California Speech Pathology Programs

jessca

Still not hearing from Northridge, I've decided to accept San Diego State's offer! I feel really lucky both to have been accepted AND to have heard early. The waiting is pure agony.

So grateful to this board and to everyone I've talked with. This process was sooo stressful, and judging by the unpredictable responses I got from schools, it really is a crapshoot. I probably shouldn't have applied to Sac State (too many prereqs I didn't know about) and NMSU and PDX (too high tuition). Wish I had have given SFSU a shot, but I couldn't get my LORs and all in order before mid-Dec. All in all I'm so glad it's over!

Best of luck for those still waiting/deciding!

Anyone else going to SDSU? PM me if you want to make some contact before school starts!

What am I going to do all summer now??

What programs accept applications in the Spring? I know CSUF is one, but do you guys know of any others, doesn't have to be in California. Thanks!

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I am beginning to look for schools that have spring admission as well.

I applied to CSUF for the fall, so would it be weird to apply again for spring? My GPA will be a little better, and I'll have better recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'd like some advice. I'm going to be a senior next year and will be applying to grad schools (eek!) My top choices are in CA- SDSU, Northridge, Loma Linda, Fullerton, Long Beach.

Also, I'm extremely nervous my GPA won't stand out enough to get accepted anywhere. I currently have a 3.42. I do have volunteer work experience at a hospital and at a private practice as well. I also conducted a research study in the field with an advisor this semester. I picked up Spanish as my second major and Psych as my minor. Would any of these factors make my application and resume stand out? I also am nervous about the GREs- I am not a good standardized test taker whatsoever, and just have a gut feeling they will ruin all chances of me getting accepted anywhere, no matter how hard and long I will practice for them this summer. Help!

Hey everyone,

I'd like some advice. I'm going to be a senior next year and will be applying to grad schools (eek!) My top choices are in CA- SDSU, Northridge, Loma Linda, Fullerton, Long Beach.

Also, I'm extremely nervous my GPA won't stand out enough to get accepted anywhere. I currently have a 3.42. I do have volunteer work experience at a hospital and at a private practice as well. I also conducted a research study in the field with an advisor this semester. I picked up Spanish as my second major and Psych as my minor. Would any of these factors make my application and resume stand out? I also am nervous about the GREs- I am not a good standardized test taker whatsoever, and just have a gut feeling they will ruin all chances of me getting accepted anywhere, no matter how hard and long I will practice for them this summer. Help!

Hi aicirtap,

Loma Linda usually does not get as many applicants as other CA school because it is private and Seventh Day Adventist, also its application is very lengthy and has a lot of questions, so some people may not want to take the time to complete it. Also, they have an interview and are very interested in choosing people that they like and they feel will make a difference in the field of SLP.

From what I have heard Fullerton and Long Beach both have very high GPA and GRE standards. I have heard a number of times that Fullerton only accepts 4.0 students. The traditional program at Long Beach seems to base their decision solely on GPA and GRE because they do not require letters of rec or a personal statement.

I do not know that much about SDSU, but they do have a bilingual program so your Spanish skills may be highly desired there.

Overall, I would recommend continuing trying to do well in all your remaining classes and keep up the research and volunteer experience. I think that research experience is a VERY good way to stand out among other applicants. As far as the GRE, if you can afford to take a prep course that might be a good way to prepare, they will teach you all the tricks to help you and it may motivate you to study during the summer.

Finally, I would suggest looking into applying for schools outside California as well, if possible. By applying to a wide variety of schools you will definitely increase your chances of being accepted. Letters of rec. can be very, very helpful in getting you noticed so do your best to stand out to your current professors and supervisors so that they are able to write you more personalized letters.

Best of Luck!! :)

Hey everyone,

Hi aicirtap,

First of all, try not to freak out when you're on this website. Obviously applying to grad schools is stressful and frustrating. It's too easy to compare your stats to all the other people posting. Seeing people get accepted to "your" schools that have comparable stats to yours will drive you crazy. In some ways it's a mystery when it comes to what the committees are looking for. I have a 4.0 in my COMD classes and I've worked as a speech teacher for two years. I was waitlisted at 3/4 of schools I applied to. Was it my GRE score? Was it my statement of purpose? Who knows.

It's good you're thinking of this early and planning on your next steps. In the plus column, you've got research experience, Spanish, and pysch. That's fabulous. Seek out instructors that can write you amazing letters of recommendation. Start working on your statement of purpose. Definitely highlight Spanish for SDSU. Give yourself plenty of time to study for the GRE. I was very nervous for the GRE and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Do lots of practice tests and get a couple of good study books. A lot of the test is strategies and time management. Learning strategies helped me quite a bit.

