Spring admissions: how eccentric is that?

AtTJP

Question

Hi everyone.

I'm planning to apply for a PhD in Chemical Engineering for a Spring term intake. Therefore, I contacted via e-mail some US universities that accept Spring admissions (I checked it on their websites). However, most of those universities said that "very few students are admitted for Spring", "we admit for Spring only if there are available spots" or "if a professor requests a Spring admission for a certain student, we can consider it".

Based on all these answers, I understand that most of those universities does not have a cohort for Spring admitted students, but can accept some students occasionally according to the department’s needs. As the main term of admission is Fall, I am afraid that Spring admissions for engineering graduate programs are so less common (or rare) that it might not worth the try.

My point is: does a Spring application worth the try for most engineering PhD programs?

Has anyone here ever been admitted for Spring in a Chemical Engineering graduate program (or related areas) in a US university?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers to this question

On 1/16/2019 at 5:30 AM, ThiagoJP said:

Hi everyone.

I'm planning to apply for a PhD in Chemical Engineering for a Spring term intake. Therefore, I contacted via e-mail some US universities that accept Spring admissions (I checked it on their websites). However, most of those universities said that "very few students are admitted for Spring", "we admit for Spring only if there are available spots" or "if a professor requests a Spring admission for a certain student, we can consider it".

Based on all these answers, I understand that most of those universities does not have a cohort for Spring admitted students, but can accept some students occasionally according to the department’s needs. As the main term of admission is Fall, I am afraid that Spring admissions for engineering graduate programs are so less common (or rare) that it might not worth the try.

My point is: does a Spring application worth the try for most engineering PhD programs?

Has anyone here ever been admitted for Spring in a Chemical Engineering graduate program (or related areas) in a US university?

Thanks in advance!

If the chances are so low, there certainly is more incentive to apply for Fall admissions, because the application process involves a lot of time and commitment, on your part and your recommenders, and having to go through this process twice, in the event that you fail the first time, is probably not the best use of your time. However, if you feel that you are the cream of the crop, in terms of your research experiences, publication record, and academic record, then sure, give it a shot.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:41 PM, Noegenesis said:

If the chances are so low, there certainly is more incentive to apply for Fall admissions, because the application process involves a lot of time and commitment, on your part and your recommenders, and having to go through this process twice, in the event that you fail the first time, is probably not the best use of your time. However, if you feel that you are the cream of the crop, in terms of your research experiences, publication record, and academic record, then sure, give it a shot.

You're certainly right. Thanks for your replying.

The main problem is that Spring admissions at these universities are conditionate to available spots, which is never guaranteed. I take the risk of applying for a program that will not be able to admit anybody for Spring term.

In fact, as I am from Brazil, I don't know pretty much how the process of Spring admissions works in the US. Have you ever applied for Spring, Noegenesis? Is this really how things work on Spring admissions?

8 hours ago, ThiagoJP said:

You're certainly right. Thanks for your replying.

The main problem is that Spring admissions at these universities are conditionate to available spots, which is never guaranteed. I take the risk of applying for a program that will not be able to admit anybody for Spring term.

In fact, as I am from Brazil, I don't know pretty much how the process of Spring admissions works in the US. Have you ever applied for Spring, Noegenesis? Is this really how things work on Spring admissions?

I've never applied for Spring admissions, and schools will definitely vary in their policies. Your best bet is to talk to the schools that you are interested in and ask them specifically about the admissions process during Spring. Good luck!