Should I get a letter of recommendation from a lecturer at my university?

I took a really enjoyable advanced math class at my university (proof-intensive) and the teacher was a postdoc at the time (now a "lecturer", and not yet a professor). I know his status might harm the letter, but he was a great teacher and I am also pretty sure I ranked top 3 in the class (and he is aware of this and will bring it up in the letter if he writes it).

My question is: Should I still get this letter given that he is only a lecturer? Will admissions committees take it seriously?

The problem with letters from non-faculty is that the main purpose of letters is to put your performance and abilities in context. Since non-faculty haven't had as much interaction with students, it's harder for them to contextualize. Non-faculty know this, and so I've noticed that their letters tend to be a bit more guarded and less enthusiastic than those from faculty.

So, a positive letter from a postdoc certainly won't hurt you, but it's also unlikely that a super-positive letter from a postdoc will substantially boost your application.

Edited by cyberwulf