Roanoke, VA

zuska

Hi guys,

I am thinking of accepting an offer from Virginia Tech and I was hoping to hear from somebody that is based in Roanoke. I am aware that VTech is mainly located in Blacksburg, but I would most likely be based in Roanoke where Fralin and  Carilion research institutes are located. 

Based on my internet research I really really think I would love this city, but it would be great to hear from somebody that lives/lived there. 

Thanks in advance for any comments :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 6:30 AM, zuska said:

Hi guys,

I am thinking of accepting an offer from Virginia Tech and I was hoping to hear from somebody that is based in Roanoke. I am aware that VTech is mainly located in Blacksburg, but I would most likely be based in Roanoke where Fralin and  Carilion research institutes are located. 

Based on my internet research I really really think I would love this city, but it would be great to hear from somebody that lives/lived there. 

Thanks in advance for any comments :) 

I lived just outside Blacksburg for a few years!  Roanoke is pretty up and coming.  When we first moved to the area (5ish years ago) Roanoke was honestly ...kind of gross.  The downtown area had a super cool farmer market on the weekends and a couple cute local shops, but then the rest of the buildings were empty.  However,  in the past couple years there has been a lot of improvement! A lot of cool new breweries opened (if you like beer - Chaos Mountain Brewing is probably like 20 min outside of Roanoke and was our favorite!), some new shops were going in downtown, the mall area was improving, etc.  There is also FANTASTIC hiking nearby - if you like to hike definitely check out Tinker Falls and Dragons Tooth. It definitely has a small city vibe and is very easy to navigate. The area is very economically depressed and unemployment rates are very high, pretty conservative politically, and high crime in certain areas.  

The education you will get through Tech and Carilion is top notch!  I only ever heard good things from people receiving their education through both of those institutions. 

On 2/20/2019 at 5:42 PM, liznlex said:

I lived just outside Blacksburg for a few years!  Roanoke is pretty up and coming.  When we first moved to the area (5ish years ago) Roanoke was honestly ...kind of gross.  The downtown area had a super cool farmer market on the weekends and a couple cute local shops, but then the rest of the buildings were empty.  However,  in the past couple years there has been a lot of improvement! A lot of cool new breweries opened (if you like beer - Chaos Mountain Brewing is probably like 20 min outside of Roanoke and was our favorite!), some new shops were going in downtown, the mall area was improving, etc.  There is also FANTASTIC hiking nearby - if you like to hike definitely check out Tinker Falls and Dragons Tooth. It definitely has a small city vibe and is very easy to navigate. The area is very economically depressed and unemployment rates are very high, pretty conservative politically, and high crime in certain areas.  

The education you will get through Tech and Carilion is top notch!  I only ever heard good things from people receiving their education through both of those institutions. 

Thank you very much for your response! :) I have read that there is/was a problem with a lot of empty buildings and crime so I am a bit sad that you can confirm this is true. Other than that Roanoke seems really great to me! 

Which areas specifically would you avoid? I have read that Melrose Ave is not good.

Thanks again!

On 2/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, AllAboutThatChem said:

Can I ask, what stipend you were offered.  My offer include about 26K and I am worried if its enough to live on in the area.  Any insight?

I was offered 27.5k so almost the same amount as you. I am also a bit worried it may not be enough, but I know it is not too bad for that area. 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, zuska said:

Thank you very much for your response! :) I have read that there is/was a problem with a lot of empty buildings and crime so I am a bit sad that you can confirm this is true. Other than that Roanoke seems really great to me! 

Which areas specifically would you avoid? I have read that Melrose Ave is not good.

Thanks again!

I remember that Grandin Village was a good area ! Further out by like Cave Springs, Mill Mountain, and Hollins are all nice and pretty safe areas. You would also probably be in a great location to live behind the large Carilion Hospital in the woodcliff area- it would put you right by the hospital and there is a shopping area with starbucks, grocery store, pharmacy, etc nearby (When I would go to Roanoke to see friends or for work I often ended up around this area near the hospital and never felt unsafe). I would avoid nearly all of downtown and there were some rougher areas out by the mall. 

Also, while 26k is not a lot, I do think you will be able to get by on it. Being a fairly rural small city cost of living is pretty reasonable! If you are good with budgeting I think you will be ok! 

22 hours ago, liznlex said:

I remember that Grandin Village was a good area ! Further out by like Cave Springs, Mill Mountain, and Hollins are all nice and pretty safe areas. You would also probably be in a great location to live behind the large Carilion Hospital in the woodcliff area- it would put you right by the hospital and there is a shopping area with starbucks, grocery store, pharmacy, etc nearby (When I would go to Roanoke to see friends or for work I often ended up around this area near the hospital and never felt unsafe). I would avoid nearly all of downtown and there were some rougher areas out by the mall. 

Also, while 26k is not a lot, I do think you will be able to get by on it. Being a fairly rural small city cost of living is pretty reasonable! If you are good with budgeting I think you will be ok! 

Thank you, that's very helpful! ?

• 4 weeks later...

I am from Roanoke! Lived there for 22 years and went to Roanoke College in Salemfor undergrad. It's definitely changed a lot from when I was a kid. It's so up and coming now. The cheap cost of living is very attractive for sure. The area just got their Amtrak station back so it's much easier to travel now as the airport is awful. All of my family + friends are still there and I go home multiple times a year. If you have any specific questions, definitely message me!