Questions about Distance Learning & Post bacc

Hi all, 

I am interested in applying for an online SLP program. I've been browsing this site and there is so much helpful info from other people who have posted and answered before. My specific situation is that I am 33, have 3 kids, and have a B.A. in psychology and Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling. As I am pretty busy in my normal life, I'd ideally be able to do an online program that I can kind of work around my schedule. I have some questions: 

1) I don't have any of the foundation courses required. Do you think the best thing to do would be go for a post bacc before applying for an SLP graduate program? If so, do you think it matters where I do the post bacc classes (i.e. is it ok to go for the least expensive or does name matter at all)? And finally, does anyone know of a good post-bacc program that requires minimum in person attendance? I was looking at the program at University of Colorado at Boulder. I could potentially do a program located in the Northeast if it was like one or two weekends. 

2) Or is it better to just go right for the SLP grad program and do the foundational courses as part of the program? I do think that could add significant time on to it though. 

2) Does anyone have experience applying to any of these programs after being out of school for a significant amount of time? I graduated from grad school in 2009 and haven't kept in touch with any professors; how do people handle letters of recommendation? Are letters from previous employers sufficient?

Thank you so much!! 

Hello! I got an online post-bacc and might be able to help:

Like most things, there are pros and cons to doing a post-bacc vs. a 3-year grad program. One of the pros of a post-bacc is that it will probably be cheaper than getting the prereqs through the grad program. Second, a high GPA from a post-bacc may make you more attractive to grad programs, since they know you will do well with the material. Since you already have a Masters, this might not matter as much, since they know you can handle grad school! Applying to a post-bacc program is also extraordinarily easy. I entered my personal info, sent my transcripts, wrote a short personal statement, and that was it.

The con of a post-bacc is that prereqs vary (sometimes widely) by program, so if you don't know which grad schools you are applying to, any post-bacc should contain a wide enough range of courses that you are covered wherever you go. This can be tricky. In my case it worked out mostly fine: I took audiology and aural rehab as one combined 4-credit class, but my program requires them to be 2 separate 3-credit courses. They let me count the audiology portion, but I have to take aural rehab again this summer for it to count.

As far as I know, where you do your post-bacc doesn't matter, unless maybe if you're applying to really high-ranked programs(?). As long as it's accredited, you should be fine. Go for whatever is cheapest. There also should be plenty of post-bacc programs that require zero on-campus attendance. I live in the Northeast and I did my post-bacc through Pacific University in Oregon--definitely did not have to go there in person! As far as online grad programs go, I think most require you to go on campus for anywhere from 3-6 weeks, but I know NYU only requires two 4-day weekends in person.

Since you were out of school for a while, I think a post-bacc might be the best way to get LORs. If you make an effort to attend virtual office hours and contribute meaningfully to class discussions, you can use online professors for recommendations. It might be a lot harder to find LORs if you jump right into a grad program. Many schools want at least 2 of the recs to be from faculty, not work or volunteer.

In summary, I'm definitely a proponent of a post-bacc, since it helped me quite a bit. I think the major con is not knowing for sure which prereqs to take for various schools. However, in your case, I think the post-bacc would be worthwhile so you can get some LORs.

If you do go the post-bacc route, I recommend Pacific University!

16 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Hello! I got an online post-bacc and might be able to help:

Like most things, there are pros and cons to doing a post-bacc vs. a 3-year grad program. One of the pros of a post-bacc is that it will probably be cheaper than getting the prereqs through the grad program. Second, a high GPA from a post-bacc may make you more attractive to grad programs, since they know you will do well with the material. Since you already have a Masters, this might not matter as much, since they know you can handle grad school! Applying to a post-bacc program is also extraordinarily easy. I entered my personal info, sent my transcripts, wrote a short personal statement, and that was it.

The con of a post-bacc is that prereqs vary (sometimes widely) by program, so if you don't know which grad schools you are applying to, any post-bacc should contain a wide enough range of courses that you are covered wherever you go. This can be tricky. In my case it worked out mostly fine: I took audiology and aural rehab as one combined 4-credit class, but my program requires them to be 2 separate 3-credit courses. They let me count the audiology portion, but I have to take aural rehab again this summer for it to count.

