Environmental Management and Policy 2019

hammyc

On 2/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, hardikpokhrel said:

Are you an international applicant? Also what are your and other views on value for money on this if I don't get any kind of fellowship/grant support? I opted for Sustainable Systems within the Masters program

Yes I am. It really depends. But I personally don’t want to go if there’s not any funding (or at least any possibility of funding after admission). 

Got an admit into Duke Nicholas but aid status to be available from Mid- March?

Really suprised about the early decision as I had submitted my application on the 15 Jan deadline

Anyone here who got info on financial aid

Edited by SC88
content upgrade

2 hours ago, SC88 said:

Got an admit into Duke Nicholas but aid status to be available from Mid- March?

Really suprised about the early decision as I had submitted my application on the 15 Jan deadline

Anyone here who got info on financial aid

Hey I got into Nicholas as well, but no info on aid. They also said Mid-March for me. I had submitted on 15 Dec.

15 hours ago, hardikpokhrel said:

Hey I got into Nicholas as well, but no info on aid. They also said Mid-March for me. I had submitted on 15 Dec.

I got into Nicholas too, and that's what I received as well: scholarship/grant info to come mid-March. Is anyone else planning to go to the admitted students weekend? 

6 hours ago, kljo15 said:

I got into Nicholas too, and that's what I received as well: scholarship/grant info to come mid-March. Is anyone else planning to go to the admitted students weekend? 

Congratulations to all of us. I am from Nepal, and I checked that my two way tickets costs ~$1000 to NC and they only provide $500 as reimbursement. So I think I will pass. However, wanted to know thoughts from all of you. How is the financial aid like from Duke ?

1 hour ago, hardikpokhrel said:

Congratulations to all of us. I am from Nepal, and I checked that my two way tickets costs ~$1000 to NC and they only provide $500 as reimbursement. So I think I will pass. However, wanted to know thoughts from all of you. How is the financial aid like from Duke ?

Here's what I've gathered from a bit of investigation: Duke self-reported that in 2017-2018, the average cost per year for tuition in the Nicholas program was $39,000 and the average financial aid package provided to students was $30,500. Also, they reported that around 88% of Nicholas students received some sort of financial aid. I don't know if you'd also previously found this, but now it's here for all to utilize. Just from scanning the results on this forum, in the past five years, the reported aid packages of those who were accepted ranged from $15,000 to $35,000. Also, wow, Nepal! What are you (and/or everyone else) hoping to focus on regarding your track if you choose Nicholas? (e.g.: Environmental Economics & Policy)

4 hours ago, kljo15 said:

Here's what I've gathered from a bit of investigation: Duke self-reported that in 2017-2018, the average cost per year for tuition in the Nicholas program was $39,000 and the average financial aid package provided to students was $30,500. Also, they reported that around 88% of Nicholas students received some sort of financial aid. I don't know if you'd also previously found this, but now it's here for all to utilize. Just from scanning the results on this forum, in the past five years, the reported aid packages of those who were accepted ranged from $15,000 to $35,000. Also, wow, Nepal! What are you (and/or everyone else) hoping to focus on regarding your track if you choose Nicholas? (e.g.: Environmental Economics & Policy)

Thank you so much for this info. According to website though the number is 80% instead of 88%. Anyways, the important figure is the average package of $30k which is substantial. My focus is Energy and what I have gathered from this forum is that Energy is best at Duke. (even better than Yale FES). What other colleges/program did you apply to and what is your top choice? I got admit from SEAS Michigan and Duke. Awaiting Yale FES and SPEA Indiana (MPA/MSES). 

1 hour ago, hardikpokhrel said:

Thank you so much for this info. According to website though the number is 80% instead of 88%. Anyways, the important figure is the average package of $30k which is substantial. My focus is Energy and what I have gathered from this forum is that Energy is best at Duke. (even better than Yale FES). What other colleges/program did you apply to and what is your top choice? I got admit from SEAS Michigan and Duke. Awaiting Yale FES and SPEA Indiana (MPA/MSES). 

Is the 30k per year or for the entire 2 years? 

5 hours ago, hardikpokhrel said:

4 hours ago, SC88 said:

Is the 30k per year or for the entire 2 years? 

Duke was my top choice, but I also applied to SPEA Indiana and SUNY Albany for Ecotoxicology. Was accepted at Indiana on Monday, and they projected aid packages to be offered in the coming months. However, from looking into what they’ve offered for aid in the past, I will not be surprised if it is less than Duke. 

From the statistic I found, financial aid was ~30k per year. 

12 hours ago, kljo15 said:

Duke was my top choice, but I also applied to SPEA Indiana and SUNY Albany for Ecotoxicology. Was accepted at Indiana on Monday, and they projected aid packages to be offered in the coming months. However, from looking into what they’ve offered for aid in the past, I will not be surprised if it is less than Duke. 

