still waiting on penn state

hey those of you who are still waiting for PSU (myself included). I spoke to the departmental grad secretary and she said decisions will be happening the first or second week of april. very considerate for those of us who need to accept/decline other offers in the near future... (note sarcasm).

I would suspect that you're on an unofficial wait list and that's why it's taking so long for your decision. The recruitment visit was last weekend, so hopefully admits will begin to make decisions soon and things can get moving for those of you still waiting. Fingers crossed and positive vibes your way!!

Edited by Pamphilia

I would suspect that you're on an unofficial wait list and that's why it's taking so long for your decision. The recruitment visit was last weekend, so hopefully admits will begin to make decisions soon and things can get moving for those of you still waiting. Fingers crossed and positive vibes your way!!

I dunno...there have only been a handful of Penn State posties in the forum...mostly accepts from early on. They had over 700 applicants, right? So how can the other 690 or so of us be on the waitlist? :( I think they are just waiting to send everything out together after they get their admits and waitlist, but I wouldn't count on being on the waitlist, I guess. I know I expect a rejection.

this is interesting info. i've never thought of an unofficial waitlist because i haven't seen any rejects in the results feed. either way, i have a decision to make quickly and the "2nd week of april" could be as late as the 13-14th. not cool.

this is interesting info. i've never thought of an unofficial waitlist because i haven't seen any rejects in the results feed. either way, i have a decision to make quickly and the "2nd week of april" could be as late as the 13-14th. not cool.

It does suck, and I truly sympathize with anyone who is still waiting. It's just crappy. I also tooootally understand the desire (and the real need, in some cases) to make a swift decision. However, I think a lot of programs are holding off letting some people know because they're waiting to see how many spots they have after their initial admits respond (I know UVa is doing this, for example--hence their "unofficial" wait list that one only hears about if she asks). I agree that it is totally uncool if programs are letting applicants hang in limbo if they, ultimately, only intend to deny those people. However, I also can understand why they might keep some people waiting if they intend to accept those people in the event that they have the spots. I've no idea what Penn State is up to, only that they've made all of their initial admits. It doesn't mean they're done yet, though. Keep the faith! :)

Edited by Pamphilia

I dunno...there have only been a handful of Penn State posties in the forum...mostly accepts from early on. They had over 700 applicants, right? So how can the other 690 or so of us be on the waitlist? :( I think they are just waiting to send everything out together after they get their admits and waitlist, but I wouldn't count on being on the waitlist, I guess. I know I expect a rejection.

Three people from my MA program applied there and we're all still waiting...so unfortunately, the wait-list seems unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

is the penn state online status check good for anything? does it ever change for anyone?

For what it's worth, I applied to the MA program and I haven't had a status update or a letter yet. I'm thinking this week? A few MA and PhD people posted snail mail rejections from last week, so I guess letters are finally coming out (hopefully).

This was posted March 31 by someone rejected from the PhD program:

Upon emailing the program, they informed me that they had sent out some rejections, but were still reviewing applications. They said I should know by the end of next week.