Social Work Ph.D.

DWCii

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who have applied for Social Work Ph.D. programs.

I personally have applied to three Social Work programs and two Africana Studies programs.  I am looking to research and legitimize racialized trauma while also looking at models of care to navigate through its effects.

Social Work programs I have applied to: University of Washington, University of Michigan, and Indiana University

Africana Studies programs I have applied to: Cornell and Brown

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have also applied for a PhD in Social Work in Canada. I will know if I got accepted or not by the end of February 2019. Good luck everyone!

Nice! What is the admissions process like in Canada? Any interviews?

I should be hearing back by the end of February, too.

1 hour ago, Noegenesis said:

OK, cool. I think some schools in the U.S. will offer interviews (based on discussions on here from previous years).

Yeah, and I think all schools of social work should do interviews to be honest. In my hometown, only grades, CV and statement of purpose count but I still feel like they should interview people. 

9 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yeah, and I think all schools of social work should do interviews to be honest. In my hometown, only grades, CV and statement of purpose count but I still feel like they should interview people. 

Interviews can certainly add to a more well-rounded assessment of candidates, though I can see how there might be concerns about stereotypes and snap judgments.

Here, schools look at grades, CV, recs, GRE, and SOP, and some require a writing sample and personal statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Social Work is one of the fastest growing professions in the United States so there is a need for scholars and academics in the field.  I am aware of two schools in my immediate vicinity that have established new MSW programs and are looking to establish Ph.D. programs.  In speaking with the directors of those programs, they implied that this is the case all over the US. 

54 minutes ago, DWCii said:

Social Work is one of the fastest growing professions in the United States so there is a need for scholars and academics in the field.  I am aware of two schools in my immediate vicinity that have established new MSW programs and are looking to establish Ph.D. programs.  In speaking with the directors of those programs, they implied that this is the case all over the US. 

Good to know. What about Canada? 

21 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Good to know. What about Canada? 

I have no clue ?.

When I was looking into PhD programs in Canada, the process and programs varied quite a bit.   I would think that a US PhD would be valued in Canada, but the difference in programs may play a role in a scholar/professor being marketable.   I would also think that there would be a market as Canada has a higher value for human service professions so there would be a need for professors.  This is my semi-educated guess haha!