15 hours ago, smeriya5 said:

I am looking into getting my MSW online. Any suggestions on accredited online programs? I am looking into oncology or geriatric social work. Thanks!

Hi, I went by this list last year when I was doing research. Never hurts to double check, but you'll be safe with the big name schools, at least. I don't know anything about schools that offer specializations in oncology or geriatric social work as it's not my focus, sorry!

https://www.bestcolleges.com/features/top-online-masters-social-work-programs/

There's also this directory that I found on the Council for Social Work Education's website:

https://www.cswe.org/Accreditation/Directory-of-Accredited-Programs/Online-and-Distance-Education

If you scroll down a little you should see Master's programs. Also, if you search for "online" in this forum or "online MSW" more generally, you should find some useful info. Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

hey everyone- I am currently working on becoming a substance abuse counselor and have a job offer at my current internship. After much thought, I do know I would like to go back to get a masters in social work. How do employers view online MSW programs vs in person MSW programs? I am debating whether or not I can realistically pursue a program at the same time as I am working and wanted to know what biases exist for employers- if it does exist. Thoughts/advice/ warnings?! It would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 4:57 PM, socialworkerwarrior said:

hey everyone- I am currently working on becoming a substance abuse counselor and have a job offer at my current internship. After much thought, I do know I would like to go back to get a masters in social work. How do employers view online MSW programs vs in person MSW programs? I am debating whether or not I can realistically pursue a program at the same time as I am working and wanted to know what biases exist for employers- if it does exist. Thoughts/advice/ warnings?! It would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose this answer could vary depending on who you ask, so just know this is only my personal opinion.
 When it comes to an MSW program, I seriously think employers only care that you got Licensed. If your program doesn't lead to that (or qualify for you to sit for the exam), then maybe you would run into issues. At the end of the day, they  just want to know that you are a legitimate,  LSW (or LCSW). Most of the accredited programs are from major universities anyways and your certificate typically isn't going to mention being online (although it could, I dont think it is as likely). Even if it does mention online or you explain you did your online, in this day and age a ton of people have online degrees and have some awesome careers. I dont see it being a setback as long as its CSWE accredited. Your field placement and everything else you have to offer on your resume and in interviews is what I think they will care about, but i could be wrong. 

On 1/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, smeriya5 said:

I am looking into getting my MSW online. Any suggestions on accredited online programs? I am looking into oncology or geriatric social work. Thanks!

I used this website as my guide, that way it takes at all the guess work as far as accreditation goes. 

https://www.cswe.org/Accreditation/Directory-of-Accredited-Programs/Online-and-Distance-Education

Secondly, a lot of the online programs I looked into at least have classes on the geriatric side of things. Some even offer concentrations in them. But even if they do not offer that, you have the bulk of your grad school in field work, so you could use that time to concentrate more specifically in that and use the internship period as way to gain insightful knowledge. Personally I am attending WVU's online program. They have the concentration of geriatric on-campus but I am not sure they offer it online. I do know they have several Geriatric classes you can take online as it pertains to social work though. 

As for oncology, I have not found any with that specific interest (but that doesnt mean they dont exist!)

My end goal (currently) is to become a hospital SWer. So I plan on taking some social worker classes that have to deal with the medical setting. That could be where you get more of that oncology feel