Vision and Dental?

havemybloodchild

4 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Hey y’all 

Can anyone tell me if university health insurance typically covers dental or vision? Trying to plan ahead. Thanks!

Using Google to search for each school's student health insurance policy may get you better information.

4 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

@Sigaba was looking for more general information. Tried digging through the websites of the 20 schools I applied to and didn’t find much detail, unfortunately. May have to try again!

FWIW, using Google and searching for the following is producing good general information. YMMV.

[school name] student health insurance

Typically, no, they don't. Some universities have add-on packages you can purchase - for example, at Columbia, dental was an additional $250 a year on top of the student health insurance.

I don't remember how I had vision coverage in graduate school; I think that was also an additional package. I needed to purchase that because I wear glasses.

• 3 weeks later...

My current school offers amazing health insurance that includes vision and dental for its graduate employees. It's probably the best health insurance I've ever had in my life and I pay a very small amount towards it each month. My union rocks.

Where I did my masters, they offered nothing at all, not even the most basic health insurance.

So it really depends on the school.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 9:36 PM, kendalldinniene said:

@Sigaba was looking for more general information. Tried digging through the websites of the 20 schools I applied to and didn’t find much detail, unfortunately. May have to try again!

I think what @Sigaba , in their usually rude fashion, is trying to suggest is that the health insurance for each university differs.  My friend goes to UCSC and they offer dental, vision, and mental health.  I'm sure each program varies depending on the funding that university has to provide for health care, but, yes, some universities offer dental and vision.

1 minute ago, Ternwild said:

I think what @Sigaba , in their usually rude fashion, is trying to suggest is that the health insurance for each university differs.  My friend goes to UCSC and they offer dental, vision, and mental health.  I'm sure each program varies depending on the funding that university has to provide for health care, but, yes, some universities offer dental and vision.

That's about what I figured.  Congrats on your acceptance, btw!

Just now, kendalldinniene said:

That's about what I figured.  Congrats on your acceptance, btw!

Thanks.  You as well!  Though your signature is quite confusing to follow...xD

On 1/7/2019 at 7:50 PM, kendalldinniene said:

Hey y’all 

Can anyone tell me if university health insurance typically covers dental or vision? Trying to plan ahead. Thanks!

I would definitely ask someone who works in the graduate school office, a grad student in your department, and/or your future PI. Looking up health insurance can be confusing (the school I plan on going to has two health insurance types/premuims along with two different premiums for vision plans), so getting a definite answer from the school reassured me.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am accepted to a UC school and UC SHIP which is the student health plan does cover medical, vision, dental ad I can cover my dependents through the plan as well. My husband is accepted to a private university nearby and his student insurance will only cover medical for himself. No vision or dental and no dependents. So it can vary widely but I give the UC system HUGE props for their plan.