Should I Apply Now, or Wait for Deadline?

MSanders4394

Question

I am planning on applying to the MA in English teaching assistantship at North Carolina State University this spring.

The deadline isn't until February 1st, but I was wondering: is grad school like law school where it is an open secret that the sooner you get your app in, the more likely you will be able to get in?

If so, then of course I want to apply now. 

Thanks so much!

3 answers to this question

@MSanders4394 I am not sure you have a higher chance of getting in (I could be wrong, though), but I always think it is better to get applications done earlier than later. Of course, you want to make sure all of your application materials are good, but the sooner you get it done, the less you have to worry about it. Also, the admissions committee will get to look at it earlier. I am not sure if that will give you an advantage, but it might. I hope that helps.

Also, I love North Carolina State University! I got my Bachelor's there and miss Raleigh every day.

I took a look at the programs website and it says :

"In the MA English and MS Technical Communication programs, we are able to offer assistantships to approximately one third of applicants. Assistantships are awarded upon admission and are only available for full-time students who begin their graduate work in the fall semester. ... To be considered for an assistantship in any program, you must apply by the Feb.1 deadline" 

If there are rolling admissions then it may be in your favor to submit earlier as they will have more assistantships of their 33% to give out. If they have an admissions office I would ask if they offer rolling admissions as that may inform your decision. Either way apply when you feel your application is the strongest it can be. Don't scramble to get it in early and turn in a bad application, then your chances of being in that percentage are even lower.