I need another professor to write me an LOR... problem is during undergrad (graduated in 2016) I asked questions in class here and there but I did not attend office hours or go out of my way to speak to my professors after class so that they would remember me. I was under a lot of stress from working and commuting pretty far to my university at the time. How would someone go about asking professors for LOR's in a case where you did not really stand out or develop any kind of relationship besides having good grades?

I had to get my letters of ref from an online post-bacc program because it'd been forever since I did my first undergrad. I simply wrote them a little about myself and asked them for help. When they agreed, I included things like my transcripts, a short resume, etc. Most professors as used to these kinds of requests. 

On 10/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, smarieSLP2b said:

I need another professor to write me an LOR... problem is during undergrad (graduated in 2016) I asked questions in class here and there but I did not attend office hours or go out of my way to speak to my professors after class so that they would remember me. I was under a lot of stress from working and commuting pretty far to my university at the time. How would someone go about asking professors for LOR's in a case where you did not really stand out or develop any kind of relationship besides having good grades?

When I made a request through email I introduced myself, told them when I took their class and what grade I received. I then requested they write my LOR. It's best if you pick professors that you received A's with and maybe took more than 1 class with if possible.  Once they agree.... give them specifics to include and elaborate on.  I always requested that they highly recommended me for acceptance into the program bc if they can't do that you probably don't want them recommending you (Ive seen that on the form they fill out). They get requests all the time! Don't be shy just do it. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Edited by Ggslpa
left out words

I ran out of willing professors to write my letters. I didn't have a huge connection with a lot of them because the classes were 100+ students. I asked my boss from my job. She had nothing to do with SLP or CSD but she knew me well and knew my work ethic. I know some people suggest not doing this, but I was accepted into almost all of the schools I applied to. In my case, it definitely did not hurt my chances. I just sent her a little bit about school and what the different schools were looking for. Then I sent her my statements of purpose and any essays I had written. I think that helped her formulate a letter that highlighted things I wanted to stand out in my application. 

Best of luck!

On 10/27/2018 at 7:22 AM, slporbust2016 said:

I had to get my letters of ref from an online post-bacc program because it'd been forever since I did my first undergrad. I simply wrote them a little about myself and asked them for help. When they agreed, I included things like my transcripts, a short resume, etc. Most professors as used to these kinds of requests. 

Yeah, I got my LORs from online professors from my linguistics undergrad. I'm not sure that they even remembered me, but each one had given me good grades (and in a couple cases exuberant praise) for my writing. I sent them a couple paragraphs about me, my experiences, and my goals, and then sent them each one or two class papers as a writing sample. I'm guessing the letters weren't nearly as good as they would have been if they had actually known me, but they served my purposes. They were all perfectly willing to write letters, even if they might not have known what to say in them!