Fully funded PhD programs in Sociology

MME

On 10/25/2018 at 11:47 AM, MME said:

Washington State University

Pullman, WA

Department of Sociology

Not everyone receives an assistantship...  "Students receiving an assistantship work 20 hours per week with faculty. The assistantship provides graduate students with a financial stipend, a health insurance package, and an operation fee waiver for tuition. The total financial worth of the assistantship exceeds $30,000 for the current academic year."  https://soc.wsu.edu/graduate-program/prospective-graduate-students/faqs/

Additionally, international students require evidence of financial support, which in essence may depend upon the package offered upon admission. It would be interesting to know whether this evidence of being able to pay is required before or after admissions.

I attend WSU and this isn't accurate (I mean it is what the webpage says but...). Everyone in admitted to our program gets 5 years of fundings (sometimes 6). After that you are on your own to find moneys to continue your work. Our department also offers a series of awards to cover summer living expenses. Many students get RA/TA positions during the summer as well, however or work in the SESRC (survey research center) over the summer. You also get health/vision/dental. Hope this helps. 

• 10 months later...

I'm drastically late to this thread, but I'm wondering if there have been any updates to this list since its initial conception?  I've recently been accepted to the University of Florida, however their definition of "full funding" merely includes a stipend for student to help pay tuition... Help?  Please? lol 

33 minutes ago, guyfromVA said:

I'm drastically late to this thread, but I'm wondering if there have been any updates to this list since its initial conception?  I've recently been accepted to the University of Florida, however their definition of "full funding" merely includes a stipend for student to help pay tuition... Help?  Please? lol 

"Full funding" tends to mean: stipend (often uncomfortably low, but should cover reasonable rent in the area) in exchange for labor of some kind or a fellowship, a full tuition waiver, and a large chunk of health insurance premiums and fees covered (though the amount of  this varies). If you're in a position where you'd have to pay at all for your PhD beyond out of the stipend they give you, I'd approach with extreme caution, personally. It sounds like you're saying they're only covering tuition with no extra money for you to live on. That's not what other programs tend to mean by "full funding."

Edited by lkaitlyn

• 1 month later...