Fall 2019 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

Hi, I have not heard back from USC masters in computer science ( Data Science). Anybody has any idea when they will send out results?
Also about the waitlist in MSDS NYU, Is there gonna be another round of admissions? 

On 5/14/2019 at 6:45 AM, sepuede said:

Hi, I have not heard back from USC masters in computer science ( Data Science). Anybody has any idea when they will send out results?
Also about the waitlist in MSDS NYU, Is there gonna be another round of admissions? 

Hi, I got my admission letter from USC in the beginning of April, so I assume they have sent most of the admissions already. Maybe you're on the waitlist?

As for NYU, I was also on the waitlist and never got any news.

@esmebil same. in the mail back then they said that they could answer as late as the start of the semester, so i guess there is still time. Furthermore, it'd be very disappointing if they just left us hanging and not even send a decline letter, i don't expect that to happen

58 minutes ago, dkzrni said:

@esmebil same. in the mail back then they said that they could answer as late as the start of the semester, so i guess there is still time. Furthermore, it'd be very disappointing if they just left us hanging and not even send a decline letter, i don't expect that to happen

I am international so start of the term would be too late for me considering the whole visa process. Anyway we’ll find out I guess.

Just got accepted off the NYU waitlist today

GPA: 3.74/4.00

Undergrad: NYU Double major in Business & Math, minor in computer science

GRE: 335 (R 166 M 169)

No publications/research experience

Just graduated undergrad, worked part-time and summer interned in various data science positions the past 3 years

Best of luck to those still on the waitlist! I was told earlier that decisions could come out till as late as the first day of courses

Edited by throaway23645
clarify admissions outcome

Does anybody have any idea about Columbia's MSDS waitlist? On May 3rd, they mentioned that they're going to let everyone know their final decisions in the next two weeks. It's the end of the third week and still no word from the admissions committee.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:08 AM, sepuede said:

@esmebil I hope there is!

@throaway23645 congrats on the admission. Are you going to accept it? Until when do you have time to accept the offer?

Hi @sepuede, 

Yes, I accepted it, it was my only application as I'm going to be doing it part-time. I was accepted on the 23rd and had a month to respond. Best of luck!

On 5/24/2019 at 9:24 AM, throaway23645 said:

Just got accepted off the NYU waitlist today

GPA: 3.74/4.00

Undergrad: NYU Double major in Business & Math, minor in computer science

GRE: 335 (R 166 M 169)

No publications/research experience

Just graduated undergrad, worked part-time and summer interned in various data science positions the past 3 years

Best of luck to those still on the waitlist! I was told earlier that decisions could come out till as late as the first day of courses

Hi... congratulations on your admit! Could you tell me by when do you have to respond to the offer? I was waitlisted on 13th March and have been waiting ever since!

I do have an admit from Northwestern MSiA but have my heart set on NYU DS :(

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, agent_nyu said:

Nope. I didn't receive any. Did you receive any updates from NYU?

same here. been wait-listed in march and haven't heard since. when i login to my application, theres nothing new - still looks like the day i submitted it

On 6/26/2019 at 9:59 PM, dkzrni said:

same here. been wait-listed in march and haven't heard since. when i login to my application, theres nothing new - still looks like the day i submitted it

Do you think there would be another round for wait list? 

6 hours ago, agent_nyu said:

Do you think there would be another round for wait list? 

I really hope there is. I mean, why keep us in the air if they could just let us know we weren't accepted? Last thing they said to me is that offers can go out until sometime in august. So my guess is that historically people reject/cancel until the last minute and they offer the vacant spots to those on the waitlist? but this is only a guess. 

48 minutes ago, dkzrni said:

I really hope there is. I mean, why keep us in the air if they could just let us know we weren't accepted? Last thing they said to me is that offers can go out until sometime in august. So my guess is that historically people reject/cancel until the last minute and they offer the vacant spots to those on the waitlist? but this is only a guess. 

Don't you think it would be too late if they release some acceptance in July or something. This may cause some problems for international students. Moreover, finding accommodation this late would be difficult too. I really hope that they release some acceptance soon. 

28 minutes ago, agent_nyu said:

Don't you think it would be too late if they release some acceptance in July or something. This may cause some problems for international students. Moreover, finding accommodation this late would be difficult too. I really hope that they release some acceptance soon. 

yep. never mentioned that I think this is fair, it's just what they said: " Please note that we do not have a timeframe for finalizing decisions for the waitlist. Generally, applicants can be admitted to a program until the start of the semester so offers can go out until sometime in August.  "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone, I am applying to Fall 2020 Data Science master programs and came across this thread as I try to seek some advice. I really hope I could hear some precious opinions from previous applicants!

So I just got admitted by UPenn MSE in Data Science in the early round, still waiting for Harvard MSDS, CMU MCDS, MIIS and Stanford MS in Statistics DS track. I am now a bit hesitant about whether I should still apply to NYU and Columbia for their Data Science program.

I understand I am way less eligible to decide between NYU, Columbia and UPenn than folks like @Tcrista, but I really hope I could hear from those who chose UPenn/NYU/Columbia DS Programs: What's your review of your program? If you chose one over the other, what was your reason? Any information is appreciated!

(seems like we have a tradition of profile here: 

Undergrad Institution: UCLA

Undergrad Major: double major in Physics and Stats

GPA: 3.85 (3.92 Major GPA)

GRE (V/Q/AW): 163/167/4

Other: I just graduated in 2019 and only had one intern and one full-time experience, both as machine learning engineer at high-tech companies. Only research experience in Physics.)

Edited by yayayayaya