F-1 Visa in America

Hello, I am currently on an F-1 visa in America and I am from a European country. I am currently finishing my master program and I have an F-1 visa which was given 2 years ago. The visa is a 5-year student visa. I will be starting my Ph.D. program in the US in Fall 2019 semester, probably in a different school than my master school. I do not want to go back to my country as it is semi-problematic and the plane tickets are super expensive. Can I transfer my SEVIS record directly to my Ph.D. school when I am in America? Can I renew my visa later, like in 2 years? Or should I go back my country this summer and get a new visa?

Ask the international office.

As far as I know yo don't need to change the sticker in your passport but make sure to save all your I-20s. The sticker only allows you permission to enter the US really; the I20 and the like determine whether you're legally allowed to be present in the US.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you've already figured this out, but I'll post this for others to see. According to my school's international services, you can transfer your SEVIS to your new school as long as your new program's start date is within 5 months of your old program's end date (5 months between SEVIS activities). As long as your F-1 visa (along with your I-20 and passport) is valid when you do this, it should be fine and you can stay in the US between programs.