Fall 2019 Experimental Psychology Canadian Applicants!

lmk94

12 hours ago, lmk94 said:

For those who applied to Brock - my portal status just changed to "admitted", stating that the official letter will be available in 3-5 business days.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?

3 hours ago, Fabretti said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks!

American student. Undergrad GPA: 3.8, Masters GPA: 3.4. GRE was 155V/154Q/4.0W, taken nearly 5 years ago. 2 years experience in two different undergrad research labs, one year experience as a full time lab tech, and 2 years experience in my masters thesis lab. 2 publications, handful of presentations, and probably most importantly is my previous experience and current interests matched perfectly with the advisors that ultimately accepted me. Number wise, my GPA (mainly masters) and GRE are quite low, but research experience/productivity and research fit definitely helped me out I think. 

I didn't get into any Ph.D. programs until this cycle, which was my third time applying, so to anyone reading this please don't lose hope. Tenacity definitely helps out in the end!

5 hours ago, lmk94 said:

Thanks!

American student. Undergrad GPA: 3.8, Masters GPA: 3.4. GRE was 155V/154Q/4.0W, taken nearly 5 years ago. 2 years experience in two different undergrad research labs, one year experience as a full time lab tech, and 2 years experience in my masters thesis lab. 2 publications, handful of presentations, and probably most importantly is my previous experience and current interests matched perfectly with the advisors that ultimately accepted me. Number wise, my GPA (mainly masters) and GRE are quite low, but research experience/productivity and research fit definitely helped me out I think. 

I didn't get into any Ph.D. programs until this cycle, which was my third time applying, so to anyone reading this please don't lose hope. Tenacity definitely helps out in the end!

Thank you for your response. It is nice to read such kind of advice because this is my first time applying to graduate schools outside Brazil and I'm probably not being accepted (already rejected from U of T and didn't hear anything back from McGill and Western). I was already accepted in the Master's program in my home university, so I'm going to focus on publishing and getting good grades to have a chance.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:04 AM, lmk94 said:

Thanks!

I'm curious to know whether your stats were the same the first two times you applied? And if not, what changed? For example did you acquire more publications and presentations a long the way? Would be really useful to know what makes the difference in getting an admission.

13 minutes ago, bananasananas said:

I'm curious to know whether your stats were the same the first two times you applied? And if not, what changed? For example did you acquire more publications and presentations a long the way? Would be really useful to know what makes the difference in getting an admission.

First time I applied, I was a senior in undergrad. At that point, I had a handful of local presentations, 3 regional presentations, and 0 publications. I only had two years of research experience at this point. Second time was the December immediately after undergrad, and I didn't add any presentations/publications for that cycle. I did end up with a full time lab tech job, but by time I applied I was only a few months into that position. This time, I was a year and a half into a two year master's program (I completed my master's in my home country, USA). I added another handful of local presentations, 1 international presentation, and 2 publications. My field within psych is in behavioral neuroscience, so at this point I also acquired some advanced lab techniques, including small animal surgery and genetics work. I think the variety of my experiences (one undergrad lab with human subjects, one undergrad lab with animals, one lab tech position with animals, and my masters lab with animals) helped a lot, along with me reaching out to my advisor of interest several months before the deadline to skype. Hopefully this helps!

Guest notsethrogen

Hi everyone.  Not sure why this thread doesn't get more traction.  Anywho... I applied for experimental at McGill and have been looking at a 'under review' status for months now.  At this point, is it fair to assume it's a no-go?

5 hours ago, notsethrogen said:

Hi everyone.  Not sure why this thread doesn't get more traction.  Anywho... I applied for experimental at McGill and have been looking at a 'under review' status for months now.  At this point, is it fair to assume it's a no-go?

Same thing here, but I have hope since nobody posted anything about McGill in the results section.

Guest notsethrogen
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Has anyone heard from the experimental program at Ottawa?  I had heard that they were on the later side for clinical, but I don't know if that changes anything for experimental.

Do you know if Ottawa interviews or if they already did?  I applied for clinical there and have been "under evaluation" for a long time now.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, notsethrogen said:

Do you know if Ottawa interviews or if they already did?  I applied for clinical there and have been "under evaluation" for a long time now.

Alas, I don't know, but I saw some posts on the survey results page.

Guest notsethrogen
On 2/28/2019 at 8:51 PM, Fabretti said:

Same thing here, but I have hope since nobody posted anything about McGill in the results section.

Ok, seriously.  What the heck is going on at McGill?  Still under review.  Called department and left voicemail, no answer.  Emailed coordinator, no answer.  Submitted question on the application page answer box thingy, no answer.  Does anyone know how to contact McGill and actually have someone engage in conversation?

Guest notsethrogen

Someone from McGill finally replied to me.  She said POIs normally reach out to students themselves.  If you haven't heard back yet, then it is unlikely you will be admitted.  She also said notification updates will be sent mid-March.

18 hours ago, notsethrogen said:

Someone from McGill finally replied to me.  She said POIs normally reach out to students themselves.  If you haven't heard back yet, then it is unlikely you will be admitted.  She also said notification updates will be sent mid-March.

Oh god, that's so sad... I've been obsessively checking uApply website and It has been market as "Under Review" since the application. It sucks ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest notsethrogen
On 3/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, Fabretti said:

Oh god, that's so sad... I've been obsessively checking uApply website and It has been market as "Under Review" since the application. It sucks ?

Omg, it still says "Under Reivew"... it is rejection via radio silence.  What the hell.  Unless I am waitlisted... and they really want me... maybe there is still a chance... MAYBE I WILL BE ADMITTED AFTER ALL?!  I am going mad.  Jk.  It is just not very professional.  Just update my application for personal closure and respect.  Cause we put a lot of time, money, and passion into the application and it would be nice not to be completely ignored for 6 months.

On 3/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, notsethrogen said:

Omg, it still says "Under Reivew"... it is rejection via radio silence.  What the hell.  Unless I am waitlisted... and they really want me... maybe there is still a chance... MAYBE I WILL BE ADMITTED AFTER ALL?!  I am going mad.  Jk.  It is just not very professional.  Just update my application for personal closure and respect.  Cause we put a lot of time, money, and passion into the application and it would be nice not to be completely ignored for 6 months.

Same here... Under Review. I am supposing it means rejection (I wasn't even interviewed) but at the same time it just doesn't make sense not changing the status to "Rejected" as soon as possible so that these applicants can move on with their lifes. Western University is suppose to release their decisions by April, but my "Not Offered Admission" is there since mid March. So maybe there is still hope after all.

Just received an e-mail to check the uApply decision, which has been refusal of my application, as expected:

"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. We were only able to accept 20 out of the 333 applications. The selection procedure was very difficult, and many highly qualified candidates had to be refused. Please accept our wishes for success in pursuing your academic goals."