the simple fact that those who enter a program with better funding are more likely to be more competitive for department grants (such as dissertation fellowships) down the line.

As far a typical top-15 program is concerned, your stipend comes with a TA-ship. For these programs, there are very few matriculated PhD students a year, and of the three admitted AHMA apps at Berkeley for example, I doubt any of them will have a difficulty in securing further fellowships. Perhaps at a large PhD program, one that admits around 20 a year, you would have competition in applying for fellowships, but even so, how plausible is it that student A is selected over student B since his funding is slightly greater?

For the record, I'm not trying to be arrogant, and yes I am irritated, but none of my frustration is directed at you personally, so please don't take it so.

My intention for starting this thread is merely to let those know who have multiple offers to notify already. Especially those institutions that they have no intentions of attending. And if you're holding out at all, I sincerely hope that it is pure confusion and not because you're trying to add a few more dollars to your check. Yes, I am aware that you, ResPublica, are not necessarily referring to money, but in essence you are, you stated that it is important to be in a higher funding tier, which is more money, and by being in that tier you will have more opportunities... I don't buy that.

The higher up we move the more selective and competitive it gets, but what funding tier one is in could not, should not, and in a rational world would not matter to a committee allocating further fellowships. ***Unless perhaps you refer to a quite large PhD granting program.***

Love the post. I too am languishing on a waitlist (though in Historical Studies in Religion). In my pining and whining I've come up with an alternative scenario:

The people who received offers at Program X are themselves waitlisted at a program they would rather attend. If this is the case, then we are in waitlist gridlock until the top programs start solidifying their incoming class of candidates and trickle down to us less fortunate folks. There you have it, "waitlist trickle-down economics."

The people who received offers at Program X are themselves waitlisted at a program they would rather attend. If this is the case, then we are in waitlist gridlock until the top programs start solidifying their incoming class of candidates and trickle down to us less fortunate folks. There you have it, "waitlist trickle-down economics."

This is unfortunately a very true scenario. One of the profs that is on the adcomm here at UPenn, told us all that this happens quite regularly. Also, since this year things are even worse than last year, the number of straight-up accepted students is down, waitlists are shorter, and the total number of apps is even higher all contribute to this. Plus, many schools are offering less funding than they typically have in the past. Which also makes me worry that those that are waiting for more funding might not even get it at all. UPenn had very deep pockets, and typically make offers to around 20 students, expecting 8-10 to accept. This year they could only offer to those that there were funds to back. So, while there possibly might be some truth to "sitting on an acceptance for more money" I doubt that that will produce much in this economic climate.

As far a typical top-15 program is concerned, your stipend comes with a TA-ship. For these programs, there are very few matriculated PhD students a year, and of the three admitted AHMA apps at Berkeley for example, I doubt any of them will have a difficulty in securing further fellowships. Perhaps at a large PhD program, one that admits around 20 a year, you would have competition in applying for fellowships, but even so, how plausible is it that student A is selected over student B since his funding is slightly greater?

For the record, I'm not trying to be arrogant, and yes I am irritated, but none of my frustration is directed at you personally, so please don't take it so.

My intention for starting this thread is merely to let those know who have multiple offers to notify already. Especially those institutions that they have no intentions of attending. And if you're holding out at all, I sincerely hope that it is pure confusion and not because you're trying to add a few more dollars to your check. Yes, I am aware that you, ResPublica, are not necessarily referring to money, but in essence you are, you stated that it is important to be in a higher funding tier, which is more money, and by being in that tier you will have more opportunities... I don't buy that.

The higher up we move the more selective and competitive it gets, but what funding tier one is in could not, should not, and in a rational world would not matter to a committee allocating further fellowships. ***Unless perhaps you refer to a quite large PhD granting program.***

In this case, I am in fact referring to a very large PhD granting program. UCLA history claims to be the largest department in the country, and this is likely where I will be attending, so it is important to me that I have a realistic assessment of what will happen during my degree progress.

As I said I will likely be attending UCLA, let me explain explicitly why I have yet to accept that offer or decline my other. UCLA is probably academically the best fit that I could hope for in any school, however I am only being offered tuition remission through a readership for the first year and a TAship for the second and third year. Everything else is up in the air. My other admit is utterly and completely unfunded. While the choice does seem stupidly obvious, it really isn't. I have been told by my unfunded admit that I may very well end up with a financial offer in the coming weeks. Because I have a family, I have to be exceedingly circumspect about what sort of commitment I am making here.

