SLP Program at the University of Maine

Hi everybody! 

I was wondering if anyone here has applied (or is applying) to UMaine? I won't be applying until next year, and this is one of my possible choices. As a Canadian applicant, I wanted to apply to one or two US schools to increase my chances of being accepted. I've heard that UMaine has been known to accept quite a few Canadian applicants, and I know it has the option for an additional prereq semester, which is useful to me and my Linguistics undergrad degree, lol.

Besides that, I haven't heard much about the program or seen anyone mentioning it on forums. Does anyone know the programs reputation/culture or have any opinions about the school and its SLP program?

Thanks!! And good luck to everyone currently applying ?

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to Maine this year. I am Canadian with an undergrad in Psychology. I would be super interested to see others input because I also haven't been able to find much! What drew me was the cheaper tuition for Canadian students compared to other international students. 

@acampbell nice to finally see someone else who's applying!! There's gotta be some people out there with opinions, but I've yet to find them haha. I felt that the website was a little more bare-bones than most of the others I've looked at. I was also super intrigued to see a reduced tuition rate for Canadians, that would be helpful for sure!

You mentioned that your undergrad is psych - are you planning on completing the CSD prereqs during your first semester if accepted, or have you already completed them? 

@whalezie I applied to be considered for provisional to do my prereqs there next year!  If I don't get in I will probably apply to another school in the states as a non degree seeking student or a post bac program to take the pre reqs next year

• 2 weeks later...

UMaine does have a history of accepting Canadian students. Several faculty members themselves hail from our northern neighbor. The program runs five semesters and is a mix of onsite clinicals (Conley Speech & Hearing Center) and at ocal schools and hospitals. I highly recommend reaching out to the graduate program director. He will be super helpful and like you has a background in linguistics.