Money or Dream School?

Germie

Hello!

I'm a current Undergrad senior who got really lucky this year and wound up getting in everywhere I applied. I'm so grateful, but now comes the tough part - deciding! A few of my schools (UColorado, Pitt, Northwestern) didn't give me any funding, so it was pretty easy to turn them down. MGH just doesn't interest me after having visited. However, that leaves me with two more, and I can't seem to decide between them:

University of Washington (Seattle)

The school I've wanted to go to since I started looking

Pros: It's in Seattle (I'm a city kind of girl), great swing dancing scene, great specialized medical SLP program, amazing faculty and department with whom I've bonded

Cons: Only giving me $10k in funding yearly ($13k left in tuition+fees that I'd have to pay), far away from home (Pittsburgh, PA)

Purdue

The school willing to give me lots of money

Pros: My first year would be covered + stipend by the Knox fellowship, research lab will fund my second year+possible PhD, 2nd best program in the country

Cons: It's in the middle of nowhere, Doesn't have strong hospital connections (my specialization is medical)

I have no idea what to do - go to UW and graduate with $23,000+ in debt (not too bad, I know, but still) or go to Purdue and potentially be bored out of my mind? On one hand, it's only a 2 year program, on the other... I may want to move to Seattle anyway, and it'd be nice to get experience at some of their hospitals!

Advice? Suggestions? Please?

One question I would look into if I were you is how much it is going to cost for housing in Seattle. From reading your post, I am under the impression that not only is UW not offering you tuition, but you will also have to come up with probably somewhere around $20,000 a year for living expenses. I'm also wondering if you are going to have enough free time to justify the extra expense of living in Seattle while pursuing your graduate degree for the occasional night out? Also, is there a way to give yourself a hospital connection while at Purdue, perhaps through a summer internship or something similar?

dream school! you want to feel excited about every part of the process. and who knows, you may be able to get more funding for the second year after getting into the mix a bit and building relationships there. i'm a firm believer in going where the heart directs (with occasional tempering by reason). and that amount of debt is really minimal.

good luck!

keondra.

Hi, I'm a fellow SLP student :)

UW is ranked 5, right? So it's not like it matters which one you go to if you want to get a PhD in the future. In this case, I would definitely choose Seattle.

Here's why: SLP jobs are always in high demand. You will most definitely be able to pay off your loans, without any problem. I strongly believe that location matters just as much to overall happiness as the funding they'll give you. Granted, it would be great if they could fund you fully (and you might try telling UW that they're your top choice, but Purdue is offering you much more and see what they can do- you never know!). But it's your dream school, in a location you love, with the specialization you're interested in (and it's hard to find schools that specialize in med SLP!).

I really think you should choose UW. The only pros you've listed for Purdue is the funding, whereas you've listed a lot of pros unrelated to funding for UW. Go to UW and be happy!

I think you can do a simple test to determine where you should go. If Purdue were located in a large city, say, Chicago for example and everything else was the same (funding, professors, enthusiasm, etc), where would you go? You'd have two schools (one which u loooove) and another you like - but they were both in the City? If you'd still take Seattle, then, you have your answer right there. If Purdue were in Chicago (or another large city), and you'd pick that one - then, I think u may be overlooking the fact that while Purdue is more isolated, there'll be thousands of students right around you, and you'd still have fun there.

Hope this helps!

Personally, I'd say Purdue. Solid funding is hard to ignore and the fact that it's the #2 school is additionally impressive. The ability to focus on your studies without ever having to worry about finances is a tremendous blessing and, regardless of what others night say, financing your education on loans when it could otherwise be free is just bad financial planning. Loans mean your first several jobs offers are paying that much less (not o mention it'll be harder to get good interest rates on a first house, etc). I'd also add that Purdue is most certainly not in the "middle of nowhere." It's certainly not massive, but it's got its own scene. Try looking up "Western Carolina University." THAT'S nowhere.

I guess my thought in the end is that location is always temporary, while debt can last for 15, 20, 30 years. A few years at Purdue, studying at one of the best schools in the country while drawing a VERY generous stipend for a Master's student is more likely to set you in good stead in the long run than living in an admittedly cool city, while you borrow the equivalent of the mortgage on a first house. Then again, I'm 36 with a wife and son, so I tend to be a bit more pragmatic than I was right out of college. (Though to be honest, making money right out of college was pretty nice ;) )

I personally think it's a bit foolish not to choose Purdue. It's a GREAT university and it's ranking speaks volumes. The Midwest is a great area to study and it makes me sad that people automatically think it's in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. The program is only two years and they're offering you so much financially that you'll be able to sleep easier knowing that you won't have to burden yourself with so much loans from grad school.

