2019 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology Admissions Results

ClayR

18 minutes ago, LaurenEm said:

Congratulations! I had the same concern when applying and TBH if I could have a do-over I'd probably apply for Einstein instead (much larger group of CB faculty there). I have a list of potential PIs with maybe computational projects I can PM you later :)

Questions about your invite: When did it go out, did it seem personalized, and are you also international? Also, I saw in another thread that you'd posted about Columbia. I have received absolutely from them too, and I emailed them about the status of my app last week ? 

Yes that would be amazing!! I listed a few in the form they sent out to organize the interview but still trying to look into potential faculty with comp research. 

About the invite, I got at 3:35pm EST. It didn't seem particularly personalized (it was sent by the Dean of the program Sidney Strickland) but it's my first so I don't really have anything to compare with. And yes, I am international! Also, the deadline to fill out the form isn't until Jan 18th, so they might still be sending out interviews? 11 days seems like pretty long if they sent all their invites out yesterday. 

Did Columbia respond to your email?

On 1/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, LaurenEm said:

Has anyone else heard back from Columbia C2B2 or biomedical informatics? I saw a round of invites in December, and then a round of rejections in January. But I still haven't heard anything.

Also dying inside because I saw Rockefeller has started sending out invites, and still nothing from Harvard BIG. Is this the real life? ?

Also haven't heard back from Harvard BIG ?Has anyone else heard back from them? Thank you! ?

On 12/17/2018 at 1:37 PM, bound_to_love said:

@brdu, UPenn has two weekend interview dates: one January 10-13th and the other February 14-17th. I'll be attending from February 14-17th. :)

@bound_to_love Would you know of other people who have also received interview invites? 

Edited by jayaramanp

On 1/8/2019 at 10:28 AM, desertgeneticist said:

Yes that would be amazing!! I listed a few in the form they sent out to organize the interview but still trying to look into potential faculty with comp research. 

About the invite, I got at 3:35pm EST. It didn't seem particularly personalized (it was sent by the Dean of the program Sidney Strickland) but it's my first so I don't really have anything to compare with. And yes, I am international! Also, the deadline to fill out the form isn't until Jan 18th, so they might still be sending out interviews? 11 days seems like pretty long if they sent all their invites out yesterday. 

Did Columbia respond to your email?

Yesterday Columbia (finally) sent out info regarding travel/hotel for the first interview weekend. There's a second weekend, so maybe they could still send out invites! 

1 hour ago, eupetalos said:

Yesterday Columbia (finally) sent out info regarding travel/hotel for the first interview weekend. There's a second weekend, so maybe they could still send out invites! 

I actually got an official rejection the day after they responded saying my application was "on hold for further review." Was definitely a reach for me though. Good luck with your interview!

6 hours ago, skyw said:

@huhrp  I applied the CSHL quant bio track and already got the rejections, my friend got an invitation before the new year. so maybe you are on waitlist?

Perhaps, I also thought I will be rejected as I saw the past record, but still there is not a official rejection.

Thanks and hope you get another interview/offer!

9 hours ago, huhrp said:

Does anyone applied Toronto molecular genetics and CSHL (quant bio)?

I am an international student but both are still without any update..

@huhrpI just got an acceptance to the Toronto MoGen PhD program by postal service last week and will have an interview for CBMG next week. It should be noted that the letter of acceptance was sent in December, perhaps delayed by the recent Canada Post strike. Also, I'm a Canadian domestic, so I don't know how this will impact international students.

Edited by Chickpeas_

6 hours ago, Chickpeas_ said:

@huhrpI just got an acceptance to the Toronto MoGen PhD program by postal service last week and will have an interview for CBMG next week. It should be noted that the letter of acceptance was sent in December, perhaps delayed by the recent Canada Post strike. Also, I'm a Canadian domestic, so I don't know how this will impact international students.

I have been interviewed by the prof who would like to sponsor me, before the December deadline. Perhaps due to my low GPA, 3.1 in UG(but for last two years are all >3.3),  3.5 in master (I get a C+ for a UG biology course- -, others are all >A-)

On 1/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, MagdaEis said:

Does anyone know if BU Bioinformatics has interviews?? If so, have they sent out any invites?

I'm waiting on them too, I check the rsults section and it seems like every year they send out invites towards the end of the month. So I figured that's when they will. 

12 hours ago, huhrp said:

I have been interviewed by the prof who would like to sponsor me, before the December deadline. Perhaps due to my low GPA, 3.1 in UG(but for last two years are all >3.3),  3.5 in master (I get a C+ for a UG biology course- -, others are all >A-)

I'm an international student currently at U of T MoGen -- from what I gather, usually when the sponsoring prof gave you the thumbs up, then your admission is pretty likely already. They do take forever to mail out acceptance letters though - I actually never received mine and had to chase down the program coordinator to get a scanned version before the deadline to respond was up. If you're worried, shoot the grad coordinator an email and I'm sure they would be happy to update you.

1 hour ago, thinhtran said:

I'm an international student currently at U of T MoGen -- from what I gather, usually when the sponsoring prof gave you the thumbs up, then your admission is pretty likely already. They do take forever to mail out acceptance letters though - I actually never received mine and had to chase down the program coordinator to get a scanned version before the deadline to respond was up. If you're worried, shoot the grad coordinator an email and I'm sure they would be happy to update you.

Thanks a lot, hope to meet you there!

Will my sponsoring prof know any abt my application status?

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from MIT CSB? I saw on the results page that some people have already heard back about interviews, and some have already been rejected. I have heard nothing (double-checked my spam folder), and just wondering if anyone else is still waiting to hear anything at all.