Thanks a lot.. Average of 30k is very generous 

12 hours ago, kljo15 said:

I sent in my SPEA Indiana application just couple of weeks back. They extended the Feb 1 priority deadline to Feb 15. Also, do you all think Duke Nicholas is worth it if one has to take a loan to study. What is the ROI like ? I read that average salary is 65k (?). Is that a good salary/bad salary if you have to live in a city in US. Also, heard Durham is very cheap as a city to live in.  Is it true?

10 hours ago, sara501 said:

Has anyone else applied to the Bren school at UC Santa Barbara? That's my second choice.

I did! It's my third choice behind Yale and Duke. I am not hopeful about getting in at Yale, and I doubt Duke will cost less than UCSB. So I'm really hoping I get in.

My only concern is that I want to focus on international climate policy, so it would be quite important to be on the East Coast. I am actually quite curious to know how successful I would be to go to UCSB Bren and end up working in DC after graduation.

12 hours ago, hammyc said:

I did! It's my third choice behind Yale and Duke. I am not hopeful about getting in at Yale, and I doubt Duke will cost less than UCSB. So I'm really hoping I get in.

My only concern is that I want to focus on international climate policy, so it would be quite important to be on the East Coast. I am actually quite curious to know how successful I would be to go to UCSB Bren and end up working in DC after graduation.

From what I heard the Duke is better for connections in DC, I know UC Santa Barbara is in the top four, but it seems most of the graduates find jobs on the West Coast. I'm looking to focus on Water Resources Management so I'm not very concerned which coast I work on graduation.

Edited by sara501

On 2/17/2019 at 10:41 PM, hardikpokhrel said:

I sent in my SPEA Indiana application just couple of weeks back. They extended the Feb 1 priority deadline to Feb 15. Also, do you all think Duke Nicholas is worth it if one has to take a loan to study. What is the ROI like ? I read that average salary is 65k (?). Is that a good salary/bad salary if you have to live in a city in US. Also, heard Durham is very cheap as a city to live in.  Is it true?

I found the same statistic: for MEM grads specializing in Energy and Environment, the average salary was around 65k. While the cost of living varies across the country, in general, for a single person per year, the cost is ~13k. Considering that the median income in the US was around $32k and the average income was around $48k, I would consider $65K a good salary to live on in the US for a single person, but again, this may depend on where you want to live/what your situation is.

As far as the cost of living in Durham, I have read mixed results, but compared to the US as a whole it falls right around the average. This site, while projecting the cost of living in Durham to be slightly above the national average, also offered average rent prices for various bedroom sizes and estimated the average cost for studio and one-bedroom apartments to be around $100 - $200 less per month than the national average. https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/north_carolina/durham

I can't speak from experience regarding the cost of living in Durham, but I'm hoping to ask more about this when visiting campus in the coming months. I can follow up after I learn more, and can post about it so the information is more readily available. 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, kljo15 said:

I found the same statistic: for MEM grads specializing in Energy and Environment, the average salary was around 65k. While the cost of living varies across the country, in general, for a single person per year, the cost is ~13k. Considering that the median income in the US was around $32k and the average income was around $48k, I would consider $65K a good salary to live on in the US for a single person, but again, this may depend on where you want to live/what your situation is.

As far as the cost of living in Durham, I have read mixed results, but compared to the US as a whole it falls right around the average. This site, while projecting the cost of living in Durham to be slightly above the national average, also offered average rent prices for various bedroom sizes and estimated the average cost for studio and one-bedroom apartments to be around $100 - $200 less per month than the national average. https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/north_carolina/durham

I can't speak from experience regarding the cost of living in Durham, but I'm hoping to ask more about this when visiting campus in the coming months. I can follow up after I learn more, and can post about it so the information is more readily available. 

Thank you so much for this detailed information. 

I also got into Yale. Can't believe I got in. Anyone else got an email?? 

23 minutes ago, hardikpokhrel said:

Congrats man.. When did you get the mail? 

No email so far for me

Edited by SC88

36 minutes ago, hardikpokhrel said:

Congratulations! I saw this and anxiously checked my email and portal. Nothing for me yet. ?

4 hours ago, hardikpokhrel said:

N thank you so much. I'm sure they are just starting to send it n others and you will get it soon. I was expecting it in early March, so was surprised that they sent it early. 

I got the offer from Yale too!!! So surprised!!! I'm applying straight from undergrad as I'm still in my fourth year right now so I can't believe they accepted me.

10 hours ago, QL1998 said:

I got the offer from Yale too!!! So surprised!!! I'm applying straight from undergrad as I'm still in my fourth year right now so I can't believe they accepted me.

Congrats!! Now I regret not applying to Yale.. I’m still in my final year as well. Ended up applying only to Michigan SEAS, because they don’t emphasize on work experience. Do you mind telling me your stats?