UNC-Chapel Hill MSW 19Fall

calmchili

Has anyone else submitted their application to UNC yet?

I am an international student, so I have to send my TOEFL result through ETS, which I did one month ago. Yet, having submitted my application two weeks ago, the system still shows "awaiting official TOEFL score". I have sent an inquiry email to the school one week ago but still get no reply. What shall I do?

Also, I heard UNC admits very very limited international students. Is it true? Anyone knows more about it? The waiting is really killing me.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:47 PM, calmchili said:

Has anyone else submitted their application to UNC yet?

I am an international student, so I have to send my TOEFL result through ETS, which I did one month ago. Yet, having submitted my application two weeks ago, the system still shows "awaiting official TOEFL score". I have sent an inquiry email to the school one week ago but still get no reply. What shall I do?

Also, I heard UNC admits very very limited international students. Is it true? Anyone knows more about it? The waiting is really killing me.

Hey!

I am also an international student and I applied to UNC as well (BBSP). Something similar happened to me and I sent them a bunch of emails...seriously, I think maybe it was too much? Haha. Anyways, after emailing UNC Graduate Admissions, the BBSP Office, even the BBSP Director, and the BBSP Assistant, they informed me that my scores had been found and manually matched to my application. They also told me that this year they were having problems receiving scores from ETS and that this was not the applicant's fault.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, GoingViral said:

Hey!

I am also an international student and I applied to UNC as well (BBSP). Something similar happened to me and I sent them a bunch of emails...seriously, I think maybe it was too much? Haha. Anyways, after emailing UNC Graduate Admissions, the BBSP Office, even the BBSP Director, and the BBSP Assistant, they informed me that my scores had been found and manually matched to my application. They also told me that this year they were having problems receiving scores from ETS and that this was not the applicant's fault.

Just saw your reply. Thanks for your sharing! 

Edited by calmchili

On 12/18/2018 at 12:13 PM, GoingViral said:

Hey!

DId you already hear back from UNC? When did you submit you application? Thanks

9 hours ago, mswclaire said:

DId you already hear back from UNC? When did you submit you application? Thanks

Hey there!

I did contact them again and received this email from them on 1/3/2019:

"Thank you for contacting the BBSP at UNC Chapel Hill. We have sent out all of our initial invites for interviews at UNC. We do have a waiting list and the offers to those on this list should go out by mid-January. If you have not heard from us by mid-January it is likely that you will not receive an interview offer for the 2019-2020 school year. Thank you for your interest in the BBSP at UNC Chapel Hill. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns."

I submitted my application one day before the priority deadline (11/26/2018). Honestly, I don't think they will contact me and I was probably rejected already. I think the process was a bit unfair since my application was only complete to be reviewed on 12/14/2018 because of the slowest TOEFL score matching process ever. Seriously, every other place I applied to matched my scores in 5 days max. By the time my application was ready to be reviewed, UNC had already sent many interview invites. As an international applicant, I personally see this as a red flag. Other places replied promptly to my every concern as an international applicant. To all of them, I manifested my interest and availability to attend in-person interviews in case I qualified for admission visits. Mayo sent me an interview invite on 12/13/2018...before my UNC application was even ready to be reviewed! So yeah, definitely a red flag. I honestly wouldn't wanna be part of a place that puts international students in disadvantage for things that are out of our control.

Best of luck!

Edited by GoingViral
Grammar

On 1/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, ViralCapsidGuy said:

Hey there!

I did contact them again and received this email from them on 1/3/2019:

"Thank you for contacting the BBSP at UNC Chapel Hill. We have sent out all of our initial invites for interviews at UNC. We do have a waiting list and the offers to those on this list should go out by mid-January. If you have not heard from us by mid-January it is likely that you will not receive an interview offer for the 2019-2020 school year. Thank you for your interest in the BBSP at UNC Chapel Hill. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns."

I submitted my application one day before the priority deadline (11/26/2018). Honestly, I don't think they will contact me and I was probably rejected already. I think the process was a bit unfair since my application was only complete to be reviewed on 12/14/2018 because of the slowest TOEFL score matching process ever. Seriously, every other place I applied to matched my scores in 5 days max. By the time my application was ready to be reviewed, UNC had already sent many interview invites. As an international applicant, I personally see this as a red flag. Other places replied promptly to my every concern as an international applicant. To all of them, I manifested my interest and availability to attend in-person interviews in case I qualified for admission visits. Mayo sent me an interview invite on 12/13/2018...before my UNC application was even ready to be reviewed! So yeah, definitely a red flag. I honestly wouldn't wanna be part of a place that puts international students in disadvantage for things that are out of our control.

Best of luck!

Sorry about that. Yeah, I have browsed somewhere that UNC doesn't take international applicants that seriously. I have not yet received any interview invitation yet. I guess I am probably out of the game too. Anyway, I have got the offer from WUSTL. I am thinking of accepting it.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:31 AM, bswtomsw1 said:

I applied the the advanced standing program. I still have not heard back. 

Quoted from Ben's reply:

"Interviews will be scheduled for all competitive international applicants.  We plan to begin announcing admissions decisions in January, starting with the Advanced Standing applicants.  Full-Time applicants should expect to receive notification beginning in mid-February."

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Edited by calmchili

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...