MIT Mechancial Engineering SM

Kingoflimbs

Same here. GRE wise I am just meeting the average scores of last year's cohort, while I only have limited research experience from projects and research internship. However my final year project was based on one of the lab's research some years ago. Hopefully they would look past my bad CV haha.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, Maverick1 said:

Same here. GRE wise I am just meeting the average scores of last year's cohort, while I only have limited research experience from projects and research internship. However my final year project was based on one of the lab's research some years ago. Hopefully they would look past my bad CV haha.

same here. I founded an engineering related startup so i hope that helps...but being from africa certainly doesn't help my chances ?

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Maverick1 said:

Looks like next week is judgement day.

Untitled.thumb.png.9145e5d007ba8b47775b501fc4bec4f5.png

yh, seems like so if the poster is legit. Fingers crossed. My Low GRE  is making me not  confident at all

Edited by Kingoflimbs
wrong figure

14 hours ago, Kingoflimbs said:

decisions should roll out this week

That's according to the poster, though. It seemed like last year there were at least 2 waves - one around now, and another at the beginning of March. So we will see!

10 minutes ago, blahblah_girl said:

That's according to the poster, though. It seemed like last year there were at least 2 waves - one around now, and another at the beginning of March. So we will see!

In fact, according to the MIT MechE website: 

"Decisions will be done on a rolling basis beginning the end of February and continuing until the end of March." 

On 2/12/2019 at 2:50 AM, blahblah_girl said:

In fact, according to the MIT MechE website: 

"Decisions will be done on a rolling basis beginning the end of February and continuing until the end of March." 

Fair enough

Seriously, I am starting to wonder if we have all been rejected. It is common that they send out all the rejections at the very end while keeping people waiting after the wave of acceptance, by saying "we are still reviewing". Besides, compared to 2018, quite a number of acceptance would have been posted here at this point in time but we have only seen 1 person claiming acceptance to ME PhD.

5 minutes ago, Maverick1 said:

Seriously, I am starting to wonder if we have all been rejected. It is common that they send out all the rejections at the very end while keeping people waiting after the wave of acceptance, by saying "we are still reviewing". Besides, compared to 2018, quite a number of acceptance would have been posted here at this point in time but we have only seen 1 person claiming acceptance to ME PhD.

but the website says on a rolling basis from the end of february. Also if they have rolled out admits, a lot more people would be posting on the results page

Lol, rejection is very likely (at least for me!). It does seem like they are a bit behind this year, at least with PhD acceptances. I heard some people saying that the government shutdown could have affected PhD offers due to uncertainty with funding (not specific to MIT, just in general). And historically it seems like they give PhD offers before SM, so it might take us a while to get our decisions. 

At any case, don't lose hope! Last year they sent out acceptances for SM in March too. 

Anyway...I promise I will post my rejection/acceptance on the results page as soon as I get it. 

1 minute ago, blahblah_girl said:

Lol, rejection is very likely (at least for me!). It does seem like they are a bit behind this year, at least with PhD acceptances. I heard some people saying that the government shutdown could have affected PhD offers due to uncertainty with funding (not specific to MIT, just in general). And historically it seems like they give PhD offers before SM, so it might take us a while to get our decisions. 

At any case, don't lose hope! Last year they sent out acceptances for SM in March too. 

Anyway...I promise I will post my rejection/acceptance on the results page as soon as I get it. 

yh, spot on.  any particual reason why you feel you'd be rejected?

Hm being an international applicant, it is quite surprising to hear that the government shutdown could have affected private institutions like MIT, though I am not clear on how dependent is MIT on government funding for research.

@Kingoflimbs: yea i know, the "rolling admissions" part. But i just feel things are a little off haha.

@blahblah_girl: I will post my results here as well for clarity's sake.

2 hours ago, Kingoflimbs said:

yh, spot on.  any particual reason why you feel you'd be rejected?

