Salus University Interview

Hi all! I just received an e-mail regarding an interview invitation for Salus University. I was wondering if anyone has had an interview them/has any insight on what their interview is like! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! :) I interviewed at Salus last year; I don't remember all of the questions but I can give you a layout of what it was like. 

While interviews are individual, Salus makes a day of it and has multiple people interview on the same day. You'll arrive and sign in, and then wait with an information packet while everyone arrives. Then, they'll take everyone to a conference room where you'll be greeted by the head of the department and be given a presentation of the program. Some of it is interesting, however, if you've read their website carefully it won't provide much new information. They'll also ask everyone to introduce themselves and where went to undergrad. 

After asking for questions about the program, everyone is called out individually for a one on one interview with a professor. You'll have two interviews and this one is the most important, as it's the professors who you have to impress. (I was waitlisted at Salus, and I really think that was due to my nerves getting the best of me here. According to the admissions staff, Salus chooses their cohort based on a professor round table. Apparently they get pretty heated as each professor looks for something different. Therefore, impressing your interviewer so that they'll advocate for you in these meetings is vital.) During the interview, expect to talk about what you find interesting about this field and why you're pursuing this career. One of the questions that really caught me up, as I hadn't done many, was about describing what I'd learned during observations. It's also important to know that this professor only knows your name and nothing else. They aren't allowed to review your application for GPA, GRE scores or your personal statement before they meet with you.

After your interview is finished, you'll go back to the conference room to wait for everyone else. When everyone is back together you'll go back to the main office and wait to speak with a member of the admissions staff. Don't sweat this one. They're mostly just looking to confirm that they have all of the necessary paperwork in order. The woman I met with was very kind; she complimented my personal statement and really boosted my self-esteem. I don't say that as a humble brag, but just to emphasize how little influence I thought the admissions staff had in determining enrollment. Impressing her may have gotten me the interview, but past that it's really up to the experts in the field to determine their new cohort.

After this interview you'll get a tour of the campus and clinic by a current graduate student, and then have a free lunch with them to ask any questions you have about being a student there.

Edited by StressedSLPHopeful

Also! They may try to tell you that you'll hear back from them in two weeks. Do not expect this! It took them over a month to get back to me; plus, they ignored my messages, emails and calls (they were always "in a meeting;" despite being very responsive before my interview, and telling me I could contact them at anytime after my interview.) I do have friends (who were accepted) that heard back sooner than I did, but even they had to wait over two weeks. That was in February though. Girls I knew who interviewed in Nov.-Dec. heard back faster. I think their rolling deadline really does make it an advantage to apply sooner rather than later.

And, if you are accepted, remember you don't have to put down a deposit until April 15th! Their non-refundable deposit is $1,000 (complete burglary) and I know people who thought it was due 15 days after their acceptance. That is not the case! Legally, they cannot require a deposit to hold your space until April 15th! (This is also a good reason to hold on to hope if you're waitlisted; many people will accept the offer without consequence until they receive other acceptances April 1st. Given that Salus doesn't award GA positions, a lot of the "competitive" students they accept early on will reject their offer by April 15th in favor of schools offering better financial options.)

Edited by StressedSLPHopeful

Thank you so so much, this definitely helped me a ton! I have a lot of nerves going into my interview, but I can definitely say that these eased them up a bit! It's nice hearing from someone who went through the process, and I really appreciate you mentioning about the deposit, I can tell you for sure that I would have thought the same thing with the 15 days! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email today inviting me for an interview as well. Do either of y'all know how long we have to contact them and set up a date? 

I am trying to hold out until at least mid-January because I just accepted a job at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. 

Hi FutureAuD03, are you applying for fall 2019? and are you applying for audiology or SLP? I was wondering how you got invited for an interview so fast. I just sent my application to Salus last week for SLP for the fall 2019. 

dSLP,

I am applying for the Fall 2019 audiology program. I guess I got an interview so fast because I sent it my application on the 10th. They do a rolling admissions, so they move faster than other programs I believe. 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:10 AM, FutureAuD03 said:

I received an email today inviting me for an interview as well. Do either of y'all know how long we have to contact them and set up a date? 

I am trying to hold out until at least mid-January because I just accepted a job at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. 

I believe that you are supposed to set up a date once you receive the e-mail with an invitation, but I am not positive! The interview dates have a fixed number of spots for them, so they are on a first come first serve basis!

40 minutes ago, slp2be811 said:

I believe that you are supposed to set up a date once you receive the e-mail with an invitation, but I am not positive! The interview dates have a fixed number of spots for them, so they are on a first come first serve basis!

yeah you're right, I just wanted to wait a while before calling them to set an interview date because I wanna hear from other schools. Do you know which days most of the dates fall on? Like Fridays, Saturdays?

On 12/29/2018 at 10:43 PM, slp2be811 said:

I believe most of the interview dates were on Mondays!

I called and set up my interview date today! Do you know if parents usually attend interviews or not? 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:46 AM, FutureAuD03 said:

I called and set up my interview date today! Do you know if parents usually attend interviews or not? 

Yes, they can. They won't allow them back for the actual interview portion but they can attend the tour. About a third of the people I interviewed with had their moms with them.

• 5 weeks later...