Will these GRE scores hurt my case?

ignoredfab

Hi fellow grads,

I am sure you have seen this question over and over again on this forum, so I'll be brief. I need advice on whether or not I should make a third attempt at retaking GRE. I'll be applying during the next cycle fyi. 

Background check: I am from Europe and the top programs would be Berkeley, Duke and Columbia, among others. I am less concerned about the other application materials: I have two graduate degrees and some work experience in the region of interest, the necessary languages, great master's gpa, reliable/glowing recommendation letters. I assume to work a lot on my SOP coming year.

My current GRE stats are: Q152, V162, A4.5-5. This was my second attempt btw, and I was somewhat sick as well this time. 

What would you advice to do? Personally speaking, I don't mind to retake it a third time (financially it is negligible in the greater scheme of things) but my goal was 320. I am also afraid that I will not reach the threshold, and will automatically be cut out during preselection or something like that.

I'll be happy to listen to what you got to say. Thanks a lot in advance!! 

There are a lot of similar questions that have been asked on the forum that address this.  It seems like the consensus is that GRE scores are usually the least considered part of the application.  If you have a strong SOP, writing sample, and strong rec letters -- which it sounds like you do -- those carry significantly more weight than the scores themselves.

7 hours ago, ignoredfab said:

Hi fellow grads,

I am sure you have seen this question over and over again on this forum, so I'll be brief. I need advice on whether or not I should make a third attempt at retaking GRE. I'll be applying during the next cycle fyi. 

Background check: I am from Europe and the top programs would be Berkeley, Duke and Columbia, among others. I am less concerned about the other application materials: I have two graduate degrees and some work experience in the region of interest, the necessary languages, great master's gpa, reliable/glowing recommendation letters. I assume to work a lot on my SOP coming year.

My current GRE stats are: Q152, V162, A4.5-5. This was my second attempt btw, and I was somewhat sick as well this time. 

What would you advice to do? Personally speaking, I don't mind to retake it a third time (financially it is negligible in the greater scheme of things) but my goal was 320. I am also afraid that I will not reach the threshold, and will automatically be cut out during preselection or something like that.

I'll be happy to listen to what you got to say. Thanks a lot in advance!! 

You're over the 90% barrier for verbal. Unless you applied to do history of mathematics, the rest of your scores are fine.

Your GRE is fine. You should focus on your SOP and writing sample. Unless your GPA and GRE are below whatever numbers programs set for auto-rejection (below 3.0-3.5 GPA is usually what websites say, and anyone with 80th percentile and above on GRE verbal shouldn't worry), the written material is absolutely what makes or breaks an application.