Question about schools with cutoff GRE scores

ResilientDreams

Hi everyone!

So one of the programs I'm looking at has cutoff GRE scores for each section, which I am above. However, I was wondering how schools that have cutoffs generally view the GRE. Is it that as long as applicants are above that number they don't care about the score anymore? Or is higher better? I'm 10 points above the cutoff in verbal and a full point above in writing, but only like 3-4 points above in quant...is that going to look bad? I'm applying for developmental psych so not as much of a quantitative focus as some of the other disciplines and the rest of my application is strong (4.0 major GPA from public Ivy, lots of relevant research experience, etc.) I got As in my stats courses and have data analysis experience.

Sigh. I promised myself I wasn't going to make a post like this but...I made a post like this.

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

However, I was wondering how schools that have cutoffs generally view the GRE. Is it that as long as applicants are above that number they don't care about the score anymore?

In general, yes — frankly speaking, both GPA and GRE score are relatively cheap and quick ways for admissions committes to initially “cull the chaff” at the first round of application review. Beyond that stage, your other applications materials will carry more weight, such as your research work, recommendation letters, personal statement, how well you’re a “good fit” for the program, etc.

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

Hi everyone!

So one of the programs I'm looking at has cutoff GRE scores for each section, which I am above. However, I was wondering how schools that have cutoffs generally view the GRE. Is it that as long as applicants are above that number they don't care about the score anymore? Or is higher better? I'm 10 points above the cutoff in verbal and a full point above in writing, but only like 3-4 points above in quant...is that going to look bad? I'm applying for developmental psych so not as much of a quantitative focus as some of the other disciplines and the rest of my application is strong (4.0 major GPA from public Ivy, lots of relevant research experience, etc.) I got As in my stats courses and have data analysis experience.

Sigh. I promised myself I wasn't going to make a post like this but...I made a post like this.

It's hard for self-doubt to not rear its ugly head during the application cycle. Your accomplishments and profile is impressive and you don't even have to worry about the cutoff for the GRE since you're above it on all three sections! There's less for you to worry about compared to other applicants given what you have described about your accolades! I would say the most important thing for you now is to find the best research and supervisor fit. This is a two-way street and you want to make sure that the programs you are applying to can be mutually beneficial. 

Good luck!

On 10/14/2018 at 2:06 PM, ResilientDreams said:

Hi everyone!

hey there, do you mind sharing what the "cutoff" GRE scores are for the schools you were looking at? All the programs that I am applying to don't have a cut-off per say but I am just below the 160 "gold standard" scores and wondering if I need to retake. 

also applying to developmental psych programs so it'll be good for me to find out what the "industry standard" is.