As far as I know, where you do your post-bacc doesn't matter, unless maybe if you're applying to really high-ranked programs(?). As long as it's accredited, you should be fine. Go for whatever is cheapest. There also should be plenty of post-bacc programs that require zero on-campus attendance. I live in the Northeast and I did my post-bacc through Pacific University in Oregon--definitely did not have to go there in person! As far as online grad programs go, I think most require you to go on campus for anywhere from 3-6 weeks, but I know NYU only requires two 4-day weekends in person.

Since you were out of school for a while, I think a post-bacc might be the best way to get LORs. If you make an effort to attend virtual office hours and contribute meaningfully to class discussions, you can use online professors for recommendations. It might be a lot harder to find LORs if you jump right into a grad program. Many schools want at least 2 of the recs to be from faculty, not work or volunteer.

In summary, I'm definitely a proponent of a post-bacc, since it helped me quite a bit. I think the major con is not knowing for sure which prereqs to take for various schools. However, in your case, I think the post-bacc would be worthwhile so you can get some LORs.

If you do go the post-bacc route, I recommend Pacific University!

Thank you so much! I appreciate this. NYU is one I am looking at, as well as Emerson. I suppose if I talk to those specific schools first, I might get a better idea of how the post bacc requirements fit in. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:35 AM, hverb85 said:

Hi all, 

I am interested in applying for an online SLP program. I've been browsing this site and there is so much helpful info from other people who have posted and answered before. My specific situation is that I am 33, have 3 kids, and have a B.A. in psychology and Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling. As I am pretty busy in my normal life, I'd ideally be able to do an online program that I can kind of work around my schedule. I have some questions: 

1) I don't have any of the foundation courses required. Do you think the best thing to do would be go for a post bacc before applying for an SLP graduate program? If so, do you think it matters where I do the post bacc classes (i.e. is it ok to go for the least expensive or does name matter at all)? And finally, does anyone know of a good post-bacc program that requires minimum in person attendance? I was looking at the program at University of Colorado at Boulder. I could potentially do a program located in the Northeast if it was like one or two weekends. 

2) Or is it better to just go right for the SLP grad program and do the foundational courses as part of the program? I do think that could add significant time on to it though. 

2) Does anyone have experience applying to any of these programs after being out of school for a significant amount of time? I graduated from grad school in 2009 and haven't kept in touch with any professors; how do people handle letters of recommendation? Are letters from previous employers sufficient?

Thank you so much!! 

I would recommend if you’re doing post bacc to do it where you want to get your masters. I did mine a few years ago and have noticed mang grad programs choose from within their system. If you have other degrees you’re probably pretty competitive for 3 year programs. Getting in is the hardest prt, if you’re able you could apply to a 3 yr program and a post bacc and see which one works out! I graduated in 2010, I did post bacc classes (not where I wanted to go to grad school) and it was hard to find letters of Rec. most want 2 academic and 1 professional, but some will accept non academic if you can explain why. I think it was harder to get in since I didn’t apply where I got my post bac. But I ended up getting my SLPA license and worked for 2 year, I was just accepted to the school I went to for that. It’s a long and winding road, but once you’re in your golden. Best of luck!  

Edited by mahh

I recommend doing a 3-year program incl. leveling classes if you can get into one. I wish I'd known it was an option when I started! That way you're taking exactly the classes you need for grad school and only have to apply once. I think it saves a lot of time and money in the end. I completed a post-bacc program but am still taking additional courses because every school requires something different. If you don't get into a 3-year, you can always go the standard post-bacc route as a backup, but I don't see a drawback to trying for it. Good luck!

Maybe research CSUN certificate of Pre-SLP on the website it says:

The masters program is 3.5 years and parttime. Depending on where you live you may be able to work as an SLPA during the grad school portion since you can get licensed with the prereqs and 100 hours