As for the idea that entering with a better funding package leads to even better funding possibilities down the line, this is something that was strongly impressed upon me in the History 2010 thread when I posted my acceptance to UCLA. I don't really care to dig it up at the moment, but the date of the post should be around Feb. 18th if you care to search out the replies to which I am referring to. I then took the ideas expressed in that thread to my advisors, who agreed that there certainly can be such issues in departments where funding is drastically different from one student to the next.

My point in sharing this, and posting my previous replies, is an attempt to show how the process just isn't as simple as the OP made it out to be. Just because one school looks like the clear choice right now, does not mean that will be the same case next week or even later today for all I know. While I really wish I could move on from my other admit and make way for someone wait listed there, it just isn't that easy. I suppose I am different because I have a family, and therefore must place a greater importance on funding packages than I would like, but it should go to show that not every case of "accept this offer, deny that one" is so cut and dry, and this, I assume, is why people such as myself will likely be waiting until April before making our final decisions. I know it must really suck to be on the other side of fence here, but there are reasons as to why people have yet to show their hands, and they aren't always vapid or greedy.

In this case, I am in fact referring to a very large PhD granting program. UCLA history claims to be the largest department in the country, and this is likely where I will be attending, so it is important to me that I have a realistic assessment of what will happen during my degree progress.

As I said I will likely be attending UCLA, let me explain explicitly why I have yet to accept that offer or decline my other. UCLA is probably academically the best fit that I could hope for in any school, however I am only being offered tuition remission through a readership for the first year and a TAship for the second and third year. Everything else is up in the air. My other admit is utterly and completely unfunded. While the choice does seem stupidly obvious, it really isn't. I have been told by my unfunded admit that I may very well end up with a financial offer in the coming weeks. Because I have a family, I have to be exceedingly circumspect about what sort of commitment I am making here.

As for the idea that entering with a better funding package leads to even better funding possibilities down the line, this is something that was strongly impressed upon me in the History 2010 thread when I posted my acceptance to UCLA. I don't really care to dig it up at the moment, but the date of the post should be around Feb. 18th if you care to search out the replies to which I am referring to. I then took the ideas expressed in that thread to my advisors, who agreed that there certainly can be such issues in departments where funding is drastically different from one student to the next.

My point in sharing this, and posting my previous replies, is an attempt to show how the process just isn't as simple as the OP made it out to be. Just because one school looks like the clear choice right now, does not mean that will be the same case next week or even later today for all I know. While I really wish I could move on from my other admit and make way for someone wait listed there, it just isn't that easy. I suppose I am different because I have a family, and therefore must place a greater importance on funding packages than I would like, but it should go to show that not every case of "accept this offer, deny that one" is so cut and dry, and this, I assume, is why people such as myself will likely be waiting until April before making our final decisions. I know it must really suck to be on the other side of fence here, but there are reasons as to why people have yet to show their hands, and they aren't always vapid or greedy.

Good. I am glad that the air is cleared here, and this post has returned to one of usefulness.

What you say, I said above, makes perfect sense in terms of a large program (which UCLA is), so with that I entirely concur. I will check out the thread though for more info as you suggested. Thanks.

When you have a family to consider it changes everything, and hopefully funding comes through for you that is adequate for your needs. But at least you're down to two. My original request to those out there is more geared to the fortunate few who have a handful of open offers from multiple top-tens and are procrastinating in giving answers, not so much to those who for good reasons are still waiting.

At least this will all be over in about a month.

I am sorry to throw some more flame on the fire but this thread starts with an understandable request and turns it into a selfish and accusatory demand. As someone who is waiting for financial aid decisions from a number of schools I can say that there are a large number of reasons people wait for all this information to be finalized. A lot of them are financial. Predatory and juvenile? What makes you think that people who want more money per month from their schools do it because they are hungry for cash? If money was the main concern PhD seems like the wrong choice to begin with. Could it be possible that some people really need the extra 200 dollars to survive? Who are you to judge the motivations and circumstances of diverse applicants that you know absolutely nothing about. PhD application is tough and the decision is one that is going to affect you for a significant portion of your life. Do you want people to rush their admission decisions or to not try improving their aid package because YOU are on a waitlist? This is infuriatingly obtuse and makes me wonder if you would be pondering on the same issue when you were the one 'sitting on' admits. From the entitled attitude on your posts I highly doubt that you would be as considerate as you demand everyone else to be. This is a nasty way to let off steam in this frustrating times.