Overall if you start early and work on the things that will over-shadow your GPA, the better. You may not be able to change your GPA much but you luckily already have other academics and experience that will help you. In the end, if you've done your best on everything else that's all you can do. Feeling positive and proud of your applications will give you peace of mind in case you don't get into your top school. Like I said, you may never know just exactly what the committes are looking for so do your best and don't beat yourself up if you don't get in. Oh, and apply to at least five schools to increase your chances. I think you can do it. Plan your attack and give yourself time. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know which California schools offer the MA in SLP to students without a BA in CSD? I earned a BA in Public Health Sciences, which doesn't fulfill the necessary requirements for MA programs in SLP. I know SDSU offers a 3-year program, CSUN offers an online program, and CSULA offers a preparatory program. Anyone know of any other programs in California that offer something similar to those options I have stated above? Any advice helps. Thanks in advance!

Irisdf,

I'm also looking into CA state schools. Along the ones you listed above, I believe SJSU ("Extended Masters", 3 yeas) and CSUEB (3.4-5 years) also accept people with other backgrounds. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently in a post-bacc program at CSU Dominguez Hills. It's a two-year program and they offer classes in the evenings. The cost of this program is substantially cheaper than other post-bacc programs or leveling-programs. I think its because it's managed out of the open university/extended edcation department. I just started this Fall and I really like it. The only downfall is it can only be completed in two years. Some programs will allow for you to finish the pre-reqs in one year and the grad work in two years but for this program the pre-reqs will take two years. I would look into it if your in the LA area. A lot of folks don't know about it.

Also CSU Long Beach and Fullerton have a post-bacc program.

The University of Redlands and Loma Linda also have three year programs for those who don't have a BA in CSD but they're crazy expensive because they're private universities.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I've been reading all of your posts and it has been so helpful. I was wondering, due to how impacted the SLP program is now, if any of you know the answer to this question.

I know that SDSU, CSUFullerton, PDX, Utah, and etc have a Post- baccalaureate program in SLP; however, once you enter it do you know how long it will take for the grace period from graduating from that to applying to the Grad program is? I know that in the Grad applications it is expected that you would have completed the courses for your cumulative GPA requirement, but assuming that you're applying late December, or earlier the following year, you are still completing the curriculum sequence. So, how does that work?

Hi Everyone, I've been reading all of your posts and it has been so helpful. I was wondering, due to how impacted the SLP program is now, if any of you know the answer to this question.

I know that SDSU, CSUFullerton, PDX, Utah, and etc have a Post- baccalaureate program in SLP; however, once you enter it do you know how long it will take for the grace period from graduating from that to applying to the Grad program is? I know that in the Grad applications it is expected that you would have completed the courses for your cumulative GPA requirement, but assuming that you're applying late December, or earlier the following year, you are still completing the curriculum sequence. So, how does that work?

I would check with the schools you're interested in. You don't need to wait to complete all of your post-bac courses to apply. You either need a certain amount of credits completed or be in your last semester when you apply. I'm not sure which. I was still completing my post-bac courses when I applied to grad school.

I would check with the schools you're interested in. You don't need to wait to complete all of your post-bac courses to apply. You either need a certain amount of credits completed or be in your last semester when you apply. I'm not sure which. I was still completing my post-bac courses when I applied to grad school.

Thank you,

by the way i saw that you got accepted into UC Northridge, was it hard getting into their SLP program? Were you an SLP undergrad student too?

Thank you,

by the way i saw that you got accepted into UC Northridge, was it hard getting into their SLP program? Were you an SLP undergrad student too?

I did my post-bac through Utah State's online program. It's hard to say if it was hard to get into the program since I don't know who I was up against. Every year the pool of applicants will be different. I say try for what you want. You will live and breathe nothing but grad school once you start. So you want to be happy with where you end up, both on an academic and personal basis.

Hi!

I am new to this and would really like to hear some advices.

I am in my 2nd years of college planning to transfer to SFSU or CSUEB for Speech Pathology program.

I already finished my pre-req for major. I am almost done with my general education courses by Summer 2013.

I would like everybodys help in here of how I can start researching which of my top 2 CSU that would be a great school to attend into for undergrad SLP?

I am aware that SFSU is more competative than CSUEB for their undergrad program but other than that I have no idea what else I should know to be eligible to get accepted. Please help!

Does anyone know what certain programs focus on? By this i mean what schools would better prepare you for.. lets say, working in a clinic or public school setting?

I would particularly like to know more about SJSU's program and also CSULA's.

I'm very interested in a multi-cultural worksphere, and would like to get a bilingual certification if possible. (I know SDSU offers this.. but any other schools?)