I agree with Postbib Yeshuist and JayF. I would take the school that is offering me the money that would allow me not to be in debt later on. Once you start your career, you are going to want to spend that hard earned money on other things besides paying back loans that have built interest. I am sure you will find many things to do in that area. The couple of years you will be in that program will fly by and then you can move. Of course, when you are reading our answers, you are either going to agree with those of us who are saying take the money or those that are saying dream school...it is which ever group of us that you are agreeing with that you have made your decision. No matter which school you end up choosing, it will all work out in the end and you will have an awesome career. Follow your heart!

I would also probably pick Purdue, unless I knew I absolutely couldn't stand it there for some reason. There's always a scene wherever there are college students. ;) The only thing I'd worry about is the lack of hospital connections you speak of. I'd investigate that more.

Interestingly, I live on the West Coast, and yet Purdue still has better name recognition for me than University of Washington. Not that that's a big deal.

But, as someone recently advised me about New York, if you're interested in Seattle you can go there after you get your degree, anytime. With just as awesome degree as if you'd gone to University of Washington, and having saved a lot of money.

As your case might turn out, even if I go to New York, my program is so hectic I probably won't have time to enjoy the city. And I might do better in grad school -- which is just a short period of time -- without the extracurricular distractions, too.

Saving your money now would probably mean enjoying your time more, later on, in Seattle (or wherever) -- because you went to Purdue!

If you definitely want Seattle and can't wait, then I agree with the suggestion of leveraging your Purdue financial aid offer against theirs. You never know.

Edited by Jae B.

Germie:

1. As a current grad student, I can tell you that it very often happens that hierarchies develop within departments leaving unfunded students feeling less-than their funded peers.

2. Unfunded students are less desirable candidates for PhD programs than funded students. As well they have less access to research & teaching opportunities.

3. So, giving up a 2nd ranked school offer to take a 5th ranked school offer makes almost no sense unless you are not planning on going on to PhD and/or you are sure that there are a lot more jobs in your field than there are graduates from schools ranked 1-4.

4. You will be studying too much during the semester for it to matter where you live, but if you really really don't like living out at Purdue you can take out loans for the summer & winter & go somewhere cool. And even trips to Aruba every winter & Praque every summer will still be less $ than paying tuition & living expenses in Seattle.

Edited by dbf

4. You will be studying too much during the semester for it to matter where you live, but if you really really don't like living out at Purdue you can take out loans for the summer & winter & go somewhere cool. And even trips to Aruba every winter & Praque every summer will still be less $ than paying tuition & living expenses in Seattle.

I think this is probably one of the best comments made here in a long time. Think of it this way, Germie. You can take out the max in Stafford subsidized loans each year ($8500) and use that money to go on trips wherever you want. Your favorite band playing in Chicago? Drive 2.5 hours, go see them, spend the night in a hotel, then head back to Purdue. Love the beach? Go on some Caribbean or Hawaiian vacations! You could do tons of traveling (or pay for others to visit you) on that $8500 and still have less debt than you would if you went to U Washington.

And, since that credential is so versatile, you will have your choice of where to live once you finish your degree. If you want to live in Seattle then, you totally can.

You don't want to go where you'll be bored (I mean bored with the program and faculty, not bored with the city. It's a small sacrifice to be bored with the city for two years). Honestly I don't think either of your Purdue cons have anything to do with the program, really - it may not have strong hospital connections but that may be something you can build on your own. Also, two of your pros for UW shouldn't even really be a consideration. It's only 2 years and you are going to have a lot less free time than you think. The swing-dancing scene shouldn't factor into your degree consideration.

I will add this - I'm in a doctoral program in NYC; I love the city and I do have a little bit of free time to enjoy it, especially during the summers. I like going to museums and stuff like that on the weekends. However, the trade-off is that it's extremely expensive to live here. I was checking Purdue out for a friend and the cost of living there is ridiculously low. You can rent an apartment for one-quarter of what me and my roommate are paying for a two-bedroom here. While Seattle isn't one of the most expensive U.S. cities, it will certainly be more expensive than the area Purdue is in, and that makes a big difference when you're living on a meager grad-student stipend. Like others have pointed out, that could mean the difference between living comfortably and scraping by.

