Fall 2019 Experimental Psychology Canadian Applicants!

lmk94

Hi everyone!

I figured I would attempt to make a new thread for us, as I feel we don't really fit in to the Psych PhD thread or the Canadian Clinical Psych thread. Hopefully I am not the only one of us Canadian Experimental Psych folks that has been obsessively reading these forums! 

About me: American student applying to programs for the third time. First round was all American Psych PhD programs that I got rejected from, second round was all master's programs which I got into and will complete this May, and now here I am applying to mainly Canadian Psychology PhD programs (whew). My area of interest within psychology is Behavioral Neuroscience, and I have been doing research in this field in a variety of capacities for 4 years now (undergrad, lab tech, master's student).

Programs applied to: University of Toronto, Brock University, University of Guelph, Western University (neuro PhD), and McMaster University (neuro PhD). So far I have been invited to University of Toronto's recruitment weekend (Jan 24&25). Since Guelph, Western, and Mac aren't due until mid-January, I haven't begun to freak out yet. 

Hopefully this thread takes off so I have some people in a similar situation to talk to!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I am Brazilian, applying to master's programs in University of Toronto, McGill and Western. I am a little worried because I haven't heard anything from any of those universities yet. What is this recruitment weekend that you mentioned? I'm freaking out ?

12 hours ago, Fabretti said:

Hi!

I am Brazilian, applying to master's programs in University of Toronto, McGill and Western. I am a little worried because I haven't heard anything from any of those universities yet. What is this recruitment weekend that you mentioned? I'm freaking out ?

Hi! I was not given too much information about recruitment weekend besides the dates. I know Behavioral Neuroscience and Social Psych are technically both within U of T's Experimental Psych program, but I'm not sure if they handle their recruitment weekends differently. Best of luck to you! I did not apply to McGill but I did apply to Western and have not heard anything yet either. 

15 hours ago, lmk94 said:

Hi! I was not given too much information about recruitment weekend besides the dates. I know Behavioral Neuroscience and Social Psych are technically both within U of T's Experimental Psych program, but I'm not sure if they handle their recruitment weekends differently. Best of luck to you! I did not apply to McGill but I did apply to Western and have not heard anything yet either. 

Oh, I'm hoping they are different ?. Good to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't receive anything from Western yet... God I'm so nervous ?

Hey!

I'm Canadian, first time applying. I've applied to psych MA programs at U of T, Waterloo, McMaster, Ryerson, and York. So far have only been invited to the U of T recruitment week and have already interviewed with my POI.

I'm wondering whether anyone has some insight into the U of T recruitment weekend - there doesn't seem to be a slot for formal interviews in my schedule, and they're reimbursing for all travel expenses. I've heard from students in other departments at U of T that their departments only do this sort of thing once the acceptance letters are sent out to students and subsequently invite them for a "prospective student" weekend instead of a recruitment weekend. Just wondering what to expect and whether this is a good sign or a really good sign :)

Best of luck, guys!

On 1/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, eggs.pdf said:

Hey!

I'm Canadian, first time applying. I've applied to psych MA programs at U of T, Waterloo, McMaster, Ryerson, and York. So far have only been invited to the U of T recruitment week and have already interviewed with my POI.

I'm wondering whether anyone has some insight into the U of T recruitment weekend - there doesn't seem to be a slot for formal interviews in my schedule, and they're reimbursing for all travel expenses. I've heard from students in other departments at U of T that their departments only do this sort of thing once the acceptance letters are sent out to students and subsequently invite them for a "prospective student" weekend instead of a recruitment weekend. Just wondering what to expect and whether this is a good sign or a really good sign :)

Best of luck, guys!

Congrats on the U of T invite! I will be at recruitment weekend as well. I received an initial schedule from the graduate coordinator that was very vague regarding the interview side of things but had all the information on where everyone was meeting for dinner. I basically had one giant block of time on there that said UTM (where my POI is) and that was it. Then today, I received a follow-up email from my POI with a second schedule that had interview times and lab tours during that UTM time slot. 

My POI has given me a bit of information about how the process works, but with me being international it may be different. She told me that attending the recruitment event is not required for a successful offer, but it does give the opportunity to get to know everyone better. Apparently official offers from the graduate committee will go out in mid-February, and with me being international, the process at this point is still extremely competitive despite me being invited to recruitment weekend. Based on that language, it sounds like a much better situation for Canadians, so it sounds to me like you're probably in a good spot! Best of luck!