I just attended an info. night at SJSU's CS&D Program for Extended Master (EM) and MA. The EM is a three year program for applicants with other backgrounds. The dept. chair was telling us how they have about 200 applications each year, they can only accept 40. 20 people are straight from their undergrad, and they accept the other 20 as EM or MA. They also don't accept anyone under a 3.0 GPA. They look at letters of recommendations and your statement of purpose. The statistics are pretty grim for SJSU.

Edited by sunjinro

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hai! :D I'm currently a senior in CSD at one of the SoCA CSU's, and will be going through the 'torture' of applications and waiting, just like the rest of you!

DreamisFuture - If you're still finishing your GE's, apply to your local CSU's with the CSD major. I don't know if it's still the case, but most CSU's used to have a preference for local community college graduates. It'd be easier for you to get into one in your "district" than one across the state. You can make an appointment with your college advisor to see the rules about districting and preferences, to see if that's still the case. Also, some CSU's require you "apply" into their program, even as an undergrad. Others will automatically accept you into the program if you're a student at their CSU. I've heard some people got in by simple changing their majors. It might be worth a shot to look into for you if you know you can get an automatic acceptance into a non-impacted major, and then switch majors after you've been admitted? I don't know the rules for that, this is just some babble I'm sharing from what I've heard.

YurieKwon - the best thing to do is to call the programs, and speak to them yourself. Most programs have an eclectic choice of clinics, since they want to spit out well-rounded graduates.

Sunjinro - you'll find that the "statistics" are pretty much the norm across all of the CSU's. I don't know of any programs accepting any applications from anyone with less than a 3.0. You can't even apply. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, rather I mean to sound realistic. If you feel these stats are "grim", you should have backup out-of-state applications. I know I certainly will. CA is just impacted :wacko:

• 4 months later...

I have finally heard from some of the schools. The process is intriguing. I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from their schools and notices if there is any rhyme or reason?

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently a full time teacher and have just recently started looking into SLP programs. My husband is military and we are constantly moving so I would have to do an online program for both my prereqs and masters degree. Does anyone have any recommendations on good online programs? I've looked into both CSUN and Utah State for the online preq program and was wondering if anyone had experience with either of their programs. I was also curious about online masters programs. The only one I have really seen that's completely online is CSUN, but tuition is EXPENSIVE. Is it really possible to work full time, have a family, and complete these programs?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

I am currently a full time teacher and have just recently started looking into SLP programs. My husband is military and we are constantly moving so I would have to do an online program for both my prereqs and masters degree. Does anyone have any recommendations on good online programs? I've looked into both CSUN and Utah State for the online preq program and was wondering if anyone had experience with either of their programs. I was also curious about online masters programs. The only one I have really seen that's completely online is CSUN, but tuition is EXPENSIVE. Is it really possible to work full time, have a family, and complete these programs?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

I live in California and I got my post-bac from the Utah State online program.  It was straightforward, manageable, and at the time they didn't charge out-of-state tuition (big plus).  I took two classes at a time, so it took me a while to finish it.  I am currently in the CSUN campus grad program.  I believe their online program is completely funded by tuition, so that's why it's so expensive.  I hear good things about it though.  One thing you might consider since you're working and have a family, is the workload expectation.  The CSUN online program has cohorts.  You begin and end with the same group, which implies you have the same load each semester.  You may not have the flexibility of cutting back on courses if it gets too overwhelming.  Although I seem to remember the program is three years, which may mean you take less a semester compared to the campus program.  They may gear it more to working students.  Not sure.  I am married with an eight-year-old son.  I understand your concern about balancing school with everything else in your life.  Good luck to you!

Hi all! I am having a really tough time deciding which program would be my top choice to attend for graduate school - SFSU, CSULA or CSUF.  Does anybody know anything about any of the programs in terms of mentorship, professor availability/support, or program structure in general? Or if you've heard anything from previous/current grad students simply regarding overall satisfaction with their graduate program experience...that would help too.

Any information would be great! I feel like it might just come down to location...

Thank you so much!!

• 1 month later...

Im currently in a post-bacc program at CSU Dominguez Hills. It's a two-year program and they offer classes in the evenings. The cost of this program is substantially cheaper than other post-bacc programs or leveling-programs. I think its because it's managed out of the open university/extended edcation department. I just started this Fall and I really like it. The only downfall is it can only be completed in two years. Some programs will allow for you to finish the pre-reqs in one year and the grad work in two years but for this program the pre-reqs will take two years. I would look into it if your in the LA area. A lot of folks don't know about it.

Also CSU Long Beach and Fullerton have a post-bacc program.

The University of Redlands and Loma Linda also have three year programs for those who don't have a BA in CSD but they're crazy expensive because they're private universities.

Hope this helps!

How do you like the program at CSU Dominguez Hills? Was it easy to get into? When did they notify you of acceptance?