Dinner with current graduate student?

Nytusse

So I have received a rather grueling itinerary for my prospective students' weekend, and there are several dinners with current students written in. How does that work in terms of paying? And the recruitment coordinator wants to take me and my husband out; to me, that sounds like I don't pay, but this person is also a current student. Does the school give funds to the current students who go out with me? I'm a little confused.

Departments have secret funds for things like this. The grad student will probably either use a university/department credit card, or submit receipts to their department to get reimbursed. I work with these funds a lot in my current job. From talking to faculty at other universities, these secret funds exist everywhere for EXACTLY this kind of situation (recruiting), as well as for unexpected travel, food for department/lab meetings, and emergency supply purchasing.

I would be shocked if they expected you to pay for anything included on your itinerary. Students and profs even bought us lots of drinks during the open house weekend I just attended. Plus, why would you want to go to a school that didn't take care of you when you visited, you know?

I never paid for any meals, drinks, anything! At 2 different visitation weekends as well. I got the impression that the grad students were either being reimbursed or they had department credit cards. But, since you said you are bringing your husband, I can't speak to that, they would probably cover him as well since they invited him? I would be safe though and bring some either card/cash just because I would never want to get stuck and not have money when I need it.

Why are the funds secret?! blink.gif

I mean, there is usually a slush fund that sort of rolls over from year to year, with a little put in from the budget every so often. I guess it's important to mention that my office is mainly grant-funded and non-academic, so that affects how we can use the majority of our money, with this other account covering miscellaneous things.

TMI, probably... :rolleyes:

Moral: Well-organized departments would just have recruiting-specific money, and if that runs out, they probably have something else available to cover your meals. Don't worry! They're going to impress you as much as possible when you visit, Nytusse!

In my experience, the grad students saved receipts to be reimbursed when they took us out. The only thing that was not covered was alcohol, for which you may be on your own.

Thanks for all the answers, everyone. I'm so worried about doing something stupid/socially awkward, especially since I'm going a couple of days early and will have FIVE whole days to make an idiot out of myself.

I am contemplating just accepting the offer prior to visiting so that they can't take it back!

I'm surprised if you have to pay for your dinner, since there is a budget for these "recruitment activities".

Not always the case. My current dept doesn't have such funds, instead the grad students often pay out of their own pocket (and their advisor reimburses them usually).

Not always the case. My current dept doesn't have such funds, instead the grad students often pay out of their own pocket (and their advisor reimburses them usually).

Same here. I paid out of my pocket for the student I was hosting. No reimbursements of any kind..but it was just one meal, ~$7. The rest of their meals were at the dept.

My school has department funds set aside for that...so everyone enjoys a free meal! I worried first, too. :)

It's a very nice change from undergrad -- I remember paying a pretty penny for lunch at a prospective student orientation!