If there are really people who know exactly where they want to go and have all the financial issues sorted out but are using their admits to milk departments of their budgets although they don't need the extra money, shame on them. But your plea won't affect those guys. It will just end up frustrating people like me with a couple of acceptances but very little information on financial aid at all. We respect and want to be part of the departments we apply to and at least deserve the right to make a good decision after we receive all the relevant information. We don't need the impatient harassment of self-indulgent applicants.

ResPublica is entirely right about funding tiers at schools. you want to start with the best possible package because the most prestigious awards throughout grad school from your own department and your own institution will fall to you first. having a number of fellowships, rather than fully-funded TAships, on your CV are also necessary to be competitive for external grants and fellowships, both during and after your PhD.

you don't merely want to go to a good program. you want to be (perceived as) the best student in your cohort at your good program. and that means securing the best fellowships on offer. and THAT can mean waiting for other admits to reject their acceptances so their incoming fellowships can fall to you.

Look. I'm writing this thread well after top PhD programs have notified. The one in which I am waitlisted for that I want notified their accepted applicants in late January, and gave the funding info within a week. (A fellow student of mine was lucky enough to be on the first list)

I could understand your hostility towards me if I posted this a month ago, but please... It's mid-March. The top programs have already had their prospectives weekend; and all their accepted apps have had weeks to mull over the finances. If you also noticed, I mentioned that the school that I am waitlisted for is a top-ten school. I'm not saying this to brag or sound arrogant, but rather for the simple fact that those accepted to Harvard and Yale have known for months, and quite frankly, they're probably not waiting on that response from the University of Puerto Rico. So, since Harvard and Yale both have offered great packages, and are stellar schools, make up your mind already!

As I said before, we all since being freshman have waited for, and anticipated going into a PhD program, and have likely looked over our top choice programs hundreds of times, nothing new is going to pop up that makes you change your mind, the funding offers in this economic climate are more-or-less set in stone, so... Just because some applicants are afraid to commit why should those waitlisted suffer?

Again.... let me clarify why, and to whom this thread was started. (I'm getting sick of having to re-say this)

#1: To those who are accepted to numerous schools, and already know where they want to go: NOTIFY THE SCHOOLS.

#2: To those who are accepted to numerous schools who might not realize that there are waitlistees waiting: PLEASE NOTIFY THE SCHOOLS.

#3: To those who are seriously confused, and weighing out options between a few: NOTIFY THOSE THAT YOU DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT. And good luck in figuring out which is best. But please try to answer reasonably soon.

Papercuts: When I was referring to those who are being predatory and juvenile, as is clear in the post, it was directed to those who know where want to go, and are deliberately waiting to see if they can bleed the school for more money as a tactic not those who actually need it.

And no... I have notified those programs that I have been accepted to that I know for sure I do not want, and did it even before I was waitlisted. As of now I am waitlisted at this one top-ten PhD program, and am waitlisted at a 10-15 program. I have outstanding offers from fully-funded MA programs, but they either accept or deny and do not utilize a waitlist of any kind, so the reason that I am sitting on them is because it does not matter to any other applicants.

I think I have to agree with papercuts. These brilliant strawman applicants with great funding packages from Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, who are sitting on the lot and trying to extract more dough for the sheer evil joy of it--if they exist at all--almost certainly don't read these boards, which are after all full of friendly commiseration, stories of funding crisis, and sympathetic tales from the waitlist. The effect of the OP seems rather to have been to offer the undecideds--probably still a majority at this point!--who are already losing plenty of sleep over what may be their most important life decision for the next five or ten years, an extra helping of guilt over their terrible selfishness.

I'd be willing to bet that most people on this forum who have more than one offer they're still considering could give you reasons just as convincing as the folks who've already been 'excused' in this thread. But blanket castigation followed by piecemeal exemption still spreads a lot of hurt feelings about. I understand the feelings behind this thread (adding to my own slow decision-making is the fact that I'm waitlisted at my hometown school), but it left a very sour taste.

Look. I'm writing this thread well after top PhD programs have notified. The one in which I am waitlisted for that I want notified their accepted applicants in late January, and gave the funding info within a week. (A fellow student of mine was lucky enough to be on the first list)

I could understand your hostility towards me if I posted this a month ago, but please... It's mid-March. The top programs have already had their prospectives weekend; and all their accepted apps have had weeks to mull over the finances. If you also noticed, I mentioned that the school that I am waitlisted for is a top-ten school. I'm not saying this to brag or sound arrogant, but rather for the simple fact that those accepted to Harvard and Yale have known for months, and quite frankly, they're probably not waiting on that response from the University of Puerto Rico. So, since Harvard and Yale both have offered great packages, and are stellar schools, make up your mind already!

