Statistics requirement?

doctormelody

Hi, all. I apologize for creating so many threads but I figured this one might be applicable to others as well. My problem is this: the only school that I have applied to this cycle and one which I will definitely attend if I am admitted, has a pesky statistics requirement that I somehow didn't notice when I was doing research on the school. (I know I should have assumed that this would be the case - believe me, I am beating myself up about this enough already.) Anyway, this wouldn't be too much of a problem except that I recently moved states and so if I were to take a statistics course at a community college here the tuition would be astronomical (upwards of $1000). I am wondering if anyone here has ever found themselves in a similar position? Do I just have to eat the expense? I'm super mad at myself because if I had noticed this last spring I could have taken the class at a community college before I moved and I would not be having this problem.

At an info session I recently attended, the director of admissions and financial aid specified that one can be admitted provisionally without having taken a statistics course (thank God). I am wondering if they might be similarly flexible on WHEN I take the class? If I could take it during the fall semester that would help me so much, as I would qualify for in-state tuition then. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask the school, but I'd rather wait until I am actually admitted before I start bugging them about bending the rules, lol. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on cheaper alternatives (if such alternatives even exist).

I was in this situation, too. I applied in mid September to my school (UIC). However, a few days later, I left for Spain to teach for the year. I emailed their MSW admissions letting them know it wasn’t possible to take a class at my local CC, not even online as tests required you to be on campus. UIC admissions suggested I look into University of Louisville’s online statistic class (it’s offered for “visiting” MSW students). You have a study guide, practice test (optional), and two tests. You only need to take one test, and if you get a 70% or above you pass the course. If you get below, you get another shot. The course fee is $225, textbook isn’t required. UIC accepts this, ask your school if they do as well! 

3 hours ago, Rsanta7 said:

I was in this situation, too. I applied in mid September to my school (UIC). However, a few days later, I left for Spain to teach for the year. I emailed their MSW admissions letting them know it wasn’t possible to take a class at my local CC, not even online as tests required you to be on campus. UIC admissions suggested I look into University of Louisville’s online statistic class (it’s offered for “visiting” MSW students). You have a study guide, practice test (optional), and two tests. You only need to take one test, and if you get a 70% or above you pass the course. If you get below, you get another shot. The course fee is $225, textbook isn’t required. UIC accepts this, ask your school if they do as well! 

Thank you so so much!! I will definitely look into it.

55 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Thank you so so much!! I will definitely look into it.

Hopefully your school accepts it! 

Here's a link: https://admin.abcsignup.com/files/354BC685-6A42-D655-C6D5-A64641135889_15/9136/PrerequisiteFAQ.pdf

It also has a list of schools of the visiting students. Maybe yours will be on there. Even if not, it's worth a shot to ask your school. 

Have you taken any class that was similar to statistics or had statistics based coursework? When I got my letter of admission they said I did not meet the requirement and would have to take it. I had to send them a syllabus for a "Data Analysis" class I took that was basically just stats for social science majors. I emailed them the syllabus and they responded that it would count and I would not have to retake any stats classes before admission.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, bloome said:

Have you taken any class that was similar to statistics or had statistics based coursework? When I got my letter of admission they said I did not meet the requirement and would have to take it. I had to send them a syllabus for a "Data Analysis" class I took that was basically just stats for social science majors. I emailed them the syllabus and they responded that it would count and I would not have to retake any stats classes before admission.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I took no math classes in undergrad as none were required for my major. Thank you though, it was a good thought!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2018 at 4:01 PM, Rsanta7 said:

Hopefully your school accepts it! 

Here's a link: https://admin.abcsignup.com/files/354BC685-6A42-D655-C6D5-A64641135889_15/9136/PrerequisiteFAQ.pdf

It also has a list of schools of the visiting students. Maybe yours will be on there. Even if not, it's worth a shot to ask your school. 

Hi! I saw in another thread you were admitted to UIC fall '19! Congrats! I have been too and am about to register for this stats course and if you don't mind, I have a few questions about it.

How long did it take for you to complete? I am in between jobs and have a wide open 3 week time frame and want to crank it out since I'm free. Do you think this is possible? As someone who struggled with stats in undergrad but pulled through with a solid B, do you think this will be more of a refresher course? Thanks in advance!

54 minutes ago, krimbus said:

Hi! I saw in another thread you were admitted to UIC fall '19! Congrats! I have been too and am about to register for this stats course and if you don't mind, I have a few questions about it.

How long did it take for you to complete? I am in between jobs and have a wide open 3 week time frame and want to crank it out since I'm free. Do you think this is possible? As someone who struggled with stats in undergrad but pulled through with a solid B, do you think this will be more of a refresher course? Thanks in advance!

I think it is possible to complete it in three weeks! I registered in late November, but really sat down to study/take notes off the study guide provided during winter break. I was able to take the practice test and the first test and luckily scored well enough to pass. I didn't take a statistics course in undergrad and still passed, if it is any comfort. Good luck! I will see you around UIC! 

Edited by Rsanta7