advice - transferring

nushi

hey everyone... ?

I'm presently studying as an international student in my first year PhD in america... i'm considering to transfer to another university, so i'm seeking your advice...

the university i'm in right now provides me with a first year fellowship & then an assistantship... however, professors here don't do research in the field that i want to do my dissertation in... & furthermore, the one professor here who's the closest to the line of research i want to do, turned out to be very "dictational", & is not open to the student synthesizing ideas & providing criticisms of their own - & this makes me feel shackled in my creativity & depressed...

however, the line of research i want to specialize in, is very rare... it's the world-systems evolution & analysis, within sociology... so far, i only found 2 universities, each one having only one single professor doing this kind of research, so i'm applying to them now...

but i'm not sure if i should apply to other universities as well, even though they may have no professors specializing in this research, but they may have more diversified specializations & a larger number of professors who are more open-minded than the professor here in my present university... the department i'm studying in right now, has a very small number of professors, with a very limited number of areas of research...

but i also feel shy, that after they provided me with funding, i'd leave them to another university...

what's your advice? should i apply to transfer to other universities (other than these two that i'm applying to right now), just for the sake of studying with more diversified & open-minded professors?