Funding for MA programs in Museum Studies

AspiringHistorian97

I am looking to apply to MA programs in the museums studies realm, but the funding has been pretty lacking thus far. I know there are programs out there with assistantships, fellowships, or other sources of funding, but I have not been able to dig any up. I am flexible to travel anywhere really, so that is not a barrier. If anyone could point me in the right direction or give their opinion that would be wonderful. I have found amazing topics on Grad Cafe regarding schools with funding for other programs, but I have not found any great topics on museum studies. 

13 hours ago, AspiringHistorian97 said:

I am looking to apply to MA programs in the museums studies realm, but the funding has been pretty lacking thus far. I know there are programs out there with assistantships, fellowships, or other sources of funding, but I have not been able to dig any up. I am flexible to travel anywhere really, so that is not a barrier. If anyone could point me in the right direction or give their opinion that would be wonderful. I have found amazing topics on Grad Cafe regarding schools with funding for other programs, but I have not found any great topics on museum studies. 

One of my friends from undergrad got into Syracuse's program with a GA'ship that covered 6 credits worth of tuition a semester plus ~$9k/year or so for the full two years, which is a pretty considerable savings.  Her GRE scores were mediocre (not sure if she even submitted them; 'Cuse doesn't require them for the Museum Studies MA although I was told that a good GRE score can make you competitive for school-wide scholarships and fellowships) and IIRC her GPA was right around a 3.0, so it certainly wouldn't be impossible to get good funding there.  I'm actually considering applying myself if they get back to me and tell me that with transfer credits I could do it in a year, assuming I don't get into a history PhD program.  I don't have the desire to work in museums as a career, but I think there are a lot of potential history tie ins there.

In any case, if you're looking for more info feel free to PM me.  I've done some research on this particular program and in addition to my friend who's in it now, another good friend graduated from it this past spring so I could probably get answers to any questions you might have about what life is like in the program.

Edited by fortsibut

I have a friend in Museum Studies at University of Kansas who received funding. https://museumstudies.ku.edu/how-apply

Edit: I should mention that most MA programs don't fully fund everyone. You can cobble together a list of programs that offer partial and full funding for some of their students. In the event you start getting offers but aren't offered full funding, you can try to negotiate for it. I might also suggest having a professor in your department (preferably the chair or your primary mentor) contact programs to sing your praises and feel them out re: funding. It's been known to help among my former colleagues.

Edited by ashiepoo72