As I said before, we all since being freshman have waited for, and anticipated going into a PhD program, and have likely looked over our top choice programs hundreds of times, nothing new is going to pop up that makes you change your mind, the funding offers in this economic climate are more-or-less set in stone, so... Just because some applicants are afraid to commit why should those waitlisted suffer?

Again.... let me clarify why, and to whom this thread was started. (I'm getting sick of having to re-say this)

#1: To those who are accepted to numerous schools, and already know where they want to go: NOTIFY THE SCHOOLS.

#2: To those who are accepted to numerous schools who might not realize that there are waitlistees waiting: PLEASE NOTIFY THE SCHOOLS.

#3: To those who are seriously confused, and weighing out options between a few: NOTIFY THOSE THAT YOU DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT. And good luck in figuring out which is best. But please try to answer reasonably soon.

Papercuts: When I was referring to those who are being predatory and juvenile, as is clear in the post, it was directed to those who know where want to go, and are deliberately waiting to see if they can bleed the school for more money as a tactic not those who actually need it.

And no... I have notified those programs that I have been accepted to that I know for sure I do not want, and did it even before I was waitlisted. As of now I am waitlisted at this one top-ten PhD program, and am waitlisted at a 10-15 program. I have outstanding offers from fully-funded MA programs, but they either accept or deny and do not utilize a waitlist of any kind, so the reason that I am sitting on them is because it does not matter to any other applicants.

Your characterization of those who have financial aid packages but are waiting to see if more prestigious funding packages become available as seeking to "bleed" a school to the detriment of those waiting for funding misses the point. As StrangeLight said, many programs have different funding tiers. Some packages are more prestigious than others. It make perfect sense to wait for the best funding package possible. While one, because one already has funding, may not "need" additional funding economically speaking (and most of us understand that the price tags of various packages will not dramatically differ), certain fellowships are more valuable than others in non-monetary terms.

WOW! I am so glad I decided to take a week off from the grad cafe; it is probably good for everyone to back away from this forum for a moment just to breathe and not allow "PhD-related" talk of any kind to permeate the entirety of your existence. Go do something random!

With regard to the ongoing conversation, I think it is appropriate for those who have made decisions to make those decisions known as soon as possible; there some individuals who have been waitlisted, and could possibly benefit from your punctuality on the matter. That said, I tend to agree with ResPublica and StrangeLight on this one. It is not inimical to fairness to hold out for the most prestigious offer that you can get. Just as those waitlisted want to desperately gain admission into a program, there are individuals who have already been accepted who desperately want to put themselves in a position to ascertain future fellowships that lead to greater opportunities. In a sense, those who have been admitted but are holding out for possible fellowships are feeling sort of waitlisted themselves; as other admits decline their offers, fellowships could possibly fall to them as StrangeLight pointed out.

Just one tidbit piece of explanation as to why I haven't formally accepted an offer:

I'm visiting the school this weekend, and I'd really like to spend a little time speaking with my potential advisers in person, in the same room, before I make a decision to commit to being connected with them for basically the rest of my life. It's like a weird professional marriage, so even though this is my top choice, I don't want to commit to working with people who might recoil at my mere physical presence. Paper, email, and phone is one thing, eyeball to eyeball another.

This isn't to take a side in this debate, but just to say that for me at least it's got nothing to do with more money, and everything to do about who I'm going to be going on this journey with for the next 5+ years.

I kind of feel like applicants with offers have the right to take their time in finalizing their decisions (and I'm on wait-lists, for what it's worth), and that the OP comes across as a bit self-centered. Also, I received an acceptance yesterday, so it's not like admitted applicants are necessarily sitting on acceptances that they've had for several weeks.

More importantly, can anyone speak in more concrete terms to the issue of better fellowships leading to better fellowships further along the PhD track? It seems somewhat unfair to award fellowships based on who already has fellowships (rather than on some other competitive basis), but I basically have no idea how graduate programs work. Also, is whether or not someone got some random "prestigious" fellowship at whatever program they went to really going to be a significant factor in terms of getting a teaching job (especially relative to factors like what program they're getting their PhD from, the strength of their dissertation, etc.)? It seems like kind of a minor issue to me, assuming that you are otherwise performing.