Which GRE grade shall I report?

usmeme

Hey, all. I am an international student. It's good to find here.

The thing is that I took GRE twice, and the distributions of my GRE grades are, 161(V)/170(Q)/4.0, 159(V)/170(Q)/4.5

I am wondering which grade I shall report to the targeted school. On the one hand, the first total score exceeds 330 but the analytical writing part is only 4.0. On the other hand, the analytical part in the second is higher but the total score is only 329.

My targeted schools are most from first tier. I wonder if they pay much attention to the writing part for international students or they care more about your total score.

Really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Many (maybe most?) programs look at your highest score for each section of the GRE regardless of the distribution of these scores across attempts. In other words, you should be able to submit the scores from both tests, and the program would consider your overall scores to be 161(V), 170(Q), and 4.5(W). 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar question about GRE. I scored 163(V)/165(Q)/4.0 and am shooting to top tier schools. Particularly worried if top-10 schools would pass on my file based on the low writing score. 

Should I retake it?

Edited by misaki_rabbit

On 10/22/2018 at 10:24 AM, misaki_rabbit said:

I have a similar question about GRE. I scored 163(V)/165(Q)/4.0 and am shooting to top tier schools. Particularly worried if top-10 schools would pass on my file based on the low writing score. 

Should I retake it?

From what I know, the AWA score really isn't that important. Given your verbal score, I think you should be fine especially if your SOP and writing sample are in good shape. Btw, your question is answered in the stickied "Faculty perspectives" thread:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:30 AM, Imperator_Taco said:

From what I know, the AWA score really isn't that important. Given your verbal score, I think you should be fine especially if your SOP and writing sample are in good shape. Btw, your question is answered in the stickied "Faculty perspectives" thread:

Thanks so much!

I read that post and felt reassured. But then I came across another post, quoting a Yale professor, that any AW score below 4.5 is worrying. So I fell back to paranoia.

Edited by misaki_rabbit

ah I found it, from Dr Nuno Monteiro's website: 

"Then study long and hard for the GRE. The verbal scores are important to the extent that a low score, say, below 160, will make people wonder whether you can actually understand and express yourself in english. But this usually also comes across in other parts of your application. The math score is very important, and anything below 165 is not a plus. (Anything below 160 is bad; between 160-164 it’s okay but not a plus, so if you want to compensate for a low GPA or lukewarm letters, you’ll need higher, at least 165.) Schools differ in the importance they attribute to the analytic score. Some don’t care. If they do — as many of the top schools do — anything below a 5.5 is not a plus; and anything below a 5.0 is a red flag. If you do significantly below these levels the first time, take the test again. If you do consistently below what you think your capabilities are, add a statement to your application indicating you typically don’t do well in standardized tests. It may help."

http://www.nunomonteiro.org/advice/grad-admissions