$26,000 isn't a whole lot to take out in loans. The balance rests with how you're going to pay for living expenses. Will you also have to borrow for that (and Seattle will cost more than Indiana) or can you work? If you have to borrow living expenses that's another $40,000 at best ($20K per year) so we're looking at $66K here, just for the master's. Add that to whatever you borrowed for undergrad, and you're looking at a mountain of debt.

For a two-year stint I think I'd follow the money. You could always move to Seattle later with your Purdue degree if you like. I'm towards the end of my second year in a doctoral program and I'm surprised how much the time has flown - if I were in a master's program, I'd be almost finished by now.

I don't have much to add as many important points have already been made. I didn't see you mention if you visited the two schools though. I think visiting the schools will make a difference in how you feel about the programs, especially after talking to teachers and current students. They can help you determine many aspects that you're uncertain about. For example, you may find Seattle to be a great city, but you won't have much time to enjoy it, while West Lafayette may offer a smaller, tighter community with just enough to fill your free time. If you really want to work in a hospital, maybe the staff at Purdue can specially arrange a hospital placement for you or one further away over the summer.

I'm actually interested in finding out what MGH did not interest you. What aspects of the program did you like or dislike? Did you visit Northwestern? How do you think the two schools compare?

I don't have much to add as many important points have already been made. I didn't see you mention if you visited the two schools though. I think visiting the schools will make a difference in how you feel about the programs, especially after talking to teachers and current students. They can help you determine many aspects that you're uncertain about. For example, you may find Seattle to be a great city, but you won't have much time to enjoy it, while West Lafayette may offer a smaller, tighter community with just enough to fill your free time. If you really want to work in a hospital, maybe the staff at Purdue can specially arrange a hospital placement for you or one further away over the summer.

I'm actually interested in finding out what MGH did not interest you. What aspects of the program did you like or dislike? Did you visit Northwestern? How do you think the two schools compare?

I actually just came back from visiting Purdue today (and visited UW last December). UW is definitely a nicer program (in my opinion at least) in terms of research and general campus atmosphere. However, I've sort-of determined that Purdue is "good enough", and I plan to follow the money. You're right; it'll be easier to live on the decent stipend Purdue is offering than the -2billion that UW would cost. Thanks all!!! :-)

As for MGH and Northwestern, I've been to both. MGH was interesting, and they did give me a pretty decent fellowship (not as much as Purdue), but the program itself was very disjointed (in my opinion at least). It isn't really a school so much as an extension of the hospital itself, and I'm really looking for faculty that I feel I can talk to and aren't just running around a hospital at all times. ;-) Northwestern has a BEAUTIFUL campus, but they're primarily in-house in terms of clinical work (not my cup of tea), and I haven't gotten the feeling that their professors had any desire to talk with or be nice to me at all. They seemed quite aloof. That might've just been the day I went, but it wasn't something that gave me any desire to attend their program, you know?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just came back from visiting Purdue today (and visited UW last December). UW is definitely a nicer program (in my opinion at least) in terms of research and general campus atmosphere. However, I've sort-of determined that Purdue is "good enough", and I plan to follow the money. You're right; it'll be easier to live on the decent stipend Purdue is offering than the -2billion that UW would cost. Thanks all!!! :-)

As for MGH and Northwestern, I've been to both. MGH was interesting, and they did give me a pretty decent fellowship (not as much as Purdue), but the program itself was very disjointed (in my opinion at least). It isn't really a school so much as an extension of the hospital itself, and I'm really looking for faculty that I feel I can talk to and aren't just running around a hospital at all times. ;-) Northwestern has a BEAUTIFUL campus, but they're primarily in-house in terms of clinical work (not my cup of tea), and I haven't gotten the feeling that their professors had any desire to talk with or be nice to me at all. They seemed quite aloof. That might've just been the day I went, but it wasn't something that gave me any desire to attend their program, you know?

Congrats!! I bet it was a really tough decision! Best of Luck at Purdue!! I'm sure you're going to LOVE IT!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Germie,

Not sure if you're still following this post or not, but I stumbled upon it and just want to say welcome to Purdue! I'm doing my undergrad here (I'm a senior) and I really hope you enjoy your time here. Honestly, when I first came to school here I wasn't very excited--I really wanted to go to school out of state and I'm from Indiana--but after 3 years here, I have to say this school is a hidden gem. People in SLHS are just great to work with and I have learned a lot here. Good luck with everything!