Physics/chem requirement

When I started the COMD program, my advisor suggested I take astronomy over physics because it will cover the prereq requirement, so I did. However I don't know very many people who've done this, and the new advisor of our program doesn't allow students to do this anymore due to "ASHA concerns". Does anyone know if this will be accepted by the grad school programs?

I actually posted on this a couple months ago. I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, the new guidelines that require chemistry or physics actually kick in for anyone applying for their CCCs after 2019, meaning you have to have received your master's before then. Since I don't graduate until May 2020 I'm stuck with the new regulations even though I've already started my program, which is pretty lame. 

Here's the email I received from my advisor explaining this:

There have been some changes that are going into effect in 2020 for the pre-requisites. I have just been alerted of this information. Please see below:

·  Applicants for the CCC-SLP will be able to apply under the 2014 SLP standards until December 31, 2019.
·  Beginning January 1, 2020, applicants for the CCC-SLP will only be able to apply under the 2020 SLP standards.
2014 Standards
 2020 Standards
Standard IV-A: Applicants must have knowledge in physical sciences, which should be acquired through coursework in chemistry or physics.
Standard IV-A: (New Applicants Only) The required knowledge in physical sciences must be acquired through coursework in chemistry or physics

Edited by bibliophile222

4 hours ago, doodlydoe said:

When I started the COMD program, my advisor suggested I take astronomy over physics because it will cover the prereq requirement, so I did. However I don't know very many people who've done this, and the new advisor of our program doesn't allow students to do this anymore due to "ASHA concerns". Does anyone know if this will be accepted by the grad school programs?

Yeah, I did that too.. and now I am accepted to a graduate program, the ASHA standard will be in effect before I graduate and I HAVE to have either chem or physics taken before May 2019, which my grad program begins at the end of May. Anyways, I am enrolled in an online chemistry 1406 course, it is for allied health majors and will be okay for the ASHA req. From what I understand, unless you graduate and will apply for your C's before January 1 2020, you need to have the chem/physics. Just play it safe and take the course and no issue! :)

6 hours ago, MH13 said:

Yeah, I did that too.. and now I am accepted to a graduate program, the ASHA standard will be in effect before I graduate and I HAVE to have either chem or physics taken before May 2019, which my grad program begins at the end of May. Anyways, I am enrolled in an online chemistry 1406 course, it is for allied health majors and will be okay for the ASHA req. From what I understand, unless you graduate and will apply for your C's before January 1 2020, you need to have the chem/physics. Just play it safe and take the course and no issue! :)

Wow this sucks lol. I'm glad you were able to get it in. I'm graduating soon and can't fit in another class for the semester, but since my programs are all for Fall 2019 I'm hoping they'll accept me while I can take it in the summer? Anyways, thanks so much for the info!

10 hours ago, draySLP1 said:

From what I can tell the new ASHA guidelines don't go into effect until 2020, so may depend on when you are applying. I think generally programs do prefer chem or physics though. I'd recommend take one if you can. 

https://www.asha.org/certification/course-content-areas-for-slp-standards/

I'm applying for the Fall of 2019. Seems I'll have to take it!

10 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

I actually posted on this a couple months ago. I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, the new guidelines that require chemistry or physics actually kick in for anyone applying for their CCCs after 2019, meaning you have to have received your master's before then. Since I don't graduate until May 2020 I'm stuck with the new regulations even though I've already started my program, which is pretty lame. 

Here's the email I received from my advisor explaining this:

There have been some changes that are going into effect in 2020 for the pre-requisites. I have just been alerted of this information. Please see below:

·  Applicants for the CCC-SLP will be able to apply under the 2014 SLP standards until December 31, 2019.
·  Beginning January 1, 2020, applicants for the CCC-SLP will only be able to apply under the 2020 SLP standards.
2014 Standards
 2020 Standards
Standard IV-A: Applicants must have knowledge in physical sciences, which should be acquired through coursework in chemistry or physics.
Standard IV-A: (New Applicants Only) The required knowledge in physical sciences must be acquired through coursework in chemistry or physics

Oh wow. It sucks that this change impacts you while you are already in grad school. I can't fit in another class before graduating in the Spring. Do you assume programs will still accept me for this cycle while I take in the summer at a community college? 

