Article: Graduate School Can Have Terrible Effects on People's Mental Health

NYCStudent

Howdy, everyone. Came across this article today. I'm applying for PhD programs for Fall 2019, and not going to lie, this is a little scary. I've talked to a bunch of PhD students and honestly...none of them seem happy or healthy. This was a big reason why I took a lot of time off before making this decision. Anyway....just wanted to ask folks who are in the midst of everything or done: is it really THAT hard?

For context, I'm 30, so I've had a lot of life, which has included working full-time while finishing my master's program and going through treatment for cancer (I'm fine now, whoo hoo!).  In a nutshell: I've navigated a crazy schedule for 2 years AND a life-threatening illness. 

I can't help but think that a PhD will be -- dare I say -- easier than what I've been doing the last decade, because I'll be focusing on something I'm passionate about and won't be as tied to the 9-5 life, which i find SUPER draining. Maybe I'm coming at it from a different position than many who go straight through or only take a few years off beforehand? 

Am I being super naive? I'm certainly worried about the financial burden, but the other stuff doesn't seem to faze me....It just doesn't' seem that grad school can be any worse than working a time-consuming and less than satisfying full-time job.

Oh, geez, I totally sound like an oldster right now! #kidsthesedays

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/11/graduate-school-terrible-peoples-mental-health/576769/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_term=2018-11-27T18%3A57%3A43&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&fbclid=IwAR0fEgHvO8069dvGBqMSW8FjF3DSHzlOcHITmWllOU9HhRZmGzUFuNpv3TI&fbclid=IwAR1XcyhZLTR1Wi_QesJSR9R5jTe83HvJGQH4R6rLTczOfFJVLA1V4vlL6lE&fbclid=IwAR2L1grq3Sip8hHW9Bbl6LLkptZ_6GFecSz9z3DLwbjRGVq1WcmaB87umQg

Edited by NYCStudent

I mean. I'm an applicant myself so I can't speak from life experience, but my dad was a full time engineering PhD student when I was young and he always had time to play with me and my brother and seemed to have a good work/life balance (from what I remember and as I get ready to go through the process myself he hasn't mentioned it being overwhelmingly stressful). I think it has a lot to do with individual variation honestly as well as your mindset going into the program.

58 minutes ago, NYCStudent said:

"I can't help but think that a PhD will be -- dare I say -- easier than what I've been doing the last decade"

I feel this so hard, but for alternative reasons. It took me seven years to get my B.A because I have been the sole provider for myself, my children, and my mother. I graduated last year and I have had no stability since. I have a good job, get paid well, but still can't afford COL in the bay area given my familial responsibilities and have been couch-surfing with my two children ever since graduating. In short, I am exhausted from life in general. If I do get into a Ph.D. program, I am sure I will feel stress knowing about performing well and knowing that my career depends on every exam, every grade, etc...

But I would give anything to trade in the stress and lack of stability that my children and I face now to feel the "craze" of graduate school.

I worked full-time for eight years before coming back to school for my PhD. I am now a few years into my PhD and in my early 30s. One sometimes demoralizing aspect about being in grad school is the lack of immediate rewards or sense of accomplishment. For example, now that I'm done my coursework, there are very few markers of success, and often there are long periods of waiting for feedback on articles or comprehensive exams. If you are used to getting quick gratification from things at work, this can be different. Furthermore, it is possible to get lost in the shuffle in grad school. Advisors can be slow in getting back to you or somewhat disinterested in your work, and projects can take much longer than expected. I have a fantastic relationship with my supervisor, so I have avoided this specific issue, but I others in my program struggle with this. 

With that said, I am so glad to be back at school. There are stressful times and I miss some of the structure of my old job (I never thought I would say that!) but the ability to study topics that fascinate me and read and research full-time is a real joy. However, I have had to change my spending habits. Make sure you enter a program where you really know what your funding will be like, and have a good sense of how quickly people complete the program. 

"I can't help but think that a PhD will be -- dare I say -- easier than what I've been doing the last decade"

I feel you! I am also 30, been working full time as a teacher for 8 years, and I have two young kids and a number of stressful situations tied directly to my living situation (which would be forced to change if I was in grad school). Of course I expect an intellectual challenge, but right now I would very gladly welcome that into my life, given that at my job I feel frustrated and unchallenged, and nothing brings me the same joy as research. Good luck to you! I feel v old applying at my age even though I objectively know that it isn't THAT different from being 25 or 26.