Pregnancy during SLP grad school

Not sure. I did my undergrad pregnant. Yeah. It was hard. I wouldn’t recommend it. I had my son 2 weeks before spring break and still needed to come in for exams but they were pretty understanding about lecture. I felt very behind even though I had some great girls who took awesome notes and such for me. My daughter was born the day of finals, a week before graduation. I literally went in and did my last final, went home to get my stuff and back to the hospital to have my c-section that afternoon. I didn’t attend graduation. I can only imagine how difficult grad school would be and I know they always suggest to wait until after you complete school and your CFY year. 

There have been several pregnant women in my program. All of their accommodations were different based on where they were in the program. Specifically the girl in my cohort is taking 2 less classes than everyone else (clinic and then one of her choice). As her due date came closer and after she gave birth, she was allowed to FaceTime into class and take her exams online. My program is a 2 year program so a few of them ended up graduating late but some of the others didn’t end up needing extra time based on when they were due. I would talk to program directors to see how they typically handle the situation but they can’t discriminate against you and not accept you because you’re pregnant so don’t stress too my about that

Edited by soontobeslp2018

This is very helpful, I appreciate the encouragement! Where did you attend grad school? I am wondering if some schools are more willing to accommodate than others. I plan on applying to a few, and then telling them my due date and seeing which ones will work with me. Thanks!

2 hours ago, RP12345 said:

This is very helpful, I appreciate the encouragement! Where did you attend grad school? I am wondering if some schools are more willing to accommodate than others. I plan on applying to a few, and then telling them my due date and seeing which ones will work with me. Thanks!

I go to a school in North Carolina 

I attend RMUoHP and the faculty seems to be understanding about being pregnant during the program and/or already having kiddos. They have been very accommodating to the moms in the program and have told another student that they will work with her if she gets pregnant during the program. They also have lactation rooms on-campus. Hope this helps!