Over six transcripts for undergraduate work?

TessaMM

Question

Hi everyone! I am looking to apply to a master's program next year. A potential problem that occurred to me is that I will have at least six different transcripts from different schools. I transferred once in undergrad, took community college courses at two different schools, and did a post-bacc. I am worried that this might show I was unable to commit to a program/school. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? 

4 answers to this question

7 hours ago, TessaMM said:

Hi everyone! I am looking to apply to a master's program next year. A potential problem that occurred to me is that I will have at least six different transcripts from different schools. I transferred once in undergrad, took community college courses at two different schools, and did a post-bacc. I am worried that this might show I was unable to commit to a program/school. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? 

If there is space for explaining your circumstances, do so succinctly. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much, because there's nothing else you can do.

Just wanted to say I'm in the exact same boat except 4 transcripts. In my SOP I briefly mentioned (only ~2 sentences) that I spent time trying to figure out what major was right for me, and now I know for sure I'm doing what I want (this was the approach I was advised to take by a current Master's Student at the school I applied to). Haven't gotten a response yet, but if I get an interview I'll let you know how it goes, as I'm sure they will ask about it.

As long as your grades are decent, this shouldn't hurt you, especially if all the classes are in similar fields. I have 5 different transcripts (early grades bad, later grades good), and have a few admits to some phD programs. I didn't mention this in my SOP nor did it come up in interviews. If you're applying to harvard then maybe they might take a second look, but otherwise you should be fine. 

On 2/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, crackademik said:

As long as your grades are decent, this shouldn't hurt you, especially if all the classes are in similar fields. I have 5 different transcripts (early grades bad, later grades good), and have a few admits to some phD programs. I didn't mention this in my SOP nor did it come up in interviews. If you're applying to harvard then maybe they might take a second look, but otherwise you should be fine. 

That is really encouraging, thanks for sharing!