22 hours ago, lmk94 said:

Congrats on the U of T invite! I will be at recruitment weekend as well. I received an initial schedule from the graduate coordinator that was very vague regarding the interview side of things but had all the information on where everyone was meeting for dinner. I basically had one giant block of time on there that said UTM (where my POI is) and that was it. Then today, I received a follow-up email from my POI with a second schedule that had interview times and lab tours during that UTM time slot. 

My POI has given me a bit of information about how the process works, but with me being international it may be different. She told me that attending the recruitment event is not required for a successful offer, but it does give the opportunity to get to know everyone better. Apparently official offers from the graduate committee will go out in mid-February, and with me being international, the process at this point is still extremely competitive despite me being invited to recruitment weekend. Based on that language, it sounds like a much better situation for Canadians, so it sounds to me like you're probably in a good spot! Best of luck!

Awesome, thanks for the info! Very helpful.

Ha, I will be at UTM as well :) Good luck with all your interviews and tours and hope you get in! 

44 minutes ago, angelsocialpsych said:

Hi! Has anyone heard from the University of Guelph? 

I applied to their Neuroscience and Applied Cognitive Science program within the Psychology department and have not heard anything yet!

2 hours ago, angelsocialpsych said:

What is your current status on WebAdvisor?

It says "All Documents Received", but I got an email from Robin (the grad coordinator) saying that my application is under review and I should know whether I am selected for an interview by mid-February. 

14 hours ago, lmk94 said:

It says "All Documents Received", but I got an email from Robin (the grad coordinator) saying that my application is under review and I should know whether I am selected for an interview by mid-February. 

Same for me. Thank you! 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, lmk94 said:

Hi everyone!

I figured I would attempt to make a new thread for us, as I feel we don't really fit in to the Psych PhD thread or the Canadian Clinical Psych thread. Hopefully I am not the only one of us Canadian Experimental Psych folks that has been obsessively reading these forums! 

About me: American student applying to programs for the third time. First round was all American Psych PhD programs that I got rejected from, second round was all master's programs which I got into and will complete this May, and now here I am applying to mainly Canadian Psychology PhD programs (whew). My area of interest within psychology is Behavioral Neuroscience, and I have been doing research in this field in a variety of capacities for 4 years now (undergrad, lab tech, master's student).

Programs applied to: University of Toronto, Brock University, University of Guelph, Western University (neuro PhD), and McMaster University (neuro PhD). So far I have been invited to University of Toronto's recruitment weekend (Jan 24&25). Since Guelph, Western, and Mac aren't due until mid-January, I haven't begun to freak out yet. 

Hopefully this thread takes off so I have some people in a similar situation to talk to!

Hello, I'm an international student  who also attended the UofT recruitment event on jan 24th and 25th (applying for MA program). Have you heard anything as yet/do you know when we can expect to get news? Have Canadian students gotten news? 

would l o v e to hear something (anything) soon. 

2 minutes ago, ananasbananas said:

Hello, I'm an international student  who also attended the UofT recruitment event on jan 24th and 25th (applying for MA program). Have you heard anything as yet/do you know when we can expect to get news? Have Canadian students gotten news? 

I am an international applicant as well and unfortunately haven't heard anything yet. I talked to a current U of T student that applied as international last year, and they said they heard back around February 10th last year. Soo hopefully by the end of this week?!

3 minutes ago, lmk94 said:

I am an international applicant as well and unfortunately haven't heard anything yet. I talked to a current U of T student that applied as international last year, and they said they heard back around February 10th last year. Soo hopefully by the end of this week?!

Thanks! Fingers crossed. 

Also thanks for this thread!! think it's help ease the anxiety. 

1 minute ago, bananasananas said:

Thanks! Fingers crossed. 

Also thanks for this thread!! think it's help ease the anxiety. 

For sure! I wish this thread was more popular (especially with more Canadians who probably hear back before we do) but it still makes me feel better to see that I'm not the only one that hasn't heard back yet! 

11 hours ago, bananasananas said:

11 hours ago, lmk94 said:

Hey guys! I'm a Canadian applicant to U of T's MA program. My POI informed me last week that official letters are in the works, so they should be coming very shortly :)