Stanford Ed Phd?!

autobots

The waiting game is hard.

I see a few people have asked questions on the results page about if anyone has heard back from the Stanford Ed PhD programs yet.

While we wait for any news, I figured I would make a post to see what programs people applied to/what contact they've had with the program so far. I applied to the CTE Math program.

From the results page, it seems like decisions came out around next week for the previous years. Their admissions page confirms this. Without any contact from professors, I wonder if  I should just assume I wasn't accepted ??‍♀️.

stanford.PNG

6 hours ago, naoone said:

From the results page, it seems like decisions came out around next week for the previous years. Their admissions page confirms this. Without any contact from professors, I wonder if  I should just assume I wasn't accepted ??‍♀️.

stanford.PNG

From what I know, most of the applicants haven't received replies from their desired professors, including me... 

I've been in pretty consistent contact with a few professors who reached out to me about two weeks ago and can shed a little light on what's happening right now. One of them told me that the process is: from the initial hundreds of applications, about 30-45 (I can't remember the number precisely) get a full faculty review. In that full faculty review, each application gets read by a minimum of two faculty members. If they are interested in a person, they'll set up a phone call. If an applicant specifically mentioned a faculty member, that's brought to the faculty member's attention. One professor who called me was one of the two that I mentioned in my application. In other cases, faculty members call whoever's research interests they are drawn to. This was the case with the other professor who called me. One of the professors emailed me for a conversation the next day and told me that she was in a bit of a rush because she wanted to talk before some kind of... faculty meeting about candidates that week. We talked Monday the 28th, so I'm assuming whatever event she was talking about was Friday the 1st. The other professor reached out the next day, so I had two phone interviews that week. They've put me in contact with a few current students over the past week and have been quite thorough in answering my questions. That all feels positive, but one of them was very careful not to give me the impression that I was in, and made clear they were talking to a number of candidates. Any questions you have, let me know. Best of luck to all.

* I should note that all my information is only relevant to CTE

Edited by JWalters

Does Stanford interview phd candidates? If the admission decision is coming out this week as indicated on the website, for those of us who haven't received any words from the committee or professors, does it mean pretty much no? 

17 minutes ago, Sophieee said:

Does Stanford interview phd candidates? If the admission decision is coming out this week as indicated on the website, for those of us who haven't received any words from the committee or professors, does it mean pretty much no? 

Your chances are diminished if no professor has interviewed you up to this point, in most cases.

7 hours ago, JWalters said:

Your chances are diminished if no professor has interviewed you up to this point, in most cases.

Yep, that makes sense to me. I'm alright with that as I knew that the fit wasn't as great as with my other applications-- I'll take the no response as a 'no'. Best of luck to everyone as we continue to wait to hear back!

• 4 months later...

Some context for previous/future SHIPS applicants: Admissions this past year was more challenging than the usual, most likely due to several faculty going on sabbatical this year (2019-2020). Pro tip: Try to find out whether your POI will be on campus before naming them in your application. :)

source: am a Stanford student

• 5 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, JWalters said:

I've been in pretty consistent contact with a few professors who reached out to me about two weeks ago and can shed a little light on what's happening right now. One of them told me that the process is: from the initial hundreds of applications, about 30-45 (I can't remember the number precisely) get a full faculty review. In that full faculty review, each application gets read by a minimum of two faculty members. If they are interested in a person, they'll set up a phone call. If an applicant specifically mentioned a faculty member, that's brought to the faculty member's attention. One professor who called me was one of the two that I mentioned in my application. In other cases, faculty members call whoever's research interests they are drawn to. This was the case with the other professor who called me. One of the professors emailed me for a conversation the next day and told me that she was in a bit of a rush because she wanted to talk before some kind of... faculty meeting about candidates that week. We talked Monday the 28th, so I'm assuming whatever event she was talking about was Friday the 1st. The other professor reached out the next day, so I had two phone interviews that week. They've put me in contact with a few current students over the past week and have been quite thorough in answering my questions. That all feels positive, but one of them was very careful not to give me the impression that I was in, and made clear they were talking to a number of candidates. Any questions you have, let me know. Best of luck to all.

* I should note that all my information is only relevant to CTE

I'm applying for the CTE program in Fall2020, could you share more info about your phone interview? Thannnnnk you!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 4:04 PM, nm16 said:

Some context for previous/future SHIPS applicants: Admissions this past year was more challenging than the usual, most likely due to several faculty going on sabbatical this year (2019-2020). Pro tip: Try to find out whether your POI will be on campus before naming them in your application. :)

source: am a Stanford student

Any insider info for this year's admissions timeline? :D

On 2/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, Rhac16 said:

Any insider info for this year's admissions timeline? :D

it's coming it's coming! as far as i can tell, the faculty have made their choices and decisions will go out once the university approves them