Applying for a postbacc with POI while app is under review?

higaisha

Howdy smart folks of the psych forum. I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands, and I'd like to get your thoughts on it. Basically, I'm wondering if it is unprofessional/in poor taste to apply for a post-bacc position under someone I have applied to work with in PhD admissions while my application is in review. 

I'll break down some of the facts

1. Me and the POI have been in correspondence, so i'm not really cold-calling
  2. I have no clue at what point of the review process my app is in
  3. I am highly unlikely to be accepted in to the school anyway, so its just a matter of asking sooner rather than later for a backup 
  4. I feel the opportunity is time-sensitive, so I don't want to wait until I'm formally rejected to reach out
  5. In the odd chance I'm in the running, I don't want to come across as someone who's kind of accepting defeat 

WWYD? Thanks!

Edited by higaisha

I don't see why it would be a problem. You could mention in your cover letter that you've also applied to their PhD program and would prefer to be in the lab in that role, but are also interested in the post-bac position if that doesn't occur. Personally I think it's realistic, not accepting defeat.

Edited by lewin