At what point should I email my professor reminding her to submit my recommendation?

doctormelody

HELP! I feel like the honest answer is "never" because it will probably annoy her but also I'm not completely sure she ever received the link because when I sent it out the application said it was possible it could be sent to a spam folder. The application deadline isn't until December 31st so I know that I should chill, but also, I don't want to wait until the last minute and have her think I never sent it! I asked her if she would mind writing me another recommendation in June (this is my second cycle applying) and I submitted the form with her email on September 25th. I know she's probably just busy but I am starting to get worried... when do you guys think it would be okay to contact her? (Super apologetically, of course, and mentioning the spam folder thing!)

I don't think you need to be apologetic at all. I would send an email and just frame it as "Hey, just wanted to see if you received this link that should've been sent to you, please let me know if you need anything else from me, etc." Serves as a reminder while also making sure she received the link. 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually was dealing with something similar last week. I just emailed my professor and asked her whether she would like me to re-send the link since I noticed one of my other recommenders did not get his (this is true). I also asked her if she needs any information from me that would help her to write.

She submitted the reference the next day. It doesn't hurt to remind them especially since they are probably providing references to several other students. It is easy to forget. You could also ask her whether she would appreciate a reminder as the deadline approaches.

All the best!

You might also want to see if the application portal has an option to send a reminder to your references. I had to do this recently with my UChicago application. It’s nice, because the email is automatically generated from the university rather than having to send it yourself. 

Hey, thanks for the responses, everyone. I finally worked up the courage to email her today. I debated on just resending the link as a reminder, but I was worried it might get sent to the spam folder again (if that is indeed what happened the first time). I really hope she isn't annoyed with me... I explained the situation and apologized in the email (couldn't help myself), but I still worry.

• 2 weeks later...

Called her today. No response, left a voicemail. Totally at my wit's end. I wanna give her one last chance to respond but I fear that by doing so my chances of getting someone else to do the recommendation by the deadline will implode. Also, the other people that I would ask work in the same department and might find out what happened. It's difficult to imagine how this could be more of a disaster. I honestly just want to cry.