I just don't believe myself to be the strongest applicant, I guess. Part of might be true, some part of it might be an impostor syndrome! It's going to be what it's going to be :)

3 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

I just don't believe myself to be the strongest applicant, I guess. Part of might be true, some part of it might be an impostor syndrome! It's going to be what it's going to be :)

I think 90% of us feel like that. I am only banking upon my unique background and the admissions committee reviewing my application holistically to fish it out and hopefully deem me fit for admission

9 hours ago, Kingoflimbs said:

I think 90% of us feel like that. I am only banking upon my unique background and the admissions committee reviewing my application holistically to fish it out and hopefully deem me fit for admission

I wonder if the 10% who don't think that way actually gets in!

Does anybody know any statistics on how many people actually get in? I know that US News says that about 22% of Masters applicants for ALL engineering majors at MIT get in, but I don't know how up to date that information is and how ME differs from that number (more or less competitive?).

I wonder if the 10% who don't think that way actually gets in!

Does anybody know any statistics on how many people actually get in? I know that US News says that about 22% of Masters applicants for ALL engineering majors at MIT get in, but I don't know how up to date that information is and how ME differs from that number (more or less competitive?).

For ME 2018, it was 11.7%, as compared to e.g. - 14.9% for MIT AeroAstro 2018. And I thought AeroAstro would have been more competitive.

Source: http://ir.mit.edu/graduate-education-statistics

(click on the Tableau link inside the above webpage to see 2018 stats)

Edited by Maverick1

6 hours ago, Maverick1 said:

For ME 2018, it was 11.7%, as compared to e.g. - 14.9% for MIT AeroAstro 2018. And I thought AeroAstro would have been more competitive.

Source: http://ir.mit.edu/graduate-education-statistics

(click on the Tableau link inside the above webpage to see 2018 stats)

Thank you for the link! But from what I understand, that number includes PhD applicants, right? PhD is usually more competitive than Masters...from what I know. 

2 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

Thank you for the link! But from what I understand, that number includes PhD applicants, right? PhD is usually more competitive than Masters...from what I know. 

You can filter for just the Masters

1 hour ago, Kingoflimbs said:

You can filter for just the Masters

Nah, the charts do not work that way. The left chart, where you can filter for Masters or PhDs, is only a breakdown of those who have enrolled into the course. The right chart, which gives the admission statistics, only provides the combined (Masters+PhDs) data. Thus, you cannot tell the admission rates for Masters and PhDs separately.

Yup, that number includes PhD applicants. I guess so, but MIT ME does not allow direct PhDs i.e. you must have a Masters degree before you can apply for the PhD program. So that could mean more people fighting for the Masters so that they can continue onto their PhDs at MIT. Of course, there is a myriad of scenarios to consider. However from the point of view of research labs, I would say PhD students are more worthwhile to them since they study longer (and are cheap labor as well) and therefore can produce greater research output as compared to Masters students. So maybe, there are less slots available for Masters applicants. Just some meaningless speculations.

2 hours ago, Maverick1 said:

Nah, the charts do not work that way. The left chart, where you can filter for Masters or PhDs, is only a breakdown of those who have enrolled into the course. The right chart, which gives the admission statistics, only provides the combined (Masters+PhDs) data. Thus, you cannot tell the admission rates for Masters and PhDs separately.

Yup, that number includes PhD applicants. I guess so, but MIT ME does not allow direct PhDs i.e. you must have a Masters degree before you can apply for the PhD program. So that could mean more people fighting for the Masters so that they can continue onto their PhDs at MIT. Of course, there is a myriad of scenarios to consider. However from the point of view of research labs, I would say PhD students are more worthwhile to them since they study longer (and are cheap labor as well) and therefore can produce greater research output as compared to Masters students. So maybe, there are less slots available for Masters applicants. Just some meaningless speculations.

Does anyone know whether what one selects as final degree objective affect admissions decisions. My initial degree objective is the SM and final degree objective is the PhD