Is it possible to be accepted into a Biostat Ph.D. program without Real Analysis?

I know that Real Analysis is mandatory for most of the top Stat Ph.D. programs, but is it mandatory for Biostat programs? 

Here are my stats:

Undergrad Institution: UNC 
Major(s): Stat and Econ
GPA: 3.5 Major GPA: 3.55
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

GRE General Test:
Q:
 169 V: 161 W: 4.5 

Classes: 
Calc 1-2: High School  Calc 3: B Econometric: A- DiffEq: C Linear Algebra: B Probability: A Stochastic: B Optimization: B Time Series(Grad level Class): B+ Other math and econ classes: Bs and As
As in couple other stat modeling class focused on SAS, R, and Excel 

LoR: From stat and econ professor I have good relationships with. Expect them to be okay. 

I'm adding some Biostat Ph.D. programs to my list of schools, so far I have UNC, Michigan, Columbia, Ohio State, and Boston University. Is it worth the money and effort to apply to these reach programs? What are some mid-tier programs that I should add to my list?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by CarolinaSmash
add a sentence

It's not absolutely mandatory, especially for programs outside the top five, but you have to have some other evidence you can handle the coursework. With your record, I have trouble seeing you getting into a top 20 biostat PhD (and that's ranking within biostatistics specifically, so basically the top 70 US News).  Frankly, you would be wasting your money applying to the programs you listed - they are beyond reaches. 

1 hour ago, bayessays said:

It's not absolutely mandatory, especially for programs outside the top five, but you have to have some other evidence you can handle the coursework. With your record, I have trouble seeing you getting into a top 20 biostat PhD (and that's ranking within biostatistics specifically, so basically the top 70 US News).  Frankly, you would be wasting your money applying to the programs you listed - they are beyond reaches. 

I think you're a touch pessimistic. I don't think it would be a waste of money for @CarolinaSmash to apply to biostat PhD programs ranked in the 15-25 range, and perhaps even a handful in the 8-15 ballpark.

Edited by cyberwulf

Agreed that you can get into some biostat programs without real analysis. However, even if you are admitted, some of the material will be much more difficult for you. So if at all possible, you should take real analysis next semester. It probably won't help your application, but it will help you as a graduate student, wherever you end up. Also, if you are still at UNC, Math 521 is offered in the spring and would be sufficient preparation for many programs. 

• 2 weeks later...

@cyberwulf Thank you for your reply. I've decided to only apply to Statistics Masters programs. Do you have any recommendation on what ranges of schools I should apply to?  So far I have UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wisconsin, Chicago, Michigan and Penn State on my list. My biggest fear is getting rejected from every single program ?