I know, right? I'm planning on taking it online this summer when I "only" have my first externship and one other online class to take. It shouldn't be too terrible, but I'm still annoyed. I wish I could have been grandfathered in under the old rules.

My guess is some programs might be wary about you taking prereqs the summer before, since they have no proof of completion at the time of acceptance, but since these changes have only been announced recently I think it would be pretty unfair of them not to take you! I think if you talk to the schools and explain the situation and that you can take the course in the summer it should be fine, just make sure to finish before the semester begins and send your transcript! Also, some programs (mine included) highly recommend that you finish all ASHA prereqs before beginning but do not make it mandatory as long as you get it done before you finish the grad program. 

18 hours ago, doodlydoe said:

Wow this sucks lol. I'm glad you were able to get it in. I'm graduating soon and can't fit in another class for the semester, but since my programs are all for Fall 2019 I'm hoping they'll accept me while I can take it in the summer? Anyways, thanks so much for the info!

They should! Mine accepted me and was like okay, this is what you have to take and complete before the first day of classes. So, I’m taking an online chem class from Central Texas College for $452. Cheapest I could find that was 100% online since I can’t just leave my job midday (I’m a school SLP Assistant) to take a class. It was also cheaper than the in-person class that is weekends! Craziness. Anyways, good luck, and thank you!

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone!

I intend to start an SLP post-bacc program in the Fall of 2021, but am trying to complete my ASHA physical sciences requirement now while I have a bit more time. I have an undergraduate degree in Spanish and Sociology. I've been in touch with some professors from different graduate programs about a few classes I am considering taking at Montgomery College. I'm still waiting for some responses, but thought I'd ask here as well. The course is called Chemistry and Society and the description is below.

Does anyone know if this would be an acceptable course for the ASHA physical sciences requirement? I am unsure because of its focus on a specific topic within chemistry. 

I would greatly appreciate any input! Thanks so much!

Class Description:

Development of an understanding of the basic principles that are the foundations of chemistry; the significance of chemistry in our society; and the application of chemistry to environmental problems such as air and water pollution, food additives, solid waste recycling, and the energy resources of the earth. CHEM 109 will satisfy the NSND general education requirement. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, JL0112 said:

Hi Everyone!

I intend to start an SLP post-bacc program in the Fall of 2021, but am trying to complete my ASHA physical sciences requirement now while I have a bit more time. I have an undergraduate degree in Spanish and Sociology. I've been in touch with some professors from different graduate programs about a few classes I am considering taking at Montgomery College. I'm still waiting for some responses, but thought I'd ask here as well. The course is called Chemistry and Society and the description is below.

Does anyone know if this would be an acceptable course for the ASHA physical sciences requirement? I am unsure because of its focus on a specific topic within chemistry. 

I would greatly appreciate any input! Thanks so much!

Class Description:

Development of an understanding of the basic principles that are the foundations of chemistry; the significance of chemistry in our society; and the application of chemistry to environmental problems such as air and water pollution, food additives, solid waste recycling, and the energy resources of the earth. CHEM 109 will satisfy the NSND general education requirement. 

Hey!

I am also planning to apply for Fall 2021 so I am trying to get my pre reqs out the way. Even smaller world I am taking this exact course at Montgomery College this Spring semester! I reached out to ASHA and they told me they do not make the decision, the graduate program does. I contacted several programs that I am interested in applying to, and most of them have responded saying a lab is not required for the physical science requirement, and the Chemistry and Society course is acceptable. They said as long as the course is "CHEM" it'll be accepted. I too was worried that the "society" part of the course wouldn't apply! But one of the course outcomes is to describe the chemical and physical properties of atoms, ions, and molecules. I sent them the course description and the syllabus from the school for a better description. Anyways, hope this helps and maybe we will take the same class!

Hi! Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it! I was able to get in touch with a few grad programs and send them a syllabus and those who have responded said it would be accepted. Not sure quite yet which section I'll be taking but hope to see you there!