Should I tell school of other admission offers?

CogSciRob

So I just got accepted to a program at Yale and I'm eager to inform all my letter writers and professors.  What complicates this is that I applied to my current undergraduate institution (UCSD), meaning word would inevitably get back to the selection committee that I've been accepted to Yale and I'm afraid that might negatively influence their decision to accept me.  I could just wait it out, but professors have asked me for updates, and who knows how long the decision process might take.  I'm thinking of letting them know that I've been accepted, but to emphasize that I'm still very interested in UCSD for multiple reasons.  Interested to know what everyone else thinks :)

17 hours ago, CogSciRob said:

So I just got accepted to a program at Yale and I'm eager to inform all my letter writers and professors.  What complicates this is that I applied to my current undergraduate institution (UCSD), meaning word would inevitably get back to the selection committee that I've been accepted to Yale and I'm afraid that might negatively influence their decision to accept me.  I could just wait it out, but professors have asked me for updates, and who knows how long the decision process might take.  I'm thinking of letting them know that I've been accepted, but to emphasize that I'm still very interested in UCSD for multiple reasons.  Interested to know what everyone else thinks :)

Congrats!

I don't think your acceptance to other grad schools will negatively influence your chance to get admitted to your current school. Instead, it proves that you are a very good applicant. Your recommenders and professors understand that you have applied for several programs in different schools and will be very likely to make a decision among some of them in the end. And they will try their best to recruit every good applicant to their program. 

You can also inform them of your application results when you get all the offers. Since they have asked you for updates, it will be great to let them know you have been accepted, but are still interested in their schools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does your current institution have a history of rejecting qualified candidates due to worries about yield? My college's bio PhD program has a thing of not liking our own undergrads (and someone told me the reason was they think we wouldn't come anyway even if admitted), but I hear it's quite rare. In general I agree with Novclouds that it shouldn't hurt, and in fact demonstrates how good you are.